• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #11 - Two part question....

27 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Who is the designer of the Mercury dime?

The Mercury dime bears a portrait of Liberty wearing a winged cap. What does the winged cap symbolize?

First post that correctly answers the above questions wins 3 FREE NGC Earlybird submissions.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Adolph Weinman

She wears a Phrygian Cap the roman attribute of a freed slave. The wings represent freedom of thought.

The coin was designed by Adolph A. Weinman.

Liberty's cap (Phrygian) is the Roman attribute of a freed slave. The wings themselves symbolizes freedom of thought.

Adolph A. Weinman

The Mercury dime bears a portrait of Liberty wearing a winged cap. What does the winged cap symbolize?

She wears a Phrygian cap, the Roman attribute of a freed slave. The wings on her cap represent freedom of thought.

The designer was Adolph A. Weinman, who also did the Walking Liberty Half

She wears a Phrygian cap, the Roman attribute of a freed slave. The wings on her cap represent freedom of thought.

Adolph Alexander Weinman

The Phrygian cap on Liberty was used to symboloze Liberty or freedom of thought. (The cap was symbolic of a freed slave in the times of the Roman Empire).

Hoot

Coin designer: Adolph Weinman.

Winged cap symbolizes: The cap itself is a Phrygian Cap and it is the Roman attribute of a freed slave (Liberty). The wings on the cap symbolize freedom of thought.

Oh man! I can't believe I didn't wait up in front of the computer! This one's so easy I don't need a book! Adolf Weinman designed the mercury dime and the winged cap symbolizes freedom of thought. It was called the Mercury dime not because it appears made out of the element but it resembles the Roman god Mercury--Greek name Hermes.

Adolf also designed the quite popular walking liberty half dollar whose obverse was adopted by the american silver eagle. The outstretched hand of Ms. Liberty, her body draped in the US flag, towards the sunrise resembles the United States going into the future. Both the merc and walker saw peacetime and were in circulation during two wars.

PLEASE OH PLEASE PICK ME!! wink.gif Thanks for the entry anyway!

• Administrator

The questions:

The answer:

Adolph A. Weinman is the designer. The winged cap symbolizes Freedom (or Liberty) of Thought.

The winner is coincollecting!

Your prize is a certificate for 3 Free NGC Earlybird submissions.

The winner of the drawing from all the remaining contestants who answered correctly.....ms66quarters!

Your prize is the "The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, Fourth Edition, Vol. 1"

Prizes will be sent out ASAP.

Thanks to all who played.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, DENA...

And also the fine people who put this site on!!!!!

I can't remember the last time I won anything.

God bless the Red Booksmile.gif

Thank's again

Rob

Looking forward to the book

Way to go ms66quarters and coincollecting! You guys were the snipers on this one!

Hoot

Hoot:

I'm aimed and ready to fire again!!!!!!

AND TO THE FINE PEOPLE AT NGC:

O'h by the way I got my CherryPicker's Guide book today in the mail.

And again,THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

P.S. In returning the favor, im gathering a few coins to submit.

Just a reminder that NGC will certify all varieties listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide under its VarietyPlus service. This and the Red Book determine which varieties NGC will recognize. Email me with any variety questions you may have.

I have received my grading certificates. Thanks to all who have congradulated MS66quarters and myself. Maybe I will be lucky enough to win again.

Good luck to everyone!

WOWWW????

I got a reply from DWL....what an honor, I don't feel like a Newbie anymore!!!

Seriously....for the "new people" reading this, to me spend your money and join this organization, I deal with customers everyday, so therefor customer service is real important to me!

And believe me, you guys (NGC) are right on my list...to take the time to respond to me, from a person at NGC's heirarchy means alot.

Keep up the good work.

Rob