• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just some advice on keeping a hard copy record of your collection

17 posts in this topic

Something I always had in the back of my mind to do, but a couple of things helped me along. This way, I can 'look' at my collection without having to go to the safe deposit box, or even get on the computer...which can be a pain in the neck sometimes.

Also, I think it's a good thing to have packaged WITH your collection, along with reciepts of the original purchase, for possible tax/legal/estate purposes.

First, having a photograph of all of my coins that are in the registry.

I finally figured out how to get a larger pic with a lower density so that it would be easy on the eyes and not so large that it goes off the page.

Giving all the photos a black background adds to the cohesiveness of appearance, as well as making sure all photographs are the same size.

As you probably already know (but it took me awhile to figure out), if you click 'gallery', you get a gallery view of your set, and if you click 'View Coin Details', the coin pops up on one page, enlarged, and with your commentary on the left side. It also includes the coin description, grading service and grade.

I am slowly trying to reduce my commentaries so they fit into less space, and also correct spelling and grammatical errors so that the hard copy is as close to perfect as possible, especially because the paper I'm using is so expensive.

I'm using a Hewlett Packard psc 2210, and I suppose most printers offer similar functions. You can do a print preview of your page by right clicking the mouse over it. I find that for the size photographs I have in my registry sets, I need to reduce the size to 70% in order to get both obverse and reverse to fit on the same page. This looks great when printed out. If my commentary has to run longer than the first page will hold, I'll use regular printer paper to print out the second and third page, if there is one. Again, it would be too expensive to do otherwise.

The paper I'm using is Hewlett Packard Premium Plus Photo Paper with a semi-gloss finish that looks fantastic. There are cheaper brands, such as Staples brand, but I wasn't sure if the quality and longevity would be the same, so I splurged for the HP paper. It's supposed to last over a hundred years, which is more than enough, for my purposes!

There is enough of a margin to punch three holes for a three ring binder, using a three hole punch you can get at a store like staples.

I think this is a pretty neat thing to do, and it looks GREAT.

I also think it gives me incentive to improve on my photography, research and writing, because putting something to hard copy kind of makes me feel like it's more 'final' than something just existing in the ether-world.

As you probably already know (but it took me awhile to figure out), if you click 'gallery', you get a gallery view of your set,

I didn't know that. What a cool feature. Thanks for the heads up on that. thumbsup2.gif

Another way I've found for keeping record of your collection is by using a database, even moreso than a hardcopy.

In particular, Microsoft Access works very well, to create a table using categories that track the following:

1. Year of issue

2. Composition (which metal -- can be done in drop down boxes)

3. Item (just name of coin)

4. Description (more detailed description, including mintmark, grade, serial number, mintage limit, etc.)

5. Purchase price

6. Fair Market/Replacement Value (such as a source from the RedBook or other source)

7. Location (safe deposit box, and which one if you have more than one, home safe, etc.)

These reports can be dropped to Excel spreadsheets, saved to disks, or burned to CDs which can be put in Safe Deposit Boxes, given to insurance agents/companies as inventory in the event of a loss, and so forth. They can be in your emergency kit to grab-and-go in case of a fire, flood, hurricane or other natural disaster.

Also, as you take the inventory, Access numbers each item. Therefore, if you photographed the items as the previous author suggests (a great idea btw), you can match the photos to the inventory by number. And save the photo files to the same CD, with the same access and ability to share.

You can also run queries at any time on value/worth, do searches for items to find them, Access comes in handy that way, to locate what item number it is. No, I am not a Microsoft salesman, in fact I am generally not a fan, but in this case, I found it to be an incredibly useful tool, and well worth the price of the software, especially when combined with Excel, and a CD burner. Keeping the records OFF site as back up, in addition to one perhaps in a fire and waterproof safe though, that is key (just like the hardcopy mentioned by the previous author).

While Access may be a pricey item if you don't already have it, so is photo paper and printer ink, just remember that part.

His point about photographing on a black background is well taken. The ANA sells a nice black velvet tray for a very reasonable price. On their money.org web site.

Mike

A nice thing Google has is a FREE "Docs and Spreadsheets"

Ill publish a example.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pJcgaaMwOkGhG3ndAnb31MA&output=html

These can be made for free after making a Free account with Google.

You can list what ever you’d like in these and access them from any PC wherever you’re at (as long as you have internet).

Comes in handy for want list and such. And you can keep them private or add Collaborators and even those who can view your files by their email.

In particular, Microsoft Access works very well, to create a table using categories that track the following:

While I agree that Access is the tool to use, as a professional Access programmer with nearly 10 years experience, I will say it has a fairly steep learning curve to it and can be overwhelming to novices.

Funny this should be brought up. A friend of mine is a database programmer. I have been talking to him about this.

Most programs are either incomplete or too expensive. Especially the cost of upgrades.

I would like to know which program people use, what they like about it, AND what they wish it had.

I forgot about the CoinManage thread.

One thing on their site that looks interesting is..

Our new EBay™ Completed Item Search lets you instantly view Selling Prices for the coins you specify.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm...

My ponder here is to buy CoinManage or not.

Frankly, writing my own program in Access would be half the fun for me.

Maybe I'll use coin manage for data entry, etc. then output the data to my own program.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmm

They are using a standard, linked MDB file. I opened it in Access, added stuff, then re-opened it in CM. Worked fine. Pretty basic.

DL the 30-day demo and try it out.

The problem I had was DLing all my data from Heritage and putting it in a local database. CM doesn't do it; another program wants .10 per item (choke, choke).

Since Heritage exports a CSV file, I can move 300+ entries into CM easily without their support.

I think what we may do is create a conversion tool for inputting to coin programs and give it away!

I have been using pro-coin for over a year now. I think it costs about $35 for download or $5 more for the CD. It has a great database, create your own graphs, value guides (based on pcgs), free updates, add your own user defined coins.. I like it alot. They have a support email that reponds excellently. I'm not a rep of these software, but by personal experience, have not tried anything better. I have tried others and they don't seem to work as good. they have a 30day free trial if you just want to compare.

OK, I'm liking coin manage, but I can't seem to figure out how to enter grades. Plus, I think I'm monkeying with types rather than entering coins.

Instructions? anyone?

Kind of confusing. Pick a country, denomination, coin series. When you click on the left pic of the coin--actually, double click--a window pops up.

There is a drop down for grade, but it lists all the grades and the different prices. Found you could double-click that price thing and it'l insert the grade.

Does some wierd things. Does VF 20, not 25's; does F-12 and F-16--not 15.

I think it is too much money for what it is. No import ability, etc.