• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deep Cameo vs Ultra Cameo

25 posts in this topic

So it is just a different name for the same thing? I was looking at two coins of the same date with the intent of purchasing one.......one is PF70 DCAM and the other is PF70 Ultra Cameo.

It's exactly the same thing. PCGS uses one term, and NGC uses the other, but they denote the same superlative. May I ask which coin you were thinking of buying?

I never can understand the spread between PCGS and NGC...PCGS is really that much better? (I know, that topic has been discussed only a few hundred times).

Anyway, I went with the NGC one ( actually the individual selling decided not to sell the PCGS coin). I paid $2038 which I believe was a fair price and it is a beautiful coin, a real blazer.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Oh, by the way the 1997 date was the year my daughter was born. It's a gift for her.

Yes but she is a spectacular kid and I have no doubt she will still have this coin ( along with the rest of my collection) long after I am gone. Who knows, maybe she'll pass it on to her children.

deep cameo and ultra cameo are the same designation from PCGS and NGC . ANACS designates them as heavy cameo. Good luck with your search

PCGS tends to demand a slightly heavier frost than NGC for the DCAM vs. UCAM designation. This is not particularly noticeable on the 1971 to present coins as they all tend to have DEEP cameo contrast, but it is fairly noticeable on coins from the 1950's and early 1960's.

trying to collect silver eagles for my 2 daughters.born in 2000 & 1996. anyhelp on which eagles to go for? thanks damon

Personally, I'd start with the Birth Year for EACH daughter, and go from there.

When I say "go from there" I basically mean filling in the years SINCE their birth. I'd start with their birth years though, it just seems "logical."

Then, whether or not you are seeking the Proof or Mint State versions makes a difference on what I recommend as condition and grade.

IF you were sticking with Mint State coins, I'd generally try to get graded (slabbed) coins rather than raw ones, MS69 or better. The difference in price between MS69 and MS70 is usually exorbitant.

If you are seeking PROOF coins, you may opt for just getting them in OGP (Original Government Packaging), OR same standards, PF69 Ultra Cameo. It's a NEAR PERFECT coin and generally costs MUCH more .

CAVEAT: Regardless of how long it may take you to amass the coins for the "back years," you would probably be wise to start buying the new ones when they are released from the United States Mint. Both the Proof and Uncirculated versions are now on sale directly tot he public. www.usmint.gov

If you want them graded, you may submit them to NGC for instance, with a 10% discount off their usual fee if you are a member of their Collector Society AND use their online form to submit them. www.ngccoin.com

Alternative: If you are a member of the ANA, you may submit coins to NGC for grading, no charge for joining, regular grading fees apply (no 10% discount). www.money.org

Next alternative: If you are member of eBay, you may also submit to NGC for just the cost of services selected, and though the link doesn't mention it, I believe the IF you complete the online form, eBay members will find they do indeed get a 10% discount for grading:

http://www.ngccoin.com/ebay_ngcvalue.cfm

Things to also consider as you are compiling the collection:

2006 was the 20th Anniversary year of the Silver American Eagles - thus, if you are looking for something SPECIAL, obtaining either an already certified 20th Anniversary Set or an ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOX for submission may be something to keep your eyes opened for. Perhaps save it for a special event, a college graduation, a wedding, etc. Instructions from NGC about this set are here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=24

Then, other things to consider as you gather NEW year coins as they are released from the Mint: You can subscribe to the program on the Mint's web site at www.usmint.gov

Under SUBSCRIPTIONS, select which item you want, the quantity, and voila! When it's released, you will get it/them, without having to remember to order!

NGC also offers a program to get certification for coins released in the first 30 days, you may have seen this designation/pedigree on Silver Eagles listed on eBay if you shop there at all, it is simply "Early Releases":

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp

You will here some collectors call these a "Marketing Ploy" but the fact of the matter is that during those 30 days following the release of a coin, NGC is SWAMPED with Early Release submissions, in far greater numbers than standard submissions, and while it may be too early to truly judge it, the coins do seem to command a premium price for re-sale on the secondary market.

Lastly, if you are buying graded coins, in general: STICK TO NGC or PCGS -- they are the two more reputable Third Party Grading services (TPGs) around.

53517-earlyreleases_SAMPLE.jpg.1a877d42d8695a9081e9e5f2450ba3f0.jpg

been trying to collect pf69's for both of them.have also bought all new proofs since 2007.would it be wise to send the ones that are not graded to ngc or pcgs.i'm a new member of collector society do i have to wait for somekind of package in mail for free submissions? thanks for all the help guys.just want something nice to leave to daughters. thanks again damon

It has to be mailed to NGC the unopened box from the Mint. Yoy have to get it and then submit it to NGC without opening the parcel in which the 20 th Anniversary is enclosed.

The reason for this is that the 2006 W in Proof and MS were produced separate from the 20th Anniversary set and there is now way to tell the difference in a raw coin.

The Reverse Proof in the set is a different story as that is the only place it can be found. You can send in the Reverse Proof and get the Black Anniversary label as it can only be found in the 20th Anniversary set.

I was also curious about the difference between Ultra Cameo and Deep Cameo so I asked a coin dealer. He told me that the difference is that Ultra Cameo means that it is cameo on both sides of the coin and Deep Cameo is cameo on one side only.
Might be time you found a dealer who knew what he was talking about... hm

Well I'm just starting out in this field and I am likely to believe anyone, including you. So why don't you set the record straight since you are so versed in this field and tell us (me) once and for all just what is the difference if any. That way there will be no doubt.

Well I'm just starting out in this field and I am likely to believe anyone, including you. So why don't you set the record straight since you are so versed in this field and tell us (me) once and for all just what is the difference if any. That way there will be no doubt.

JMS - read from the beginning of the thread, the question is answered at the top.

There is no difference between Ultra and Deep Cameo - one term is used by PCGS, one term is used by NGC.

I did read from the top and saw what it said. I was just stating what someone else said. Appearantly the point was overlooked.

They are different terms for the same thing. There is no term that the grading companies use for single sided Cameo coins,although NGC will often give them a * (STAR) designation for eye appeal. Such as MS 64* or MS64PL *. The PL can be used if both sides meet at least that level,although I have a couple Morgan where one side is DMPL(Deep Mirror Proof Like) and the other is PL and both are graded normally by PCGS.

I did read from the top and saw what it said. I was just stating what someone else said. Appearantly the point was overlooked.

They are different terms for the same thing. There is no term that the grading companies use for single sided Cameo coins,although NGC will often give them a * (STAR) designation for eye appeal. Such as MS 64* or MS64PL *. The PL can be used if both sides meet at least that level,although I have a couple Morgan where one side is DMPL(Deep Mirror Proof Like) and the other is PL and both are graded normally by PCGS.

In the case of a one-sided PL, CAMEO, ULTRA, or etc., NGC awards the Star not if both sides are all there, but if the obverse is all there for the designation and the reverse is not. And, when a Star is given for this reason, eye appeal is not a large factor in the equation. There are soem ugly one sided Cameos and PLs with Star designations!