• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Question for Week #9 is...

28 posts in this topic

• Administrator

How many stars appear on double eagles dated 1912?

First post that correctly answers the above question wins "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels, Second Edition" written by our very own David W. Lange.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all remaining posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

• Administrator

The question:

How many stars appear on double eagles dated 1912?

The answer:

61. There are 48 on the obverse and 13 on the edge.

Reference: Breen Encyclopedia page 573

I knew this one would be tough. There was no one with the correct answer however, the user that was in the right ballpark was Boiler78 who responded 76 stars (48 on obverse, 26 on the edge).

Boiler78, do you have a reference for your answer (for my own education)? Have you caught me on a technicality again? smile.gif

Have you caught me on a technicality again?

Yes. I only buy NGC slabbed coins and since an NGC slab prevents the edge from being seen, those 13 stars don't count. I say 48 is the correct answer. laugh.gif

Last week's question was too easy (or else you guys are too smart), so this week's was a toughy. Remember, every coin has three sides (whether you can see them or not)!

In Columbus, Dena asked me if I thought the questions had been too easy. I said yes, not expecting this kind of a question. (I thought the questions would require more extensive research...)

I think it is important to remind us that a coin has 3 sides; I just wished I remembered that!

EVP

Aw come on EVP! Week 4 by sarcolman was a killer! This was a perfectly reasonable question, even though I got it wrong (sniff) and everyone else did! laugh.gif

Hoot

Yes, yes, that was a tough one. Moreover, it was interesting...

I am relatively new to this forum, and only read the last few. So, I guess I meant that the more recent ones seemed easy to me.

Still, I really shouldn't comment. It's not like I won yet.

EVP