• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

New direction, BRG? I don't see a horse on that one? (Love the toning, by the way).

Nope, not a new direction. This one goes in my "catch all" world set of coin designs I like -- been adding to that set for quite a few years. :)

What a treasure trove of beautiful coins....many with remarkable toning. (thumbs u

New direction, BRG? I don't see a horse on that one? (Love the toning, by the way).

Nope, not a new direction. This one goes in my "catch all" world set of coin designs I like -- been adding to that set for quite a few years. :)

I just looked at your set and if you are ever looking for a good home for your 1/4 Riyal let me know

It will be right at home:

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=21439

Edited by njf

Silver medal from J. Dossier’s Roman Republic series, 1743. I found the toning on this medal attractive and the story of Cincinnatus interesting as well.

3780705.jpg

http://www.historyinanhour.com/2010/07/06/cincinnatus-summary/

Super medal yarm! Is this considered a Jeton? What's the diameter? The die work looks very similar to silver French jetons...and the name "Dossier" rings a bell...

(thumbs u

Normally I don't buy coins with problems, but, I've been looking at these (the English pounds) for a while and superb ones are a bit expensive. The coin was slabbed "Details" due to an old cleaning but is beginning to retone. I've never ever been able to afford a British gold pound (20 shillings) but now have at least a sterling silver one.

However what I really like is the period this is from: struck by Charles I in the middle of the English Civil War. Also I'm fond of larger pieces and at ~120 grams, this has to be one of the largest circulating coins ever struck by Great Britain. I need to research the history of this piece.

England, Charles I, silver 20 shillings (pound), Oxford mint, 1642

England_Chas-I_Pnd_1642_Stks_both_low_600px.jpg

For condition conscious collectors I also bought another piece, much more common but in better grade. This is the Brazilian Republic's 1st crown, issued to repay a debt to Britain which specified the debt to be paid "in silver 2000 reis coins". Thus virtually all were exported & melted.

Brazil, Republic, 2000 reis, 1897 NGC-63

Bra_2000reis_1897_Stks_both_600px.jpg

Edited by Gallienus

hi everyone. im new here.. just found out bout this site.. need to sell some of my collections.. how much does it worth? does we need to pay first before sell or bid? advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

164913.gif.47a28ed2b7826ef34591ac53aa674ad3.gif

hi everyone. im new here.. just found out bout this site.. need to sell some of my collections.. advice would be appreciated.

http:

Well... first, welcome to the forums.

You have posted in the "world" board, which is generally reserved for non-US coinage (the forum is primarily American-centric). You posted a coin modelled off the American Morgan dollar, which would normally belong in the US boards.

However, your coin is an obvious counterfeit. It appears to be recent in origin, and the fake was probably made in China. So, you have inadvertently posted in the correct thread...

Long story short, you have a fake coin.... sorry.