• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changes to the Panda Registry set

How should commemorative issues be handled in the 10Y Silver Panda Complete Set?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How should commemorative issues be handled in the 10Y Silver Panda Complete Set?

42 posts in this topic

I do have a coin that I have not seen yet graded - 2004 " 20th Anniv. of Commercial and Industrial Bank"

I take that back... I have a 2005 commercial bank & a 2004 construction bank. Could you post a scan of the 2004 coin? That one is new to me.

Bob,

I'm going to try to say this in a constructive way...

Things change. I believe they have changed for the better. Would you have prefered that NGC had left discrepancies in their varieties so we wouldn't have to send our coins back?

I'm guessing that you'll just be on the hook for postage which on the scale of things in this hobby is pretty cheap. Next time you send raw coins in for grading, send in your slabs for correction and it won't cost you much.

also...

you might want to hold off a few weeks before sending anything back. I believe the 1995 and 1999 will change too to accurately reflect the varieties.

Larry,

The link below will take you to a picture of the 20th Anniversary of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Panda coin. It the last picture shown. I bought a set with the 1/4 oz gold coin back in 2004 and haven't seen it on sale for quite a while.

http://www.chinagoldcoin.net/english/NewIssues/2004panda1.htm

Mike

One more thing...

Youmight want to hold off on entering coins in the commemorative set. The colored proof coins are in there instead of the proof set. Jay indicated he would change it when he gets time.

Jay told me on friday they would begin to recognize two different 1999 large dates (Serif & Plain 1" and two different date types (Large & Small) for the 1995 small twig. It will be a couple of weeks before the registry is updated though.

As far as I know that should pretty much complete the MS registry. I'm not aware of any additional varieties. They are still not recognizing the frosty types so I'm simply starting a second registry set for myself to hold my frosty's.

Well, I feel compelled sign-rantpost.gif to make this statement and then let it go. After all our discussions 893blahblah.gif about registries and what should go where and what should be included etc; I still see that we have mixed proof and ms coins in the same registry. For the life of me I do not understand confused.gif why ngc has decided to include proof's and mint state in the "ONE PER DATE" registry.

It was my understanding that we would have a proof only, a ms only, and a commemorative registry for panda's. Now we have 4 registries, what absurdity!!!

Would have been so much less confusing to others to have a simple 3 registry format for all panda's.

If you feel compelled to reply, poke2.gif be my guest.

Bob

Little confused confused.gif Larry when you say they are recognizing the frosty types.

They are in the registry?

Thanks for the updates.

Bob

They are NOT recognizing the frosty's as separate varieties. I respect their decision to do so. I don't collect simply for the registries or NGC grades, so I'll just keep track of my frosty varieties on their own.

Well, I feel compelled sign-rantpost.gif to make this statement and then let it go. After all our discussions 893blahblah.gif about registries and what should go where and what should be included etc; I still see that we have mixed proof and ms coins in the same registry. For the life of me I do not understand confused.gif why ngc has decided to include proof's and mint state in the "ONE PER DATE" registry.

It was my understanding that we would have a proof only, a ms only, and a commemorative registry for panda's. Now we have 4 registries, what absurdity!!!

Would have been so much less confusing to others to have a simple 3 registry format for all panda's.

If you feel compelled to reply, poke2.gif be my guest.

Bob

I have no relationship with NGC so these opinions are my own. I'm assuming they wanted to keep the one per date set for the more casual collectors of pandas out there. Given that they have more registry sets in that category than anywhere else, I can understand why they wanted to keep it.

I lost in my attempt to get the frosty varieties recognized and you didn't get the exact number of sets you wanted. I guess, that's the nature of compromise.

I don't intend to compete in the one per date set. I personally think that's best left to the novice panda collectors who would then "graduate" to the three set registry eventually.