• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,440 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, robec1347 said:

RIWhite_1941dLinc1_MS67RB.jpg

Superlative beyond words!  And yet, there are some, among them -- our much beloved VKurt "embrace the change" B, who has publicly declared he has never, and will never buy a coin, sight unseen, and not in his hand (and does not see the utility of a Set Registry citing non-strategic  competition.) What more would one need to know beyond what's been presented here?  Just minutes ago, I received from DHL a coin I never laid eyes upon from an overseas location, an 1908 MS 67 French 20-franc gold rooster which I expect to supersede the MS 66+ now lying in my Set Registy ATS  -- at a cost differential of $300. All I knew is what I had seen in pixilated form.  I am not at all ashamed to say I would not hesitate to purchase a coin, sight unseen, from someone I do not know and never met.  Nice catch, robec1347!  You've got Coinbuf droolin' and that speaks volumes. (He won't refute this because he's got me on Ignore.)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification

37 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Superlative beyond words!  And yet, there are some, among them -- our much beloved VKurt "embrace the change" B, who has publicly declared he has never, and will never buy a coin, sight unseen, and not in his hand (and does not see the utility of a Set Registry citing non-strategic  competition.) What more would one need to know beyond what's been presented here?  Just minutes ago, I received from DHL a coin I never laid eyes upon from an overseas location, an 1908 MS 67 French 20-franc gold rooster which I expect to supersede the MS 66+ now lying in my Set Registy ATS  -- at a cost differential of $300. All I knew is what I had seen in pixilated form.  I am not at all ashamed to say I would not hesitate to purchase a coin, sight unseen, from someone I do not know and never met.  Nice catch, robec1347!  You've got Coinbuf droolin' and that speaks volumes. (He won't refute this because he's got me on Ignore.)

I always enjoyed reading Kurt’s posts before he left Coin Talk. I also listened to a radio interview with Kurt a few months ago on the subject of coins. Most of my coins have been purchased by sight in pixilated form.  For the most part I have not been disappointed. This particular coin I had seen in hand when I photographed it while still with its previous owner 10+ years ago. This coin was part of a run consisting of 20-25 other 1941-D’s with the Cert numbers in sequential order. The majority were graded 67RB, with just a few one point lower. I found another from this small hoard on eBay 3 years ago with the Cert number 11.