• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downgrading to upgrade...

20 posts in this topic

Over the last few months, I've been working on obtaining nickels for my "Classic Jeffs" set that have a certain look and personal appeal to them. I've also been involved with some writing that has made me pay attention to the price structure of the Jefferson nickel series, particularly "full steps" Jeffs. The combination of thought and process have caused me to re-work my registry set a bit, which has led to it losing points, rather steadily. That's fine with me, particularly since I'm not in competition for the top slot, as I could never compete financially, nor do I have the interest.

Today, I replaced about eight coins in my set, every one of which lost me points. smirk.gif I slid a notch or two, but felt fine about the outcome. The set is just as interesting to me as always, if not more so than when I was a rabid step collector. The coins that I inserted in my set are more appealing to me than the ones that they replaced, and I just thought I'd say, I think that's what the "Classic Jeffs" is all about. Indeed, that's what collecting is all about.

What have others done? What does it mean to be at the top of the registries? And have you ever taken the time to think of all the truly great collections (large and small) out there that never see the likes of a registry? Just some thoughts.

Hoot

p.s. The above reasons are why I still can't seem to complete the set! sumo.gif

That is an interesting perspective on how you have reworked your registry set to your own personal preferences.

I recently have been on the side lines working on a similar strategy where points are of no importance. smile.gif

Some of my collecting interestes are Prooflike silver Washington Quarters and beautifully toned ones, as well. You can get some awesome coins in MS66 that will get you absolutely no extra points, but will be many times more valuable and much nicer than most 67s out there! In other words, you can put together wonderful collections that are virtually worthless in the registry. I will probably start some signature sets, for that reason.

Good for you Hoot! It is nice to see a collector out there as opposed to someone who thinks only of the plastic grade or how much money they hope to make on a coin. This is a great hobby, and it is nice to see that there are people out there who remember that it is a hobby, and that personal satisfaction with one's collection is what coin collecting is really all about.

Well Hoot, it depends on how you define 'great'. Eliasberg had a 'great' collection, perhaps it's own uniqueness in terms of 'quality', but Eliasberg certainly isn't your typical collector. Virgil Brand...most people, I think, don't even know his name, could be considered a 'great' collector, in terms of sheer volume, but there was also a lot of 'quality'. There are so many other 'great' collections, like Jules Reiver and Cohen, etc. etc... and I think while they mostly are atypical, they all took tenacity, desire and patience...I would think.

So I look at the NGC registry and I see a lot of great collections! I think what you are doing with 'Classic Jeffs' IS all about great collecting. And you are proving yourself as someone not following the footsteps (no pun intended) of those who use plastic as their means to 'eye appeal'. Which you know, as a collector, is totally wrong.

I admire your work and I admire you looking at Jeffs outside of the 'full step' mania. I'm not, and I'm sure that you are not saying anything against 'full steps', just that you are looking at the coin in a different light.

I collected Franklins once. I wouldn't even look at a non FBL Franklin. Isn't that dumb? In fact, sometimes I'm really really tempted to start collecting Franklins again, and the LAST thing I would ever look at will be whether they are FBL or not. And I say this because they can be one of the ugliest coins around, and they seem to get even uglier and uglier..except for some. There are some really nice Franklins out there irrespective of their bell line status, and I truly believe they could make up and outstanding collection.

Not infrequently I feel like selling all of my Capped Bust Halves and reinvesting the money into a strictly XF set. I think it would be extremely challenging, more artistic, more die-hard (again no pun intended) way of collecting Capped Bust Halves. So I understand, or at least I think I do.

There are more than one 'number one' sets out there, PCGS or NGC, that if you could see them, you wouldn't be impressed.

Thanks for this interesting post.

edited to add; it's like FH Standing liberty quarters. Just because it has a full head doesn't mean its fully struck.

I've done something very similar with my single registry set. Mine is a complete US type set, complete as one can get without including gold issues or commemoratives, yet I am missing a slew of later date, higher point coinage. I've also downgraded by selling all of my AU CBHs and now there is a lowly EF45 in that slot, again losing several hundred points. It sounds as though you have persued a collection that would reflect what you consider value and this is about the most true thing that someone can put out there.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I believe that the heart of true collecting is alive and well!

"I think while they mostly are atypical, they all took tenacity, desire and patience...I would think.

So I look at the NGC registry and I see a lot of great collections!"

Absolutely! I can name quite a few excellent sets out there in the registries that are obvious labors of love. Tom's US type set is one of those, as he mentioned, John Whilborg's buffalo nickel and early commem sets, Gregg Bingham's commem set, TDN's sets, etc., etc. And many others who do not register their coins, such as Greg Margulies - wonderful sets of coins. Truly, I can't begin to scratch the surface when naming great collectors, particularly since they come from all walks of life, all levels of wealth, and all approaches of interest in the hobby. It's a wonderful pursuit and I'm grateful to be part of it, at least for the time I'm given.

Hoot

Great post, Mark! This is the mother lode for aspiring numismatists!

when I was a rabid step collector.

sign-funnypost.gif

Hey Hoot----Could not agree with you more. Registry Sets are nice---if used for more than just proving that you can collect more than plastic numbers. Each of us has a goal in mind---or we should have a goal. Mine was to try and find all 'original skinned' or 'patinated' Walkers. Depending on your budget, that could be a nice set of "FINE" coins----or a midrange set in VF--XF--- or a highend set in MS condition. But, whatever one chooses, it can be a labor of love. Maybe one wishes to match coin shades---or toning---or strikes. It can be very time consuming----especially if one is collecting rarer coins. It can also get very expensive---if you let it.

Soon, NGC will be finishing my Walker set. When it is done I will still be tinkering with it. But I will not be among the top sets. I might get close to number 10----but that is not the concern. I will have an educational set that I hope to share with others. If it works out, I hope to redo my writings about the set----put on better pictures----so others can learn from my experiences. My goal was to have a set of which I was proud to own. That I have done. How high the set actually resides within the Registry was, at best, only a minor thought. There was never a chance that I could own the best set. I have not the financial ability to do that---even if I wanted to. But I do have a set that would challenge any collector to acquire.

Even more important to me was the knowledge that I personally have attained over these past almost 8 years with the Walkers. It has been amazing how much that I have learned about ALL coins---not just Walkers. It has filled a spot in my life that needed filling since I retired. It would be hard to explain to others how much time and experience goes towards the learning experience. For one, I hadn't realized how much that I truly didn't know---until I got into it. And, the deeper into it, the more that I realized that I still needed to know more. This hobby is a continual reeducation for the smart collector. Keep your mind open as you will continue to absorb things that you never---in past years---realized were even out there to be known. And, all this from a guy who has been collecting off and on for over 50 years. Thought I was smart when I was younger---but I had a lot to learn. Bob [supertooth]

Hoot: I have also done some major rethinking and downsizing during the past (18) months. I have downsized by approximately (350) coins (about 100,000 registry points). I also acquired a few coins in the process. This was a pretty gut-wrenching experience (for a 40+ year collector) that made me rethink my entire collecting philosophy. In fact, I believe that it qualifies as a major epiphany.

I am still rethinking and reshaping the collection that I have left, trying to develop realistic goals of what I want to collect in the future. Certainly, having highly ranked registry sets is not one of these goals. Been there, done that! However, acquiring quality examples of the coins that I do own is paramount, as you expressed in your post. Near term, I would like to finish my Civil War and Reconstruction Era Signature Set. When completed, this will be a set that I will be proud to own. The set will also present some difficulty in completing with quality, AU or better coins.

Good luck with your nickels and other collecting goals.

Charlie

Bob and Charlie - thanks for your comments! Collecting for the long-term seems to be a road less traveled. It gets interesting as involvement with (instead of simply in) the hobby shapes one's perspectives.

Hoot

I have always felt that if I collected a series with a strike designation that I would make a point of buying the 'just missed' coins .... coins that in many cases are indistinguishable from others with the designation but priced at a fraction of the cost.

As far as downgrading to upgrade, I've done that recently as well. I replaced a dark and fugly MS63 1796 quarter with this AU58 beauty:

3056o.jpg3056r.jpg

Because the low to mid range uncs are so expensive and tend to be fugly, unless a wondercoin is available, I'm more inclined to buy a 'just missed' early coin as well!

Stellar coin TDN! cloud9.gif One sweet beastie and a real dream coin - you deserve such a lovely piece!

I agree that the great challenge in strike is getting something that is "full" but not necessarily in every detail. Sounds like a contradiction until a person selects a series with strike designations.

Hoot

TDN: You certainly have a point with buying AU58 coins, instead of fugly, lower grade MS coins. I own and have owned some great looking AU coins. That is a lovely quarter which anyone would be proud to own.

I know what you're saying about AU64's, but I'm starting to find that there's a lot to be said about lower AU grades as well, and the XF's and ALSO VF's that can be most pleasing and fine collectibles. In fact, whatever hypnosomethingorother drew me to higher grade coins is like, leaving me...and I'm finding significance in 'lower grade' coins. Interesting. One of my overdates, I forget which one, is a VF30, or something like that. The coin...to me...is a natural beauty. There's also something to be said about wear, i.e., the coin was in circulation.

You know, I must say that my stamp collecting ability is far better than my coin collecting ability, which I hope will find constant improvement. The stamps I collect by the way are strictly used.

What have others done? ??????????????????

i am just interested in exceptional special eye appeal coins with monster qualities about them also with tremendous value and opportunity and with a reason to rise in demand

What does it mean to be at the top of the registries???????

bullsh*t also all ego

but most importantly ...... it stifles you to coins that are not as per the above

have you ever taken the time to think of all the truly great collections (large and small) out there that never see the likes of a registry??????????????????

oh my yes

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

What have others done? ??????????????????

i am just interested in exceptional special eye appeal coins with monster qualities about them also with tremendous value and opportunity and with a reason to rise in demand

What does it mean to be at the top of the registries???????

bullsh*t also all ego

but most importantly ...... it stifles you to coins that are not as per the above

have you ever taken the time to think of all the truly great collections (large and small) out there that never see the likes of a registry??????????????????

oh my yes

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

well...yes...

but not all coins in a collection can be monster coins. I mean, that's rediculous. I don't even want to look at a collection with all monster coins because even in the category of 'monster', it gets kind of boring. I mean, a monster is a monster because in part it stands out amongst other coins. So how many monsters can you have in a collection without quickly achieving the ho hum point. Do you know what I mean?

collecting coins is egocentric. determining what's special to you, what's a 'monster' or what has qualities another coin doesn't...it's all egocentric. so i can't condemn the registry. it's just another means of expression.

i mean, when Virgil Brand accumulated his zillions of coins, I mean zillions, it was egocentric. And there's nothing wrong with egocentricity. I think really good collectors manage their egocentricity with panache combined with deep study.

I don't even want to look at a collection with all monster coins because even in the category of 'monster', it gets kind of boring.

I do! I had the chance to see the Pogue early quarter collection at ANA. Utterly jaw dropping quality! What I wouldn't give to view their entire collection...

I don't even want to look at a collection with all monster coins because even in the category of 'monster', it gets kind of boring.

I do! I had the chance to see the Pogue early quarter collection at ANA. Utterly jaw dropping quality! What I wouldn't give to view their entire collection...

OK, I'll make you a deal. You give me your Trade Dollar collection (I'll take all those monsters off your hands), and I'll see what I can do about getting you to view that collection. devil.gif