• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,498 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2019 at 7:44 PM, ldhair said:

Gold is wild. 

Thanks for starting this thread Idhair, it's been a great way for newbie me to see many great coins and think about relations among them. And it is incredible how long it's been going, a credit to a great idea. :idea:

Edited by Teacher Brian

On 1/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

A raw coin in my 7070 album, I've been working on my photography skills and am getting better but needs some more work.  These were taken with the coin in the album so the edges are not very crisp or defined, cracked out of an NGC AU58 holder.  Coin looks cleaned/dipped before it was holdered but is beginning to acquire some edge tone from the album that over time will hopefully make this look more acceptable.

1852-comp.jpg

So, sometimes you can take a coin out of the holder and have it more available to handle, if you like? How do you "crack" it out? (if I should ask this kind of question elsewhere, just let me know, I'm learning)

Edited by Teacher Brian

On 3/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

No worries, cracking a slab can be done in many ways for myself I just set the slab on edge and start giving it love taps along the side of the slab.  Usually only takes a few before the slab cracks along the sonically sealed edge and falls apart leaving the insert and coin free.  I only do this with coins that I have wanted in my 7070 album, and many of those are problem coins, low grade coins, or junk slabs (NNC, SGS or the like) where the slab doesn't add much value.  Another reason to crack a slab is to submit a coin raw, I once cracked an NNC MS68 Lincoln coin and submitted it PCGS where it graded MS67, rare for on of these holders to grade so close.  The key is not to go wild swinging the hammer or you might damage the coin, another way I've heard is to use a bench vise to squeeze the slab into breaking apart but haven't tried that method myself.  If you ever do decide to try it cover the slab with a cloth, those slab shards can fly and are sharp.

And to keep things on track.

1912D---Comp.jpg

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, Mr Coinbuf, I appreciate it! And that's a beautiful penny! :-)