• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the lead - Country, denomination, date or the profile on the Obverse.

257 posts in this topic

George and one year out.. but straits settlement

this coin has di rotation and i am thinking of getting it conserved thumbsup2.gif

1761176-%21.jpg

1761176-%21%21.jpg

hi.gif

1761176-!!.jpg.89f5239013d91c4afdcb4722f76f3bd4.jpg

I thought they were two coins, no problem. Amazing what a little change in lighting and angles can do. Still very nice.

Well I'm out of Florins I think, so since Irvin posed a 1954, here is another 1954, simple yet classy (love canadian coins)

Rey

1954CanadianCentCameo.jpg

1954CanadianCentRev.jpg

Some very nice coins featured above guys. Very impressive.

Here is a 1984 New Zealand 1 cent coin from circulation struck at the Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg. A modified effigy of QE2 was used on the obverse for all circulation denominations of 1984 and 1985 New Zealand coinage. The effigy varies slightly to that on the coins in the Mint and Proof Sets which were struck at a different Mint.

NZ19841ccircobv2.jpgNZ19841ccircrev2.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

hi.gif Brissyboy Welcome to the forum. Interesting analogy thumbsup2.gif

Everybody loves the Beaver 27_laughing.gif

1762433-Picture.jpg

Love canadian coins also Rey here is another 1954 popcorn.gif

(not canadian)

1762433-Picture002.jpg

1762433-Picture.jpg.e5dce0b00df35af3cf901f44a8bfc7b9.jpg

Very nice Yarm. To follow on the theme of "lone figure" on the coin, I would like to present to you all the Australian 2005 90th Anniversary of Gallipoli dollar. These commemorative coins were not released into circulation and are part of the "mintmark" series of coins. Struck by the Royal Australian Mint in Aluminium Bronze the coins have C (Canberra), S (Sydney), B (Brisbane), M (Melbourne) and G (for Gallipoli though released at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra). There are two forms of each mintmark dollar - (1) coins struck on the main presses where the die incorporates the mintmark. These are released through the RAM, post offices and dealers, and (2) coins struck on the main presses without a mintmark and the mintmark is stamped on the coin by a portable press taken to Shows in each of the cities representing that mark. Mintages are very low compared to (1). Only one or two coins are known to have slipped through without the mintmark being stamped on. There is also a Pure Silver Proof coin without a mintmark.

Gallipoli is the location in Turkey where Australian and New Zealand troops stormed the beaches at ANZAC Cove on 25th April 1915 (92 years ago today) and suffered huge casualties due to a bungle up in where they were landed. The troops were ordered to advance wave after wave up the hills around the Cove to be mowed down by machinegun fire. Eventually after months of being pinned down, the remaining troops were withdrawn. ANZAC Day 25th April is one of the most sacrad days in Australia and New Zealand and honours all who have fallen in war.

Featured below is the B mintmark coin image from the RAM website.

2005_Gallipoli_B.jpg

This coin shows a planchet flaw. The coin was one I obtained from the portable press in Brisbane at the ANDA Show in May 2005.

2005GallipoliBportablepressrevflawn.jpg

This coin is a C mintmark found in circulation coins from a poker machine in Brisbane.

2005GallipoliCcirculation.jpg

Brissyboy,

I must say you have some very interesting coins and the background/history that you provide is great.

Thanks,

Rey

Thanks guys. I feel we are not just coin collectors, we are educators, preservers and historians too. The coins or their designs hold our history, tell our stories.

I have just come back to the computer from watching on television the ANZAC Day parade through the streets of Brisbane. It was a moving 2 hours to see the veterans, their descendants and serving personnel march.

I should point out that the ANZACS were not the only servicemen at Gallipoli in 1915. The allies from several countries were there at different beaches and of course there was the brave Turkish troops defending their country from invasion. There were over 500,000 casulties and over 100,000 dead, 86,000 of them Turkish.

Here is the Australian silver proof 2005 ANZAC large dollar struck by the Perth Mint.

2005Anzacsilverrev.jpg2005Anzacsilverobv.jpg

Right now the dawn service is taking place at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli, Turkey. It is beamed live to us in Australia on the television. More tears to be shed today.

Wayne

Interesting Quarter there, and yes the flat detail-less image is similar.

Here are a few other Australian coins commemorating the ANZACS.

Image of the 1990 75th Anniversary of Gallipoli $5 unc in Aluminium Bronze 38.74mm in card.

1990_ANZAC_75th.jpg

1999 The Last ANZACS $1 "A" (Adelaide) mintmark unc in Aluminium Bronze 25mm.

1999_ANZACS_A.jpg

2000 The Last ANZACS $1 unc in Aluminium Bronze 25mm in PNC.

2000_ANZACS_PCN.jpg

My apology that images have been borrowed as I am not able to scan all my own coin and PNC collection to present you with images.

Very nice dollar. Perhaps you guys can give a little description of the coin you feature. I'm not familar with every coin people show.

Here is the Gold Proof version of our 2005 commemorative (circulating) dollar known affectionately as the "Dancing Man" dollar, was released to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the End of World War 2. The theme of the $1 was Peace while the 50c was Remembrance and 20c was Coming Home. This 25mm diameter dollar was the principal circulating dollar design for 2005 in Australia and was issued into circulation in Aluminium Bronze, issued in the 2005 Mint sets, Proof sets, and was also issued in the Pure Silver Proof Year sets and the Gold Proof Year sets.

I have all versions of this coin design.

2005_Peace_Gold_Proof.jpg

Wayne

Hi Wayne.

I posted a 1929-B British Trade Dollar. They were minted by the UK from 1895 to 1935 to facilitate trade in the orient following the US Trade Dollar and the Japanese Trade Dollar. The BTDs were minted in Bombay and Calcutta. The Bombay 'B' mintmark is in the middle prong of the trident while the Calcutta 'C' is between Britannia's foot and shield. The coin was demonetized on August 1, 1937. There's more information on Wikipedia.

I believe this is the only UK coin denominated in dollars. I also like the fact that there is no monarch on it smile.gif

I haven't run across any really nice specimens in this series yet. For some years it seems that MS64 is the PCGS top pop. In the higher grades, some have nasty toning and many are unremarkable white coins. I've seen really nice US and Japanese Trade Dollars, but no British ones yet.

Thanks for the info on the BTD. I did learn a lot from what you wrote.

Interesting about the quality of the coins too. Do you think it could be to do with the purity of the silver used by the Indian Mints?

Wayne

I'm not really sure why I haven't run across any high quality BTDs. The most plausible reason may be that they are not coming up for sale when I'm looking wink.gif I haven't gotten interested enough to start studying pop reports and seeking out high grade examples yet.

If they are indeed rarer in high grades, one plausible reason may be that the people in Asia, where these coins were made and circulated, didn't care much for collecting them. I've also heard that British collectors don't consider these as part of their primary collections so there may be less interest from Brits as well.

You are right there zoins i dont know a single north easten collector who collects them i have had a couple over the years and just let them go .. saying that i dont think i have ever seen a good conddition one for sale at the shows or shops 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

Here is the only BTD that I have, a 1902. Any suggestions/opinions on authenticity and possible grade/value. Being part of my Dad's collection I suspect that it is not a fake.

Thanks,

Rey

BTDObv.jpg

btdrev.jpg