• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s your favorite U.S. coinage design?

31 posts in this topic

I’d make a poll but I’m sure I would miss one. So…what is your favorite series design in U.S. coinage? Please write your favorite without regard to price or denomination. You don’t even need to own a coin of your favorite design, just whichever series you find most aesthetically appealing.

Thanks!

My all time favoriate is the Adolph Alexander Weinman Walking Liberty Half Dollar. IMVHO, nothing speaks more of American ideals than the image of a striding Liberty, with her hand outstretched to the rising sun, she is draped in the flag symbolizing the her commitment to Liberty for all in this great land. She crries laurel and oak branches symbolizing civil and military glory. On the reverse is the a bald eagle, symbol of this nation. He is pearched on a mountain with wings unfurled standing at the ready for defense of this great land.

Every time I see one of these half dollars, I am reminded of the classic artistic beauty that President Theodore Roosevelt had for the coinage of the United States. Weinman, a student of Augusts Saint-Gaudens, produced a design his mentor would have been peased with.

My second favorite is James Earle Frasier's Indian Head "Buffalo" Nickel. If the Walking Liberty Half Dollar represented America's ideals, the Buffalo Nickel represented the growth of the nation. Rather than being a caucasion-based figure with a headdress, Frasier used a composit of three real native Americans to produce a portrait that was more representative of the first settlers of the American continent. Beautiful in its majesty, Frasier's design added to the nation's growing interest in anything representing of the "Old West."

The buffalo, or American bison, is truely an American beast. As a native of the Great Plains, the buffalo is a symbol of strength and courage in its attempt to survive the human expansion across the continent. A proud beast representing a proud nation!

These are just my thoughts.

Scott

I have so many favorites, so I'll list them by denomination:

5C – Buffalo Nickel (type I, 1913). (It follows that I love the new $50 Buffalo gold coin as well! Specifically the proof version. 893applaud-thumb.gif)

10C – Mercury Dime (1916 – 1945).

25C – Standing Liberty Quarter (all types, 1916 – 1930).

50C – Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916 – 1947). (I also love Silver Eagles.)

$1 – Peace Dollar (1921 – 1935).

They were selling one of those on coin valut in AU NGC slabbed (can't remember 50,53, 55, or 58) for $69,000.00.

Here's an image of one from an old NGC article:

0503_PPS_1994936-005_l_lg.jpg

Most slabs don't have the original set #, only the original sets do.

I sat and pondered for a bit about it, then it cane clear...

Chain Cent - For regular issues

Commens, the old ones up until 1954.... So many great designs hard to pick one.

Copper: Chain Cent

Silver*: Morgan Dollar (though Peace is up there)

Gold**: St. Gaudens Double Eagle

* I think the Morgan dollar is a gorgeous design with the classic idea of Liberty, but with the added bonus of all the stuff in her hair. The Peace dollar I like because of the flowing hair in Liberty, and the unique symbolism of Peace on the reverse (as in, I don't think we would see something like that again any time soon ... ).

** Just a breath-taking design in the majesty of - well - everything about the coin. I think I'm in love.

Reich's design always did it for me. Before it was the Bust half, it was the 1/2 cent design. But Gobrecht took the Bust profile to a newer more artistic level, I think. He had the help of Reich's initial design, a collar and a steam press, so don't get me wrong, I'm not lessening my adoration of Reich's early design. Gobrecht was far ahead of his time, I think, as his Bust profile, to me, is in close proximity to what might have been drawn by someone of the art-deco era with the egyptianesque influence so often seen. She's quite a beauty.

253712740_fbccaadd09.jpg253712742_a0953988da.jpg

edited to add: The thing about Stradivari's design with the violin, that I find most interesting, is that the sound it generated is large enough to fill a modern-day full orchestra concert hall. Yet his particular design and execution was done in the days of small concert halls with much smaller orchestras than what we are used to today. I'm not saying Reich is the Stradivari of coins, but I do liken his ability to Stradivari in that he created a design that was so long lasting (it survived multiple futuristic engravers) and so well executed, when ultimately modified with the use of the steam press.

One that has always caught my eye is the Oregon Trail Commemorative. The American Indian in full headdress, the wagon with the sun and rays behind it, this coin does a lot for me.

Too bad I cannot really afford one! confused-smiley-013.gifsmile.gif

You know, Winston, you are starting to really irritate me with this question since I have spent so much time thinking about it! Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifhi.gif

My favorite regular issue copper US coin would have to be matte proof Lincoln cents. This is specific for the matte proof issues only. Otherwise, it would have to be the Flying Eagle cent for business strikes. My favorite regular issue nickel US coin is easily the Buffalo nickel; I'm sorry, but there is nothing close for nickel coinage. My favorite regular issue silver US coin is the Gobrecht dollar, though some may argue if it was truly a regular issue, in which case I would choose the Draped Bust Small Eagle half dollars and dollars. The Draped Bust Small Eagle half dimes, dimes and quarters are not as well proportioned, in my opinion, and should not be lumped together with the half dollar and dollar. Special merit should go to the type one Standing Liberty quarter and pickled finish Walking Liberty halves. My favorite regular issue gold US coin would be Bela Lyon Pratt's Indian half eagle, which is one of the more stunning coins any nation has produced.

Commems are an entire different kettle of fish that I have not addressed in this post.

Reich's design always did it for me. Before it was the Bust half, it was the 1/2 cent design. But Gobrecht took the Bust profile to a newer more artistic level, I think. He had the help of Reich's initial design, a collar and a steam press, so don't get me wrong, I'm not lessening my adoration of Reich's early design. Gobrecht was far ahead of his time, I think, as his Bust profile, to me, is in close proximity to what might have been drawn by someone of the art-deco era with the egyptianesque influence so often seen. She's quite a beauty.

edited to add: The thing about Stradivari's design with the violin, that I find most interesting, is that the sound it generated is large enough to fill a modern-day full orchestra concert hall. Yet his particular design and execution was done in the days of small concert halls with much smaller orchestras than what we are used to today. I'm not saying Reich is the Stradivari of coins, but I do liken his ability to Stradivari in that he created a design that was so long lasting (it survived multiple futuristic engravers) and so well executed, when ultimately modified with the use of the steam press.

What an outstanding post, Mike! acclaim.gif

No way, Mike. That Gobrecht copy is too skinny and got no boobs! Now here is a lady worthy of adoration. By 1837 she is a mere shadow of her former glory. wink.gif

Reichbust.jpggobrechtbust.jpg

MIne is the 1796-1807 Draped Bust design

Ive said and others agree that my g/f's profile looks just like her when her hair is done up and when she wears her low cut shirts. Even the same facial features. amazing - when i see these coins . i think of her

Thanks Robert Scot

Jeff

In spite of the fact that Morgans are my favorite series to collect, I have to admit that the Walking Liberty Half is the prettiest of our nation's coinage.

Chris

Unfair question sign-rantpost.gif It's like asking which one of your children you like best 893whatthe.gif Each of them has something unique and special about them.

The first time I saw a picture of a St. Gauden's double eagle as a child I thought it was the most beautiful coin ever minted. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif I longed to own one but the brilliant uncirculated ones cost $80.00 and there was no way I could persuade my widowed mother to purchase one at such a price. Our family could eat for a month on that sum at the time.

Standing Liberty Quarters caught my eye early on as they were still in circulation when I was a child. I used to marvel at their worn beauty cloud9.gif on the ones my dad would use for tips at a restaurant. I wondered why such beautiful coins were discontinued with ones of George Washington.

My parents gave me Walking Liberty Halves in fine condition that they picked up from circulation. I really liked the first ones that I saw in AU+ 893applaud-thumb.gif

These are just a few of my favorite coins but I could write about many more.

Some of my own personal favorites (in no particular order): Saints, Morgans, Standing Liberty quarters (especially Type One), Barbers (especially halves),, Walkers, Indian cents, Ten Liberties, Seated halves, 1836-39 halves, Trade dollars, Mercury dimes. I have a lot of favorites. If I had to pick one, it probably would be a three-way tie between Saints, Walkers, and Standing Liberties.