• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, mdwoods said:

I love those large British old copper coins. 

As do I.  It's hard not to love a big, old copper coin.  I recently picked up a couple of Roman Sestertii for my Faustina the Younger collection.  They're already two of my favorite coins I've ever purchased.  I'd say for more recent copper, the British coppers are the best of the bunch.

4 hours ago, mdwoods said:

I have 13 Different ones so far with a couple more on the and a couple more to bid on soon. There are more coins in this set  than I originally figured

eafrica.jpg

The cent set is coming along!  But, yeah.....it's going to be a big set.  I know how this British Empire stuff can go....years ago, I considered doing an entire Victoria Type Set of all the copper and silver coins for the whole Empire and I even started it.....then I quickly learned that it would be an impossible undertaking that I'd probably die before I finished (and I was only in my early 30's at the time!  I'm at the very end of my 30's now....39 on August 17).  So, I quit.  But I think your collection is doable and you definitely have a great eye for your coins....that's a nice pickup!

Edited by Mohawk

Two new coins I'm happy with, both in NGC slabs with relatively modest grades.  They were lumped together as a discount (?) lot at a Heritage weekly.  But both are very interesting variants for their respective year.  One was even labeled with the variety.  Not totally overlooked as I paid about double the estimate, but certainly not what I expected them to go for.

The first is an MS-62, 1873 50 sen with the 'long year' variety.  My only other one (and one I was thrilled to have the opportunity to get at the time) is a details AU with environmental damage.  Never thought I'd see a straight graded one (I have an MS-65 slab but that coin is actually the short year...and next time I'm at a show it's coming with me to get a corrected label).  Many multiple value of the regular 'short year', even at circulated grades which is less common with the Japanese catalog.

The second coin is an 1897 50 sen.  Like several years there is a difference between the 'stem cut facing up' vs. 'down' version.  For this year the 'stem cut facing up' is a scarcity.  I've seen the variety for at least one year labeled, so I suspect the variety option was not chosen when it was submitted.  

Neither coin is superb, but as varieties they got me excited.  My pictures do suck as the overhead lighting has been changed in the basement...it's messing with my lamp set up and neither is quite as ugly as its photo.

combo arrow.jpg

combo black arrow.jpg

On 7/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, Star City Homer said:

Two new coins I'm happy with, both in NGC slabs with relatively modest grades.  They were lumped together as a discount (?) lot at a Heritage weekly.  But both are very interesting variants for their respective year.  One was even labeled with the variety.  Not totally overlooked as I paid about double the estimate, but certainly not what I expected them to go for.

The first is an MS-62, 1873 50 sen with the 'long year' variety.  My only other one (and one I was thrilled to have the opportunity to get at the time) is a details AU with environmental damage.  Never thought I'd see a straight graded one (I have an MS-65 slab but that coin is actually the short year...and next time I'm at a show it's coming with me to get a corrected label).  Many multiple value of the regular 'short year', even at circulated grades which is less common with the Japanese catalog.

The second coin is an 1897 50 sen.  Like several years there is a difference between the 'stem cut facing up' vs. 'down' version.  For this year the 'stem cut facing up' is a scarcity.  I've seen the variety for at least one year labeled, so I suspect the variety option was not chosen when it was submitted.  

Neither coin is superb, but as varieties they got me excited.  My pictures do suck as the overhead lighting has been changed in the basement...it's messing with my lamp set up and neither is quite as ugly as its photo.

combo arrow.jpg

combo black arrow.jpg

Nice pickup, you really love Japanese coins don't you :D. Enjoy your latest acquisitions, cheers

18 hours ago, ilLOminatus said:

Nice pickup, you really love Japanese coins don't you :D. Enjoy your latest acquisitions, cheers

Yes-my true core collection :).   Add in Albania and medals and I am (quite literally) all over the map.  Medals are nice as they can be anything.  My last haul (eBay and Stephen Album auction sourced).  It always amuses me to put a few together and see if I had a theme going.  Other than females, these don't really have much other than tracking from Art Nouveau to Art Deco.  

combo.jpg

combo.jpg

combo.jpg

On 7/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, Star City Homer said:

Yes-my true core collection :).   Add in Albania and medals and I am (quite literally) all over the map.  Medals are nice as they can be anything.  My last haul (eBay and Stephen Album auction sourced).  It always amuses me to put a few together and see if I had a theme going.  Other than females, these don't really have much other than tracking from Art Nouveau to Art Deco.  

combo.jpg

combo.jpg

combo.jpg

They are really nice medals, have you seen the Swiss made ones, those are crazy for the 1800s

Like the Shooting Talers?  They are gorgeous!  I only have one, and it's something I look at and wonder if I should keep it.  No reason to sell it, but it's the only shooting taler I've got.  I keep thinking I need to downsize and 'focus' :roflmao:

combo f1f1f1.jpg

On 8/3/2019 at 2:18 PM, mdwoods said:

I have 3 of those dollars Marty. One of my favorite Canadian coins. Yours is a real beauty. Very flashy much nicer than most.

Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by bigmarty 58