• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,498 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

It is so unfortunate that this design was deemed inappropriate and changed.

1917t1qdcomp.jpg

I agree. I think this is one of the all time best designs. 

I must say, for some of us older collectors from the 1960's, were it not for this post we would rarely be afforded a glimpse of these treasures unspooling from the comfort of our own homes.  Kudos to the OP for his inestimably valuable thread and creative vision.  😉

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I must say, for some of us older collectors from the 1960's, were it not for this post we would rarely be afforded a glimpse of these treasures unspooling from the comfort of our own homes.  Kudos to the OP for his inestimably valuable thread and creative vision.  😉

Thank you. One of these days I'll share my reason for creating it. 

@Coinbuf Respectfully, I don't see any missing rivets on @AcesKings example a few posts above!  Since when has "wear" become a four-letter word?  The rank amateur in me is screaming AU-59+*  I cannot in good conscience assign your gorgeous coin a grade that equals or exceeds the one [MS-65] awarded the 1933 SG DE whose leg injury, left untreated, developed MRSA.  You understand.

17 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@Coinbuf Respectfully, I don't see any missing rivets on @AcesKings example a few posts above!  Since when has "wear" become a four-letter word?  The rank amateur in me is screaming AU-59+*  I cannot in good conscience assign your gorgeous coin a grade that equals or exceeds the one [MS-65] awarded the 1933 SG DE whose leg injury, left untreated, developed MRSA.  You understand.

Is his coin a 1930-S?   If you had taken the time to review earlier posts you would see that there are no missing rivets on the 1917 that I and others posted also.  Your comments are an unwelcomed attack and display a position of inadequate knowledge of the series or how to grade properly. 

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Is his coin a 1930-S?   If you had taken the time to review earlier posts you would see that there are no missing rivets on the 1917 that I and others posted also.  Your comments are an unwelcomed attack and display a position of inadequate knowledge of the series or how to grade properly. 

Aw, simmer down, Coinbuf!  What're we talking about here?  Rivets? Attack? Your collection is mah-ve-lous. Don't get all bent out of shape over anything a mere chiffonnier has to say.  Instead of embarrassing your standing here with a temper tantrum, try using a more civil tone when addressing other members in non life-threatening matters.  What happened to "Be Nice or Be Gone"? Tell you what, ask nicely and I'll give you back your rivets. Bet?  😉

9 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Aw, simmer down, Coinbuf!  What're we talking about here?  Rivets? Attack? Your collection is mah-ve-lous. Don't get all bent out of shape over anything a mere chiffonnier has to say.  Instead of embarrassing your standing here with a temper tantrum, try using a more civil tone when addressing other members in non life-threatening matters.  What happened to "Be Nice or Be Gone"? Tell you what, ask nicely and I'll give you back your rivets. Bet?  😉

The only one that does and continues to embarrass himself is you, you have lost posting privilege's on more than one occasion as a result of attacks and inappropriate behavior.   Yet you need this place so much that you continue to come back and attack members, its as if you crave the negative reinforcement.  I am not bent out of shape nor am I having a temper tantrum; far from it.  The op has on more than one occasion asked you to refrain from excessive commentary on this thread, why do you feel the need to continue to go against his wishes.  This is the last time I will post on this thread on this, I respect the op's desire that this be a thread for showing coins not a place for your attacks.

[Readers may wish to scroll back up to a comment I made only 48 hours ago, to which the OP not only thanked me personally but made a cryptic reference to a desire to reveal his reason for creating the post some 15 years ago.]

At the suggestion of a gentleman who has more than the negative-three experience I have on this subject matter, I have devoted hours to studying the curious anomaly of basic elements missing from an mint state Liberty Standing coin and to my astonishment discovered this was no isolated phenomenon.

I have scoured every source commonly known to collectors and when I came across an example equal to if not exceeding Coinbuf's example, minus rivets, I realized I was clearly deficient in the requisite knowledge of the existence of this design deficiency.  If I am going to pay $5,000.+ for a Mint State coin, however lustrous and eye 👁 appealing, I am going to get a second or third opinion from those well-versed in such extra-terrestrial phenomenon. My apologies to the OP for derailing your long-running thread, to Coinbuf for unnecessarily grandstanding for the benefit of refugees ATS (who couldn't care less) for the sole purpose of cementing your illusory  reputation as self-anoninted shot-caller when common decency suggests a PM would have been a more appropriate forum for a baseless, venomous, personal attack, and, last but not least, My Cousin Vinny who importuned to me to pay heed to the hazard lights ahead and for successfully resisting every attempt made by fellow members to allow them to push his buttons.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, AcesKings said:

1923-2.thumb.jpg.c35b773d372b67854d730b5c109e2546.jpg1923R.thumb.jpg.39d3f4ed5d21415c87519a59b8c85891.jpg

The Liberty Standing Quarter controversy reduced to a nutshell...

1.  Place a dainty vest of chain mail over the exposed upper right appendage.  2. Dispense with consideration of both the sans culottes (long trousers or pantaloons) and knee breeches favored by the working-class and aristocracy, respectively, with a long, veiled gown.

3.  Recess the pedestal the date is embossed on to minimize wear. And, 4.  Throw three stars under the eagle in flight. Voila!

@AcesKings you rock!

The only information members would undoubtedly be overeagar to supply are the various dates of implementation.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, AcesKings said:

1917T1-3.jpg.53c141f8816f89d3d3d12460d87b4036.jpg1917T1-3R.jpg.81e4899e04ef652dc5079532bb44c371.jpg