• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,498 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, rrantique said:

1834_copy-1.jpg

1834 p.jpg

I believe what many people, lovers of toning or not, fail to realize is how far ahead of its time this coin was in terms of utilizing the principles of applying tie-dying, then in its infancy, and adapting that knowledge and experience to the hydraulics involved in producing still malleable planchets with an application of vibrant colors over time in a disciplined, clock-work manner so as to keep bleeding to an absolute minimum. Coins that failed to meet the rigorous inspection were promptly discarded and remelted without debate or discussion.  Few survive making this spectacular coin the ultimate prize of globe-trotting, exacting, life-long collectors like our own difficult-to-please @VKurtB .  While it may be generally true that VKurtB eschews toning, this scarce and unusual piece far exceeds blanket and peripheral phenomena that is ordinarily observed on the more modern coins in their various denominations whereas this coin, not often seen, is in a class by itself.  (thumbsu

Rating: 🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of Rating; 5 because six are not available.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:19 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe what many people, lovers of toning or not, fail to realize is how far ahead of its time this coin was in terms of utilizing the principles of applying tie-dying, then in its infancy, and adapting that knowledge and experience to the hydraulics involved in producing still malleable planchets with an application of vibrant colors over time in a disciplined, clock-work manner so as to keep bleeding to an absolute minimum. Coins that failed to meet the rigorous inspection were promptly discarded and remelted without debate or discussion.  Few survive making this spectacular coin the ultimate prize of globe-trotting, exacting, life-long collectors like our own difficult-to-please @VKurtB .  While it may be generally true that VKurtB eschews toning, this scarce and unusual piece far exceeds blanket and peripheral phenomena that is ordinarily observed on the more modern coins in their various denominations whereas this coin, not often seen, is in a class by itself.  (thumbsu

Rating: 🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓 

I do not care for this toning even a tiny little bit. I would never pay any premium for this.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:16 PM, VKurtB said:

I do not care for this toning even a tiny little bit. I would never pay any premium for this.

Knowing your well-known views on the subject and not wishing to belabor the matter anymore than necessary, drawing on your many unheralded,   underappreciated and untold hours working feverishly to uncover the root causes and possible environmental intermatallic interactions involved, to what do you attribute this phenomenon to, NT or AT, suggesting exposure to proximity to what chemical-laden elements involved, gaseous or otherwise?     🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
EOM TM: ROOSTER.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:23 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Knowing your well-known views on the subject and not wishing to belabor the matter anymore than necessary, drawing on your many unheralded,   underappreciated and untold hours working feverishly to uncover the root causes and possible environmental intermatallic interactions involved, to what do you attribute this phenomenon to, NT or AT, suggesting exposure to proximity to what chemical-laden elements involved, gaseous or otherwise?     🐓 

I’m leaning slightly more toward liquids. 

On 9/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m leaning slightly more toward liquids. 

Liquids?  That's not a hunch; that's a multi-count indictment in the offing!

On 9/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, Mr_Spud said:

82227187-C31F-4483-856B-0CD10B89D4C9.jpeg

E6DA9543-C500-44BE-89B5-40A94559B83B.jpeg

The 1817 over 1813? more than makes up for the bite a baby Tyrannasaurus Rex took out of the obverse rim at 9 o' clock.  Nice even wear. Great find!

On 9/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, Mr_Spud said:

46BFB698-A5AE-483E-A3CD-F02A045D540F.jpeg

F87B4091-7D77-41AF-AA3A-5415FE4EDB19.jpeg

One would assume a chocolate brown color on a large cent, but on a silver coin? Is there a plausible explanation? (shrug)

Probably spent some time in a leather pouch or something similar, not really sure though. I purchased it raw at a coin show in Anaheim CA about 10 years ago because I liked how it looked and then submitted to PCGS where they gave it a grade of VF35. I think it’s the first bust half I ever owned.

Edited by Mr_Spud