• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

On September 21, 2020 at 9:17 AM, jtryka said:

I recently bought this one from the Royal Canadian Mint, it was interesting for a couple of reasons.  First, I have an affinity for coins featuring trains and ships, and this one features two different views of the ship, coming and going so to speak, which I thought was interesting and well executed.  The second reason, is that although this ship is now in Canada, it used to be a museum in Saugatuck, Michigan, where I toured the ship before it was moved back in 2012, so I've actually been onboard this exact ship.

2020 Keewatin Obverse.jpg

2020 Keewatin Reverse.jpg

Personal connections to certain coins are always interesting. Well done.

On September 15, 2019 at 10:24 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Happy to acquire my first shield back sovereign recently.  Not in the nicest condition, but :takeit:.

1884_sovereign_small.thumb.jpg.dfdfcd153dc53d101e88114cf577609a.jpg

Nice going - hope it's the first of many. Great series to collect.

If there is anyone out there who can fathom a guess as to what this is, where it came from, and its approximate date of minting, I would greatly appreciate it.

The edge is well-rounded. The dimensions are roughly 2" or 5 cms. in diameter, and has a hefty weight. I acquired it from an old man who spoke fractured English at an outdoor flea market in New Yok City in the 1980's.

20201102_215342.jpg

There's a local dealer that comes to the local show and he always has a box of random foreign silver coins that he sells for melt and sometimes I find something interesting like this 1898 Mexico 5-centavo.  It was previously mounted for jewelry or something (I could imagine it might have been part of a bracelet) but still not bad for a dollar.

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

I our beloved section "Coins you have never seen before, coins you are not likely to see again" I present you this Mexico City half real. Half reales are common coins, but the thin that makes it special is that PCGS has not graded any other higher for the entire series. Yes, not just is PCGS top pop for the year/mint/assayer but for the half real series. Note however that NGC has graded one a point higher (bummer). Anyway, here I leave you with this little jewel:

36456053_Large.jpg

2 large cent(s)..1845,  1852.....the '45 has a hole drilled thru it...maybe used as a pendant., with 6 Indian heads.....2 1899's and 4 1900's era....all for 20 bucks......too bad about the drilled out coin....prolly worth nothing now, instead of 20 bucks...........

5 hours ago, rocket23 said:

2 large cent(s)..1845,  1852.....the '45 has a hole drilled thru it...maybe used as a pendant., with 6 Indian heads.....2 1899's and 4 1900's era....all for 20 bucks......too bad about the drilled out coin....prolly worth nothing now, instead of 20 bucks...........

Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Thats awesome my friend. 

38 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Thats awesome my friend. 

would of been a lot better had some nimrod not drill a 1/8th hole right thru the oldest (and best condition ) coin in the lot.

4 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

would of been a lot better had some nimrod not drill a 1/8th hole right thru the oldest (and best condition ) coin in the lot.

Kinda heartbreaking. Ive seen several nice ones on Ebay with big holes drilled in them. If they only knew what they were doing back then. 

Edited by Hoghead515

20 bucks netted me a 1954 au dime ...an 1887 seated liberty ef20, and a 1957 proof 65 penny fresh as the day it was minted..........plus dozens of proof and unc pennies all worth under 5 bucks each......Nice score at the local pawn shop....Funny thing is I was hovering over the coin display and the counter help said ''I was out of luck he had just sold all his silver coins''.....''Yeah, ok''.....''lessee what you have'' I said.