• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

How is it I'm the last one posting on this thread...

Here is another huge want coin now purchased.  I got lucky on this one a bit as it was in the Stack's HK auction.  An uncommon variety in a better than normal condition.  Now I can finish a graphic showing the differences in the type I, II, and III 1870 yen coin without using 'artist renditions'.  

combo.jpg

1870 yen details.jpg

Pretty cool stuff! I bet it feels good to have the trio. The world coin posts, in general, are pretty slow so I can not say it is surprising that you were the last post twice in a row. I have a bunch of new additions but I have not had the time to take decent pictures. Here are some of the recent additions that I did manage to photograph. 

2038189294_ColumbiaTemplate.thumb.jpg.a45a96799a45caab547bd79be6b46022.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, Star City Homer said:

Here is another huge want coin now purchased.  I got lucky on this one a bit as it was in the Stack's HK auction.  An uncommon variety in a better than normal condition.  Now I can finish a graphic showing the differences in the type I, II, and III 1870 yen coin without using 'artist renditions'.  

combo.jpg

1870 yen details.jpg

I came back in the ‘90s with 12 of these & sent them to be verified & they were all considered fake. I believe I have like 6 left, I’ve never cleaned them, but I do notice what you’re talking about because I see differences in the variety which makes me suspicious as there validity. If I get them from storage & take pics & send, might you be able to answer this? Ty. 

On 4/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, Travis Hale said:

I came back in the ‘90s with 12 of these & sent them to be verified & they were all considered fake. I believe I have like 6 left, I’ve never cleaned them, but I do notice what you’re talking about because I see differences in the variety which makes me suspicious as there validity. If I get them from storage & take pics & send, might you be able to answer this? Ty. 

I'm no expert on the fakes.  The first thing is to check weight/diameters (which can vary by year).  If you sent them to any of the big services I'd expect if they called it a fake, it's a fake.  Go ahead and post (or send me a message), if I can help I will.  

On 4/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Star City Homer said:

combo.jpg

1870 yen details.jpg

Ah you won this one, congrats. I was eyeing some Japanese Yens a few auctions back from HA as well

I love one!  One of my favorites, and why sometimes I wish I was just a big crown collector.  

Happy I picked up another Japanese coin for my varieties, the 1871 M.4 gold 1 yen.  There are two varieties, the 'high dot' and 'low dot' which is pretty self explanatory.   

Found this one in the Heritage auction.  The cataloguer had stuck it in the later/internet only section, with an estimate consistent with the more common high dot (and put a common condition high dot in the fancier live auction).  I was hoping it would escape notice, but no such luck. 

There are many graded and in better condition, but I never see them for sale, and this MS-62 is good enough.  Plus a nice gemmy one would cost a ton more.  As it's merely a variety for me, I'll take this one.  It's a bit flashier than my photos suggest.  My current lighting set up is not the best at luster and flash.  

combo eeeeee.jpg

high vs low f1f1f1.jpg

edited to add:  I still don't know what is going on with my photos, the resolution really seems to get dinged uploading here.  Oh well, you get the idea on the coin anyway.  If nothing else my file sizes are getting reduced tremendously.  1.8 MB to 357 KB.  So very odd.

Edited by Star City Homer