• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prices are nuts!!

25 posts in this topic

I just checked, and it appears that I won a 1943 lincoln in pcgs ms68 from the heritage long beach auction.

get this! the coin is pop 45 at pcgs and pop 5 at ngc.

and I just gave 1300$ for the silly thing. I can't believe it .

up to about a year ago you could buy one for 300$.

anyway do you think this is to high a price or is demand for lincolns just that high.

I thought the market was slowing down a bit but it sure dosen't look like it now.

I do admit that this was the last ms68 coin that I could buy for my registry set. that was still sorta cheap.

rantpost.gif I and several others for the registry or inventory have been buying these high grade coins from the 34-59 set.

anyway good luck at trying to buy an ms67 /68 coin for this registry set. I just don't think there out there anymore . 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

wow makes the choice to gem unc. seated coins three cent nickels lib nickels barber coinage indian cents look inexpensive and value buys!

sincerely michael

I don't know that part of the market that you are living in, however, I thought I remembered seeing these offered in the $800 range last year. Perhaps I am thinking of a branch mint?

They are Michael, Seated, 3-Cent and Barber Coins (particularly Half Dollars) are cheaper than a $30.00 suit. Consider one coin (the 1910-P Barber Half). Total NGC Pop. is about 70 coins with a double handfull above MS64. Yet a MS64 coin sells for about $1000. (see scan). Compare that price/scarcity relationship to Saints or Morgans!

183092-1910PHalf.jpg.1140e2efc6b2edc374d792fa4c6a6987.jpg

I just checked, and it appears that I won a 1943 lincoln in pcgs ms68 from the heritage long beach auction.

get this! the coin is pop 45 at pcgs and pop 5 at ngc.

and I just gave 1300$ for the silly thing. I can't believe it .

up to about a year ago you could buy one for 300$.

anyway do you think this is to high a price or is demand for lincolns just that high.

I thought the market was slowing down a bit but it sure dosen't look like it now.

I do admit that this was the last ms68 coin that I could buy for my registry set. that was still sorta cheap.

I think that it is the going rate. Someone else mentioned paying something around this price a few weeks back. Is it worth it? Hell no! An MS67 is what, a $30 coin. Is the difference worth $1270?

Why did you "gave 1300$ for the silly thing" if you didn't think it was worth it and value the coin at that much? This is a coin that was saved in MASSIVE unc roll quantities. More MS68s are bound to be made. Lots more. That's a coin from that era that still has massive amounts of unsearched rolls that haven't come on the market.

There was an NGC MS68 at Long Beach. It wasn't anywhere near $1300 in price. I think it was priced around $500. The only reason I remember it is that it had a price sticker on the front of the slab and that is rare at that show.

rantpost.gif I lost out on a lock MS68 1943-S two weeks ago for under $10. It was on a bid board and I couldn't make it to the closing. I had to go to some birthday party. Someone outbid me on it. 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifmad.gifmad.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifmad.gifmad.gif893censored-thumb.gif I swear I've lost so many coins there recently that someone must know my bid board number and be looking for stuff I bid on. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I agree oldtrader, I bought a nice MS-64 1902 Barber half not too long ago, and I just checked the pop report, 124 total graded, 34 in 64, 9 higher, and I think I paid about $800 for it. And the 1902 is common!

I sold a MS 68 last year for a little over $300. I also sold a '43-S for $950. It took me a while of side by side examination to realize that the 68 had slightly fewer and smaller ticks. I needed a glass to realize this.

Now I wish I kept them to sell today.

well gregg ,

I needed it for the registry set. it seems the pcgs version

(way over priced) was the one that looked like it would hold the most value.

and buy the way I am going to try and get this order out to ngc to grade. and it contains the 1856 copper half you asked about last week.

rob. stooges.gif

I needed it for the registry set.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

it seems the pcgs version (way over priced) was the one that looked like it would hold the most value.

I really can't want to see how this registry game plays out. It's odd. The coin market is doing fairly well for the nicer material, yet the registry fever seems to have died down across the street. I don't know if it is because people have left that forum (I seem to see many of the same faces in the registry forum, but never paid that much attention to them, so I don't know). Has the registry idea just lost its appeal? Just the PCGS registry? A fair amount of top pop coins went unsold at Long Beach.

I noticed the mention of the registry awards for this year. Seems to have drawn a collective yawn. Odd.

and buy the way I am going to try and get this order out to ngc to grade. and it contains the 1856 copper half you asked about last week.

Let us know what that comes back as. I'm really interested in hearing what they come up with.

The CU Registry forum might have died down a bit. But I think Registry fever is still hot.

I saw an early Jeff in PCGS PR 68 that went unsold at Long Beach. However the asking price was over $6K while the undergrade is around $375. A 1971-S in PCGS PR 69 DCAM just sold for $4,300 on TeleTrade last night. So it does seem people continue to pay top dollar for top grades.

I agree with what Carl is saying about the Registry in general in that I think the PCGS forum has lost a little steam in that niche, however, I don't know that this reflects the overall market. You have seen some top graded coins languish so you have some anecdotal evidence for this. We have all seen some incredibly high prices, though, that would state otherwise.

You have seen some top graded coins languish so you have some anecdotal evidence for this. We have all seen some incredibly high prices, though, that would state otherwise.

Agreed, and I admit that I didn't check the prices for most of these so I don't know if they were priced fair or insane. It was just rather startling to see several of these coins with "top pop" stickers placed on them still sitting in the cases on Friday. A few shows ago those coins don't even make it into the cases.

I think that one reason the PCGS Registry Board has lost a lot of steam is that there have been so many ignored requests over there for sets that posters are passionate about. The sets are ignored so that Canadian gold and British gold sets can be added, or descriptions can be added to the Eliasberg sets that are added.

Cosmicdebris was promised a SMS set conglomerate two years ago and it still hasn't materialized. D. Hall approved the idea of a basic Type set around the same time, and it still isn't in the queue.

Agreed, and I admit that I didn't check the prices for most of these so I don't know if they were priced fair or insane. It was just rather startling to see several of these coins with "top pop" stickers placed on them still sitting in the cases on Friday. A few shows ago those coins don't even make it into the cases.

I looked at several in the recent Heritage auctions that didn't meet reserves, and the reason was simple. The coins did not meet the grades. An MS-69 quarter I looked at had more marks than a pop-top MS-67 I recently sold on E-Bay.

I probably should not post this on the board, however, I don't see cosmicdebris post here so I will write it. That is, I have always felt like PCGS did not treat cosmicdebris "right" as far as the Registry was concerned. Please keep in mind that I have never spoken with cosmicdebris about this, nor have I ever brought the point up with PCGS or other numismatists. The reason I had this feeling was because it seemed to me that PCGS was encouraging him to complete his twentieth century type set when they were in the initial stages of launching it, however, once it was launched it again seemed to me that his effort was ignored. I felt badly because he momentarily had a top-ranked set based upon fairly common coins that could be bought at any mid-sized show. It was also inevitable that this achievement would be blown away by bigger spenders once the set caught on. I guess that is what has always stuck in my craw; was he encouraged to complete a set that needed help just so that others would take notice? If so, he could have diverted much of his budget in this endeavor.

Again, please accept this as all conjecture on my part and simply how it all read to me as it played out. I could be completely wrong and apologize to all if I am.

Tom,

I think that PCGS did several collectors a real disservice. Although the coins that they own are not rare by any means, they were active collectors who strongly supported the concept of the Registry and a spirit of friendly competition. Even knowing that one day, there would be many collections that would surpass theirs in "rank," they enjoyed putting together the sets, photoing them, and sharing the coins with others.

During that whole process, they were active posters on the Set Registry board and were pioneers and advocates of the Registry program. When more advanced collectors started noticing the Registry phenomenon, these early collectors were ignored and left in the dust. PCGS completely revamped all of their Type sets, and in spite of a large percentage of Registrants voicing opposition to the changes, basically destroyed all the sets that these guys worked on for no really good reason.

These guys didn't care that they were not #1, or never would be, but they played by PCGS' rules anyway and still got shafted when PCGS decided to change all the rules on them.

These guys didn't care that they were not #1, or never would be, but they played by PCGS' rules anyway and still got shafted when PCGS decided to change all the rules on them.

So, in other words they were treated just like submitters? boo.gif

So, in other words they were treated just like submitters? boo.gif

Only the Economy tier submitters. wink.gif

PCGS got a LOT of free publicity and recruiting from these guys, and being one of them, did feel that PCGS did really screw us over.

One example: The Modern Type Set was set from 1964 to present. Based on those original rules, my retired set STILL ranks 3rd on the list. But you won't find it there, because a few weeks after I retired the set, PCGS changed the set composition from 1964 to present to 1950 to present, and added four coins. This addition dropped my retired set to 88% complete, which boots it off the all-time finest list. The real bear is that I had all of the four new coins in my personal collection, but since they weren't registered, too bad.

In the end, I don't care where I rank, but I did feel that PCGS went out of their way to ahaft the people who were instrumental in making the program popular.

I find this all kind of interesting. Currently PCGS will only recognize new varieties if the registry set people approve. Seems like they worship the reg people, yet don't care about them at the same time.

I find this all kind of interesting. Currently PCGS will only recognize new varieties if the registry set people approve. Seems like they worship the reg people, yet don't care about them at the same time.

Greg, we had about 80 votes on each of the polls relating to the changes in the Type sets. Guess it is WHO you are and not how MANY there may be.

Keith- I remember when PCGS did that (changed the Modern Type from 1964 to 1950). I voted against it. The complete Type Registry ends with 1964 so why back up the Modern set and require duplicate coins?

I've dropped all my sets other than a couple of my "Worse Known" fun sets (Commemoratives; Type, and Ikes).

The real kicker for me was when PCGS diluted the impact of the Registry by adding too many (in my words/ my opinion) worthless Rah-Rah sets.

Oh well. In a way I'm grateful as soon afterward I killed two top five Modern sets and sold them all. It was a good time to do so (especially the MintState Kennedies).

I admittingly was one of those that would add the insert to the set even if the coin didn't really meet my expectation/standard.

Keith- I remember when PCGS did that (changed the Modern Type from 1964 to 1950). I voted against it. The complete Type Registry ends with 1964 so why back up the Modern set and require duplicate coins?

You used to only need 1964-date coins. Now if you want to play, you need to buy those coins from 1950-1963. Puts more demand on the PCGS product, prices rise, people are willing to submit more to PCGS, etc. Now you have coins that will fit in both sets. Hey, while you're working on one set, why not work on the other. Only need X number of coins. Puts the same demand pressure on the PCGS coins.

The real kicker for me was when PCGS diluted the impact of the Registry by adding too many (in my words/ my opinion) worthless Rah-Rah sets.

Those are awful sets. The useless year sets, etc. I'm sure with 20 coins I could be registered in 100 different sets.

In a way I'm grateful as soon afterward I killed two top five Modern sets and sold them all.

I admittingly was one of those that would add the insert to the set even if the coin didn't really meet my expectation/standard.

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif Wait a second. Those people don't exist. Just ask over there. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Actually, I'm glad you admitted it. I'd bet 95% of the people putting together sets do this, yet practically no one will admit it.

Actually, I'm glad you admitted it. I'd bet 95% of the people putting together sets do this, yet practically no one will admit it.

I caught myself doing this a few weeks ago and I haven't entered a coin into the registry since! I'm going through registry set hype withdrawal wink.gif! I'm reviewing every coin to make sure I am keeping it for its own merits and not because of how many points it’s worth. Once I'm back to normal, maybe I'll pay attention to the registry sets again. Registry Set Hype Disease (RSHD) is very painful because you spend all your money on plastic and you don't get to buy the coins you really want. The first step toward rehab is to admit that you have a problem! Hello, everyone! I have a problem 893applaud-thumb.gif!

I caught myself doing this a few weeks ago and I haven't entered a coin into the registry since! I'm going through registry set hype withdrawal wink.gif! I'm reviewing every coin to make sure I am keeping it for its own merits and not because of how many points it’s worth. Once I'm back to normal, maybe I'll pay attention to the registry sets again. Registry Set Hype Disease (RSHD) is very painful because you spend all your money on plastic and you don't get to buy the coins you really want. The first step toward rehab is to admit that you have a problem! Hello, everyone! I have a problem 893applaud-thumb.gif!

The 12 Steps to the PCG$ Registrollics Anonymous

Step 1. Came to believe in a higher power than PCG$ to grade coins! It's you! 27_laughing.gif

Leo