• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover "Upgrades"?

14 posts in this topic

When a coin is sent to NGC using the "Crossover Service" will NGC upgrade the coin if the coin warrants it or only cross it at the current grade?

• Administrator

Yes. If the coin warrants a higher grade it will receive the higher grade. However, you cannot specify that you want the coin to cross ONLY if the grade is higher.

The NGC policy on crossover service is:

Coins from other grading services are reviewed for NGC certification at the same grade. Coins will not be removed from their holder if they cannot be graded at the same or higher grade.

• Administrator

Hi EVP.

No. When submitting for crossover you can't specify a min grade that is higher than the current other-slabbed grade. You must be willing to accept at least the same grade. It is possible that the coin may grade higher however, NGC does not consider the higher grade until the coin is taken out of the holder after it has already been determined that it will cross at the same grade.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks.

Dena

Thanks, Dena. I would never do as I suggested. But, I can see how some others might. For example, PCGS moderns (clads?) slabs bring more money than NGC slabs in the sight-unseen market at the same grade. But, NGC slabs at a higher grade are still worth more than a PCGS slab at the original, lesser grade.

So, one might feel it is worthwhile to do this sort of thing with a PQ coin.

Just a thought. Like I said, I would never do this. But, I also don't care much about moderns...

EVP

What will happen is that during the crossover process itself, the coin will be evaluated for the grade it deserves. If the NGC grade happens to be higher than the grade listed on the non-NGC holder, it will receive that grade.

As Dena mentioned, only those coins that meet or exceed the grade of the proposed crossover will be crossed into an NGC holder, but this all happens during the regular crossover process itself.

Rick

What if, for example, it's a PCI coin and I want it crossed at ANY grade?

I know PCGS offers "Cross-at-any-grade" and am hoping NGC does too at the request of the submitter?

You can in fact request the coin to cross at any grade. In so doing, keep in mind that a designation could be lost. As well, NGC will not cross the coin if the piece is a no-grade.

Be sure to note your request to cross at any grade on the submission form as well as on a sticker on the proposed crossover coin itself.

Rick

You can in fact request the coin to cross at any grade. In so doing, keep in mind that a designation could be lost. As well, NGC will not cross the coin if the piece is a no-grade.

If you have a coin graded 65 can you put a cross at 63 or higher, i.e. request crossover at a lower minimum grade?

Yes, you can request a grade of "63 or higher" for a coin that is housed in an MS-65 holder. Please be sure to put that information not only on the submission form but on the holdered coin as well.

Rick

This may sound lame, please bare with me: What if I have a coin in a PCI holder that is PO01. I want it crossed into NGC at PO01 and not higher?

May I request that Service? In otherwords: a minimum/MAXIMUM grade.

Braddick,

NGC does not generally allow for grade specific requests, however, for a collection of Poor-1 coins, we might have to make the exception. What I would suggest in a case like this is to be very specific not only on your submission form, but also on a tag on the holder itself. Remember, since the graders do not see your submission form, we need this information in the grading process so that we can properly service your request.

Rick

Thanks. That, by the way, is NOT a service PCGS would entertain.

And, just to spite me they UPgraded over 20 early commemoratives I had in PCI holders of VG08 or less!

(Ok, it probably wasn't personal, but I did hear the graders didn't enjoy viewing that batch.)