• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

1915-D German empire 1 mark KM#14 

Pretty common German coin to find only reason I bought this one is I collect old school NGC slabs if they are in perfect condition . I rarely find the old “Green border no bar code label” NGC fatty holders anymore this one is very gem not even a scratch on it looks as new as the day they slabbed it 

078EEDA5-4ADD-4EB1-86D3-E07621187F30.jpeg

59D28204-5A33-495A-B5C0-DD7480140260.jpeg

E20E475D-B925-4FF6-A98F-19F1930DD61A.jpeg

4C1F168B-01AB-4B56-A52D-EF3F5CBC0A8B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jason Abshier said:

1915-D German empire 1 mark KM#14 

Pretty common German coin to find only reason I bought this one is I collect old school NGC slabs if they are in perfect condition . I rarely find the old “Green border no bar code label” NGC fatty holders anymore this one is very gem not even a scratch on it looks as new as the day they slabbed it 

078EEDA5-4ADD-4EB1-86D3-E07621187F30.jpeg

59D28204-5A33-495A-B5C0-DD7480140260.jpeg

E20E475D-B925-4FF6-A98F-19F1930DD61A.jpeg

4C1F168B-01AB-4B56-A52D-EF3F5CBC0A8B.jpeg

Common?  Are you sure about that? The design is virtually counterfeit-proof.  And from the Denver mint no less!  :)

14 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Common?  Are you sure about that? The design is virtually counterfeit-proof.  And from the Denver mint no less!  :)

Well , “common” coin to find when searching around for one for your collection I must say the MS coins in certain years are harder to find . I’m thinking about focusing on completing a full set of German silver 1 marks most of the ones I’ve seen for sale are heavily circulated . I’m looking for Gem to UNC send them in grading myself . I know they are out there just gotta hunt them all down might even have get them directly over seas 

Gotta Love Denver mint ! They made the best beautiful German coins 😉 

@EdG_Ohio I remember while back you posted up a Germania coin to go along with your beer steins I said how I wanted to jump on them and start collecting them , I took break from my regular coin collecting and started hunting down all Germania Allegories and Germania series , I even got my hands on the proofs which are hard to find with only 1000 minted thought I’d share with you . 

F07F4360-3977-4CB7-9270-3DC5B47F017A.jpeg

DD28E345-332E-4C1F-A978-A4D0198FF5EC.jpeg

Look at the workmanship of those Master Engravers!  (The one thing that has always puzzled me about the ASE is while the weight of the coin is depicted, the fineness of the silver is not.  Why?)

Edited by Quintus Arrius

45 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Look at the workmanship of those Master Engravers!  (The one thing that has always puzzled me about the ASE is while the weight of the coin is depicted, the fineness of the silver is not.  Why?)

I was once was told because I asked the same question once long while back to a silver dealer told me (.999 is same as 99.9% purity ran once through refinery) as (.9999 is equal to 99.99% purity it passed through refinery twice to get that purity) 

agree some of the best gold coins , old silver and copper coins as well as medals came from European countries even dating back 1600-1700’s old French and German coinage is far by the most beautiful painstakingly designed coins they took great pride in their engraving work and craftsmanship . 

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The one thing that has always puzzled me about the ASE is while the weight of the coin is depicted, the fineness of the silver is not.  Why?

Yeah I don’t know why , but I know they say ASE is 99.9% pure silver it may not be as pure as .9999 silver not that it probably doesn’t matter too much 

17 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Q:  What ever do you intend to do with that?    :bigsmile:

I’ll probably get the proof graded , the other issues BU type of coins I might not get them graded … I been sitting on the idea haven’t made my mind up they all may look better in a slab . I don’t have any plans for selling them anyways as of now 

2 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

I’ll probably get the proof graded

Good luck on that Proof.  Nice looking coin.  I have, once in a while, sent in a coin to be slabed because I wanted to protect it or because it was 'special' to me.  It's what's important to you that counts.

4 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Good luck on that Proof.  Nice looking coin.  I have, once in a while, sent in a coin to be slabed because I wanted to protect it or because it was 'special' to me.  It's what's important to you that counts.

I probably won’t send them in , it’s modern to me they are protected in airtite capsules no big deal … I’ve seen some that were already graded with a high wacky price tag . Doesn’t mean anyone is buying them . I sure don’t have plans on selling mine so grading isn’t really a priority right now . However I been thinking of investing or making my own display tray for these Germania mint rounds I have a small wood shop in my garage maybe a nice piece of black walnut lay the coins in it add a glass over the top I’m messing around with ideas 

1 hour ago, Jason Abshier said:

I’ve seen some that were already graded with a high wacky price tag

All the Markets, from coins to used cars, are heating up.  I believe it's inflation but I'm no expert on Economics.  I'm just hoping things calm down so I can get to buying again.

6 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I'm just hoping things calm down so I can get to buying again.

I hear ya , yeah I been spending a little more than I should have for certain coins but so far I mostly been focused on world coins for last 5-6 years , I haven’t collected a US coin for a long while other than I started a set for US silver $1 commemorative coins but lately I haven’t been building that set up it gonna take 174-176 coins ? From 1983-present gonna take me a long while to complete that series . now I been hunting down classic world coins in old NGC fatty holders if the slab is completely intact and no missing hologram on back of slab I may consider buying it but I ain’t paying a wacky high price for old slab something about coins in old old slabs I rather have them than a newer slabbed coin that’s just me 

6 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

something about coins in old old slabs I rather have them than a newer slabbed coin that’s just me 

Three months ago I bought a 1921 Morgan Dollar - PCGS MS 64 - 3rd generation holder for $89.00.  I felt lucky to have got it at that price.  But, that's the last I've seen.  Everything now is going up and up.  (shrug)

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

@Jason Abshier  [Humor]

🐓:  Strong, clean strike; intact denticular structure; frosty luster; tasteful toning. A real gem loaded with history. Giant : meteor shower on rev.

Newbie:  Looks as fresh as the day it was produced at the Denver mint.

@RWB  What facts can you cite in support of your allegation that this coin was minted at Denver?

Newbie: Whaddya mean?  WWI raging, influenza pandemic, trench warfare, millions dead, chaos & disorder... You didn't see that video, "Armed Mistress"? It's all over the internet.

🐓: THAT'S AR-MIS-TICE.

@VKurtB  (unintelligible mutterings)  :facepalm:

On 7/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Newbie:  Looks as fresh as the day it was produced at the Denver mint.

@RWB  What facts can you cite in support of your allegation that this coin was minted at Denver?

"D" represents the Munich Mint.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Look at the workmanship of those Master Engravers! 

The imitation 5 Mark pieces, as shown in the photos, are merely mediocre sculpting workmanship. Modeling of the figures is awkward, especially hands and fingers. The pieces also, if intended to be German should read "silber" not "silver" and have weights in grams.

@RWB  Two things.  1.  I am delighted to find my brand of humor did not offend your sensibilities, and  2. The entirety of what you'd written was new and news to me. I was inattentive. Thank you for adding to my meager store of knowledge.  🐓

Looking in my graded gold coin stash . Forgot I had this little guy took it in on trade while back from another collector .“Restrike” 1945 Mexico 2 Pesos not a real good strike on the reverse of the coin I think it was over graded by a point 

8445CCDA-B664-4858-B8F8-4A7A6112A42C.jpeg

76BBA4D1-2589-4077-955E-92D3294D7C75.jpeg