Post your most recent acquisition: World
23 23

1,886 posts in this topic

295 posts

Ungraded 1946 East African 1 shilling, just love the coin style with the lion and all! I Think it's a cool coin in pretty darn good shape better grade or possibly AU with nice detail and definition! How about you? Get graded, or not worth it? Any thoughts? Capone1929

IMG_20180712_092501.jpg

IMG_20180712_092845.jpg

Edited by Capone1929
Type O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264 posts

@Capone1929 Has a nice XF look to it! Grading is up to you...some people say you should only send something in that has a certain value due to the grading itself+shipping already being 20-25 bucks. However some people will send something in thats of low monetary value because it has high sentimental value (from a grandfather,etc). I sent some thai coins that don't have that big of a big monetary value but I liked them, I wanted to test myself grading wise, and honestly there was such a low population, I wanted to increase it and preserve them for future generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341 posts

I've been known to send in pocket change.  As you say, sentimental sometimes.  Plus I tend to have slabbed coins and I like \consistency on some series that may have a few higher valued items 'worthy' of slabbing...so I'll send in the low value stuff too.  Plenty of '$5' values on my submissions.  I'm sure the graders wonder why, but oh well.  Then again, I've been known to crack out the higher value stuff at times too...some things need to be in albums!

Love the East Africa coin.  That one I personally would not send in.  Looks too nice free and clear like that, and it's a 'touchable' coin.  My aforementioned 'pocket change' is 'high-grade-if-theoretically-common' type of stuff.   

My latest--an elusive deep scale variant of the first 5 sen coin.  From the recent HA Hong Kong auction, and the toning was probably frowned upon over there.  A white one would have been much more costly.  Not exactly the best rendering of the coin as toning is hard for me to get right.  Especially with slab glare.

edited to add--is it just me, but why are my photos looking so blurry when I post them here?  They seem to be getting reduced from 1.5 MB range to a 135 kb range.  

 

combo.jpg

 

Okay, trying to drag the photo to the upload box instead of 'choose file' option.  Nope didn't help.  Uploaded the right size but posted at the reduced file size.  Sigh.

 

Edited by Star City Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
295 posts
6 minutes ago, Star City Homer said:

I've been known to send in pocket change.  As you say, sentimental sometimes.  Plus I tend to have slabbed coins and I like \consistency on some series that may have a few higher valued items 'worthy' of slabbing...so I'll send in the low value stuff too.  Plenty of '$5' values on my submissions.  I'm sure the graders wonder why, but oh well.  Then again, I've been known to crack out the higher value stuff at times too...some things need to be in albums!

Love the East Africa coin.  That one I personally would not send in.  Looks too nice free and clear like that, and it's a 'touchable' coin.  My aforementioned 'pocket change' is 'high-grade-if-theoretically-common' type of stuff.   

My latest--an elusive deep scale variant of the first 5 sen coin.  From the recent HA Hong Kong auction, and the toning was probably frowned upon over there.  A white one would have been much more costly.  Not exactly the best rendering of the coin as toning is hard for me to get right.  Especially with slab glare.

edited to add--is it just me, but why are my photos looking so blurry when I post them here?  They seem to be getting reduced from 1.5 MB range to a 135 kb range.  

 

combo.jpg

 

Okay, trying to drag the photo to the upload box instead of 'choose file' option.  Nope didn't help.  Uploaded the right size but posted at the reduced file size.  Sigh.

 

Thank you for the input and reply, I appreciate it, Thanks, Capone1929

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 posts

i dont know if i am posting in the correct chat room for this but i just aquired a 2014 1 oz. silver brittainia and let me know if you agree that something is strange about the rim especially where it says 2 pounds. Your opinions are welcome as i dont have enough knowledge yet to make a good enough informed decision on this. But i did read something about a error on some of the 2014 Brittainias. It wont let me send all of the pictures i have because of file size until the first person posts on this then i will send more. Thank you for your opinion

20180801_154532.jpg

20180801_132228.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
295 posts
30 minutes ago, Screeb741 said:

i dont know if i am posting in the correct chat room for this but i just aquired a 2014 1 oz. silver brittainia and let me know if you agree that something is strange about the rim especially where it says 2 pounds. Your opinions are welcome as i dont have enough knowledge yet to make a good enough informed decision on this. But i did read something about a error on some of the 2014 Brittainias. It wont let me send all of the pictures i have because of file size until the first person posts on this then i will send more. Thank you for your opinion

20180801_154532.jpg

20180801_132228.jpg

You are in the right place and asked the right question! This is an area where my knowledge is very limited, so Please don't take this for anything more than a shot in the dark opinion! Please wait for other more experienced in this area to respond, reply, and or give their data and input! I believe this is misaligned from a worn die causing minor off-center collar, the lack of detail in the obverse of the coin also from angle of photos alone, seem to indicate a normal worn die causing normal machine doubling, collar issues, as well as causing the coin to appear defective! However if this is in fact the case and common in silver planchet struck coins, it does not demand a premium, but is a beautiful silver decent grade with luster, which retaines its value in many ways! Capone1929 thanks for sharing your coin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
295 posts

Well with the New Photos and much better photos! Worn die definitely not the case! Well struck AU or uncirculated beauty! Very nice coin! Still off-center, broad struck, misaligned die, or something of that nature, common in soft planchets such as silver! Or real common amongst commemoratives, rounds, specials, etc, struck which causes partial collars, however I do not know if it is a major, Minor, Error, or Mint Error at all, does appear to be a beautiful off center coin of some sort! Nice! Capone1929

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
295 posts
1 minute ago, Capone1929 said:

Well with the New Photos and much better photos! Worn die definitely not the case! Well struck AU or uncirculated beauty! Very nice coin! Still off-center, broad struck, misaligned die, or something of that nature, common in soft planchets such as silver! Or real common amongst commemoratives, rounds, specials, etc, struck which causes partial collars, however I do not know if it is a major, Minor, Error, or Mint Error at all, does appear to be a beautiful off center coin of some sort! Nice! Capone1929

Looks Proof Like! That indicates true Mint error! Mirror like Beauty! Appears to be major or minor Mint error, based on angle of new photos! Capone1929

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 posts

well i tried to take a wide range of photos from different light sources i def. dont have professional photography equipment. But the cell phone cameras these days work great as long as u got a steady hand and some sunlight. Anyways there was a article about error 2014 Brittainias because they had two different coins one is the year of the horse coin and the typical brittainia design but the obverses were a little bit different and the royal mint said they had mixed up the obverse dies im sure because they were so similar and i really wanna find out if this is one of the mixed up dies i think it said they minted 38000 regular brits and like 300000 of the year of the horse ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341 posts

A few newer ones.  I was super lucky to have a guy with a fabulous collection decide to downsize a bit in my direction.  A bit of a toner theme, but oh well.  And, they really do look better in hand.  I'll include the 'long view' of the one slab just to show how much better it can look.   Getting the lighting right on these has been a challenge!

 

 

combo 2a f1f1f1.jpg

combo f1f1f1.jpg

combo f1f1f1.jpg

slab shot.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,127 posts
3 hours ago, genlou said:

Not the cleanest or rarest just liked the look

7CD98BB8-37B7-4858-A2F4-BE7795E52602.jpeg

F0CC5F13-5320-4868-835F-FE4A47C36A45.jpeg

I have to say, I like the look, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264 posts

nice newps, cant wait to show everyone all the crown sized world coins I've gotten lately!

Edited by Mk123
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
295 posts
1 minute ago, Capone1929 said:

1934 Silver Vatican L.10 (Rare Low Mintage)

IMG_20180824_043116.jpg

IMG_20180824_043138.jpg

Just a couple of my favorite old world Silver Coins In my collection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 posts

My first post in this theme but must say... Awesome coins everyone.

This is new, but I really like the detailed reverse.

John.

CK1901_Poseidon-Ancient_Gods_2019_r__51232.1535644153.png

CK1901_Poseidon-Ancient_Gods_2019_o__50702.1535644152.png

Edited by Old-school
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post
On 10/9/2006 at 2:48 PM, IlikeZARcoins said:

Reserved

I picked this up at an estate sale over the weekend. I know it’s Greek, but I can’t find another one similar in my searches. It’s roughly a quarter ounce in weight

E51ACF79-C72A-4060-B08F-2E6A2D69B783.jpeg

3D9F55D5-0E43-4CD5-9568-93B048431BA9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,127 posts

Wrong thread, beautiful buff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
23 23