• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

Picked up these two at the end of 2020. 

1597-Poland_3Gr_PCGS_MS63_composite.jpg

1810_MoHJ_8R_PCGS_AU55_composite.jpg

Love those coins. The engravers of both of them done a wonderful job on the details of them. I can only imagine how long it took them to carve those amazing works of art into the dies. Congratulations. Those are awsome finds. 

If you were one of the 33 bidders on eBay I outbid on this [then raw] Venezuelan 1904 20-franc gold Bolivar two years ago, feel free to PM me.20210225_194611.jpg.6305ae26a069562efab7149046805237.jpg20210225_193400.thumb.jpg.502e5ef601da8cf2d50deaa597bc051c.jpg It was PCGS-graded AU-58.

nope, wasn't me I did grab a 3 piece morgan set 1921 p d s .....the case is worth the added $ I spent....just over a buck fiddy. Don't tell the wife......I told her I wasn't buying anything for lent........I need to give up something else now.

Kinda of a blend of US/World, Minted in U.S. for the Philippines. Was after a 1959 Hawaiian token and happened upon this. Nice condition at a decent price...and I like the history behind it.
I'll be removing it from the Whitman looking holder shortly to have a better look-see.

1947.Gen.Mac.PhilippineSet.Obv[1].jpg

1947.Gen.Mac.PhilippineSet.Rev[1].jpg

On 10/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, Zebo said:

Personal connections to certain coins are always interesting. Well done.

I agree; few can make such a claim. 

Very cool, I bought a set a while back that came in the original envelope, which I think I still have around here somewhere!

1 hour ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

Low mintage (165,000) and gem grade. A killer combination! It is not that much of a rarity like my previous coin, but is a magnificent specimen. 

200640402.jpg

Tentatively.  I have a French 20-franc gold rooster, one of 4.4 million minted.  But where are they?  When I lst checked, only 1 was graded a modest MS-64 by NGC (and in the Twilight Zone of the numismatic universe, two were similarly graded by PCGS.) None were graded higher by euther.

So where does this leave us? Unassailable logic indicates our finds are not going to increase in value as more and more mint state examples come to market.

Killer combination indubitably, but subject to change in an eye blink.

Just now, Quintus Arrius said:

Tentatively.  I have a 1903 French 20-franc gold rooster, one of 4.4 million minted.  But where are they?  When I lst checked, only 1 was graded a modest MS-64 by NGC (and in the Twilight Zone of the numismatic universe, two were similarly graded by PCGS.) None were graded higher by either.

So where does this leave us? Unassailable logic indicates our finds are not going to increase in value as more and more mint state examples come to market.

Killer combination indubitably, but subject to change in an eye blink.

56 minutes ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

@Quintus Arrius you have a point, but the odds of finding a much better Second Republic 50 centavos are very slim. And even if you do, they are so rare that is hard to believe the few gem examples that exist will drop in value. Cheers!

You are right.  I don't know what I am so worried about. I do not know whether TPGS is catching on in Mexico, but they are definitely catching on in Europe. Only time will tell.  Your coins, incidentally, are true masterpieces of the engravers' art!

So, is the snake depicted in the 1823 coin a water snake or rattlesnake ? The lineage seems to bounce around a bit and some texts don't really specify which. A 1916 statement says it was reversed back as a rattler from President Porfirio Díaz previous request. I haven't dug too much though. It appears in early art a bird was being used, in art work only though.
...Very nice coin and history !

Yes @EdG_Ohio in the early manuscripts like the Tovar Ramirez codex,  there is an eagle devouring a bird! The current official arms include a rattlesnake, but that is a mid XX century design. XIX century coins do not show a rattlesnake. In fact I do not think that is until the stilised eagle from the 1970s that is finally seen a rattlesnake as a matter of common use.

5 hours ago, ilLOminatus said:

One of the fancier coin that I got recently, using glass element on the coin.

20210202_003629_2.jpg

Is the glass recessed in the metal or on the outer surface ?  I've got a granddaughter that would goes bonkers because of the turtle on it hahaha.