• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Need to Know about Bashlow Continental Dollar Restrikes

16 posts in this topic

Bashlow Continental Currency Dollar restrikes from the original dies and hubs from the famous Dickeson copy.

August 1962 Numismatic Scrapbook advertisement.

1161290-NumismaticScrapbookAdvertisement.jpg1161291-NumismaticScrapbookAdvertisementprices.jpg

Right on the heels of its enormously successful 2nd restrike of the CONFEDERATE CENT from Robert Lovett's original dies, the Robert Bashlow Company takes great satisfaction in announcing the final series of FIRST RESTRIKES of Dickeson's copy of the CONTINENTAL CURRENCY DOLLAR.

The original dies were prepared by M. S. Dickeson for the Centennial of American Independence in 1876. The historically significant Continental Currency Dollar, made from these dies, is mentioned on page 35 of the "Guidebood", and on page 12 of "Struck Copies of Early American Coins" by Richard D. Kenney--tesifying to the numismatic importance of this valuable issue.

Prior to Mr. Bashlow's purchase of the original Dickeson dies, 7200 specimens had been struck in pewter. The original owners have sold this entire issue. Now, avid collectors and investment-conscious dealers may purchase Dickeson's Continental Dollar in the three metals the Confederate Cent made famouse: SILVER, GOLDINE, AND BRONZE!

The August C. Frank Co. of Philadelphia has struck this entire issue with the same exacting precision and brilliant skill applied to Lovett's Confederate Cent. These Continental Currency Dollars are big, bold and impressive--the silver specimens have more silver than a silver dollar.

Authenticated reports have reached the Robert Bashlow Co., Inc. that the silver restrikes of the Confederate Cent (now completely sold out), first offered by us in January at $7.50, have ALREADY APPRECIATED to as much as $25.00 per restrike. The similarity to the Continental Currency Dollar is obvious. No additional restrikes of the Continental Currency Dollar can be made. The dies have already been donated to the Smithsonian Institution, as in the case of Lovett's original dies.

Note: The silver Continental Currency Dollars are distinguished by a small S on the reverse. We recommend prompt placement of orders to insure delivery, as the demand for these large coins is expected to be very heavy.

This is a restrike done in white metal not offered in the advertisement although some off metals were obviously struck:

1161267-1obv.jpg1161271-1rev.jpg

Silver restrike:

1161273-2obv.jpg1161274-2rev.jpg1161278-2revofS.jpg

Bronze:

1161281-3obv.jpg1161284-3rev.jpg

Goldine:

1161286-4obv.jpg1161288-4rev.jpg

I gave $200 for the set about 3 years ago.

Any Idea what the single coins sell for??
There are a bunch of these on the bay. The white metal version seems to be the most common for sale and has gone for between $18 and $45. There are a couple of bronze ones and I've seen a NGC encapsulated bronze go for around $32. There's also a goldine version on the bay now. It will be interesting to see where that ends up. I haven't seen any silver ones for sale yet.

That was the one I was looking for. I would say a couple hundread.
I agree with that estimate. A NGC slabbed white metal version just sold for $80 which I think is very high but the prices on SCDs can fluctuate wildly depending on who is bidding. I haven't seen a silver one for sale yet.

The interesting thing about these Bashlow restrikes is that they are restrikes of Dickeson's replica piece, not the original. And although Dickeson's pewter replica has bigger mintage than any of the individual Bashlow ones and I haven't seen a Dickeson pewter one yet either.

Like HK852-856 (the Bashlow restrikes) this is the restrike of the U.S. continental Currency, although in aluminum. This is a gem BU struck for the Boy Scouts of America and reads "6th Boy Scout Jamboree '64 and on the reverse it has a small "copy" inserted should the FBI feel that they needed to set up a perimeter and demand the surrender of the scouts for counterfeiting. Fortunately, no original aluminum pieces were known in the 18th century so the scouts were saved. It's a nice unlisted pieces, one that would certainly be in the next HK book when new medals are included.

63290.jpg.33256bc1c73afb34f35ff31ed529c548.jpg

63291.jpg.7a9bd55584daeb441a602b12dc58c404.jpg

I picked this up recently. Jeff Shevlin is a collector, researcher and author who specializes in "So Called Dollars". I liked that this particular coin came from his collection.

imagejpg1.jpg

I now have a Bashlow restrike, a BSA jamboree medal (NGC MS67), and original Bashlow letter / order form. They are all neat but the letter is the rarest one from what I've seen so far. When I saw it, I wanted to pick it up just so I could scan it in and share it with everyone :)

US-Bashlow_Continental-Dollar_Flyer_800x.png