• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

Is the glass recessed in the metal or on the outer surface ?  I've got a granddaughter that would goes bonkers because of the turtle on it hahaha.

I got it as slabbed so I dont know, but I think it is glued on the surface. There are other sea animals as well in this series.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Rollo Tomassi said:

Brunswick-Luneberg 2/3 Thaler 1679

pair.jpg

Johann Friedrich looks like he could have come straight out of a Disney movie.

Cool coin, though.! :applause:

2 hours ago, Buffalo Head said:

DSC_0875 (2).JPG

DSC_0867 (2).JPG

Very lovely. Generally unknown fact: Hugo Eckener, the commander of the LZ-127 [GZ] refused to have swastikas painted onto the rear fins of his airship.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, Star City Homer said:

I went a little nuts in a Japanese auction.  Let's hear it for the global economy and the ability to move money across denominations and borders.  I have to admit I was a bit puzzled by the groupings.  These were three lots.  I'm not sure how this will format after loading up the photos so I'll describe and you all can figure out which photo goes with the commentary :D.  

The first lot contained four coins.  The three 'Mount Fuji' common style 1 sen showing three different shades of clay (translates as porcelain, but is a clay mixture).  Each of the three sites chosen to produce the clay coins used slightly different clay mixtures.  This was just neat showing the same design, three colors.  

Oddly enough the fourth coin in the lot was the white 5 sen.  Not sure why it was grouped that way, not even one of the other 1 sen coins!  The white 1 sen was in a lot by itself.  Now, all I need is the white 10 sen to complete that set.

The last lot had the red 1 and 5 sen with the vertically oriented characters.  Again, 10 sen missing, but it was a great to get some new varieties to my rather oddball (and otherwise tiny) porcelain Japanese coins.  

clay colors.jpg

Blank 2000 x 2000.jpg

combo.jpg

These types of coins were common daily use types ? I'd be afraid to break them. What size are these considered...mm?

6 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

These types of coins were common daily use types ? I'd be afraid to break them. What size are these considered...mm?

Well, they were supposed to be for full circulation, but didn't make it.  Depending on source the common may or may not have circulated for 1 to a few days.  Millions were minted but release was held until there was enough for sufficient circulation.  This plan was interrupted by the war ending.

The coins are more durable than they might look, there was apparently a lot of effort into ensuring that.  I've seen all of one broken one (not mine, but on another message board).  One reference describes drop tests onto various materials, both individually and in groupings.  The results were 'satisfactory'. 

And, it's not like this idea was original.  Germany and their porcelain notgeld apparently were an inspiration to attempt coins rather than defaulting to small denominations of paper money. 

I put a longer post regarding the porcelain coins on a couple other message boards if you get curious as to more details.  My alter ego name is different but the avatar should be recognizable.  I lost my old handle when the message boards merged with the registry stuff so over here it's Homer.  Look for Stork on the other chat sites.

In any case, my examples are not close to hand, but my nearby reference lists them as 1 sen 15mm, 5 sen 18 mm, and 10 sen 21 mm after baking.  Most of my shots are individual ones pasted together, but perhaps in the next few days I can take one showing a full set in one photo to make the scale perfect.  My photos are trying for clarity vs. scale.  

On 5/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, Rollo Tomassi said:

and THIS is how an EMPRESS  should dress !

obverse.jpg.cf60985ef704a24c077a8259218e3be7.jpg

Heh !   

xD

Imagine if in  High Relief LOL ...but then the double chin would be more prominent. (no offense your highness :wink:)

What is year of that piece ?

4 hours ago, zreed said:

2020 Canada Maple Leaves in Motion BEF84EB1-7027-4320-A21C-C10C2F0065C9.thumb.jpeg.c62195819b3fde98e3949822937f9878.jpeg

No. 8 off the assembly line.  It doesn't get better than that!  Is the fine, mesh-like field an anti-counterfeiting measure?

7 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No. 8 off the assembly line.  It doesn't get better than that!  Is the fine, mesh-like field an anti-counterfeiting measure?

Disappointing NGC wouldn’t put the COA on the label but oh well. Not sure about the field but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:01 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

While on a German theme.....I picked up a Germania Mint coin to go with my steins I collect also. These were brought up on another post elsewhere and I decided I needed one.

Germania.2020.1oz[1].jpg

Germania series is an interesting coin they are on my list of coins thats, I myself want they have some really cool designs 

8 hours ago, brg5658 said:

The last of my 2020 pieces.  I'm still at ZERO new numismatic items for 2021 so far.

1796_EM_Russia_Kopek_PCGS_AU58_composite

1964_Winterthur_PCGS_MS69_composite.jpg

1972_fantasy_crown_pcgs_PR64DCAM_composi

1969_CircusKnie_Medal_PCGS_SP68_composit

What is that Edward VIII piece?