• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whizzed Coins.

9 posts in this topic

21Peace.jpg21PeaceRev.jpg

I have noticed that there are new members who occasionally post regarding the appearance of a "whizzed" coin. The coin shown above is a good example of a coin that was probably whizzed by a cloth buffing wheel. If you look closely, you can see circular polish marks in the field of the coin, particularly in the upper obverse field.

This coin purchased raw by me (as a MS63) from a past ANA President (dealer) who gave me a return guarantee on the coin because it was toned a very dark carmine color that effectively masked the surfaces and the surfaces looked "off". I submitted the coin to PCGS, who dipped it without my permission, BB'ed it and than lied about dipping it. PCGS claimed that their packing flips changed the color! To add insult to injury, the dealer would not take it back. He said that "it had been too long", because of the elapsed submission time. I never did business with that dealer again.

If this post keeps one person from buying a whizzed coin in the future, it has done a public service.

Bummer, Charlie, that truly is a raw deal! mad.gif

This was a bum deal for me:

Lafayette Commem

The photo didn't look too bad to me but when I got it in hand, it was hairlined and whizzed. You really can't tell so much from the photo but the reverse is especially bad. From one angle in the lighting, the hairlines disappear except for a small outline surrounding the device due to the whizzing.

The seller, Vernon Coin Company , did not mention any of the problems in the description and the photo was deceptive as well. To top it all, they charged a 15% restocking fee which equated to $55. Oh well, I guess that it was a fairly cheap reinforcement lesson for me. frown.gif

Victor: I guess that the good news is that you could send it back. The dealer that I bought the Peace dollar from got me for over $300.00, plus PCGS fees.

I experimented with some cull dollars and whizzed them with a dremel and a brass wire brush. I was shocked I tell you how good it looked to the naked eye and didn't look THAT bad under magnification. To further my experiment, I kept at it till it finally turned shiney like a coin that has been polished. I put it in a money clip and it will be a gift next christmas for some lucky, or unlucky person, depending on your view. I've also experimented with artificle toning methods. All in the name of educating myself to know what I'm looking at. Never have tried to sell them as 'undoctored'. Never would. Don't think I've ever sold one. I just keep them as cull/bullion. It's pretty easy to spot a doctored coin, imho. Of course, I could be wrong but I trust my local coin dealer and buy quite a few coins online from reputable dealers.

I just got back into collecting after years of not and had lots of coins from my childhood collection and a lot more was added via inheritance. As part of my learning, I also bought some NGC graded coins from MS-63 to MS-67 to have as a reference.

After about three years of being back into it, and looking at quite a few coins and going to shows, I would say I'm 'fairly' decent at it.

One problem I have is two 1932d quarters that have a small carbon deposit on them. Otherwise I'd say they grade VF and EF, respectively. I'm thinking of sending them into NGC conservation to see if they can do anything with them.

Just another reason why not to trust PCGS... Shady people, they can be.

Buy the coin in the holder you want, and forget getting things graded yourself. That goes for crossovers too.

I've been collecting coins for 50 years, and I made out pretty well in the coin submission game. But I didn’t win every time, and sometimes I thought I was unfairly treated to say the least. The novice it’s got to be worse.

Not that I am an expert...(I'm not), but I just purchased 5 morgans, on eBay, that I am sure have been whizzed (supposedly they will all score better than a MS60). I wanted to have them so I know what to look for in "cleaned/whizzed" coins. I got them from 3 different dealers online and I asked each of them if they had been cleaned. They all gave me the same political answer "Not in my presence" (bull!).

I did take a small loss, but not bad. I got them for an average of $22.78. Some day the silver market will pay me back for this, but for now I cannot wait for them to get here so I can really examine them.

I will take as good a picture of them all as I can and post them (if I can figure the picture posting out).

Joe S.

Or you can just refuse delivery and not get stuck with shipping charges. Kind of low to do that, but at that price I'm pretty sure you are correct in your assumption. You DID give them every opportunity to "come clean" (pun intended)! I usually get stuck with return shipping, maybe it's time some of these scammers learned a lesson! I know I'll probably take some knocks for suggesting this, but sorry, I have no sympathy for these cheats. Maybe we should all start doing that with these obvious replicas and they will get the idea! Post the item numbers and get good opinions from the many people who I'm sure would be happy to help you!

Not that I am an expert...(I'm not), but I just purchased 5 morgans, on eBay, that I am sure have been whizzed (supposedly they will all score better than a MS60). I wanted to have them so I know what to look for in "cleaned/whizzed" coins. I got them from 3 different dealers online and I asked each of them if they had been cleaned. They all gave me the same political answer "Not in my presence" (bull!).

I did take a small loss, but not bad. I got them for an average of $22.78. Some day the silver market will pay me back for this, but for now I cannot wait for them to get here so I can really examine them.

I will take as good a picture of them all as I can and post them (if I can figure the picture posting out).

Joe S.

You seem to be using "cleaned" and "'whizzed" interchangeably, and many other people do the same. But they have very different meanings and repercussions.