• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What You Need to Know posts (or WYNK posts)

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The "What You Need To Know" (WYNK) posts are a member-driven initiative to write up detailed information about topics of importance in numismatics. This was started by Supertooth in conjunction with his friend CTcollector on 2/17/2006, and through their encouragement and the contributions of other talented members has grown into a nice resource.

These posts initially go up in the other areas of the boards so they get plenty of reads in the "mainstream", and some lively discussion. However, as they age they slip off the front page and get buried under newer posts. Since these posts are such an excellent source of information, we've begun archiving them here in this board where they can stand out a little more once they've finished their run on the main boards and have fallen into the back pages.

Arch, you're user friendly! I like the attention that you give to the boards. Great work! thumbsup2.gif

Hey Arch----I just got a PM from Oldtrader 3 ----Charlie----He was wondering why ALL of the WYNTK threads had not been placed together. Some are here while others are not. Is there a reason for all of them not being placed here? Thanks for your time. Bob [supertooth]

• Administrator

Basically, I try to give WYNK posts a good run in the place they were originally posted, so they get lots of attention, and can gather as many replies as they're going to get in their original place.

Every so often, I run a search and look for WYNK posts that haven't had any activity for over a month, and then move them to this board. If they've had replies more recently than a month, I leave them where they're at in case they're going to see more action.

One can verify a cert # for an NGC slab simply by entering the # in the cert

verification block on the NGC home webpage site without being a member. A

brief description of the coin denomination and the grade appears. However, no

picture appears. I assume a picture often appears if one is a Collector's society

member. It has been so long since I was a member I can't recall if a picture

appeared. Secondly, one can't access the census unless one is a member.

However, I don't possess any population in high value numbers so I am not too

concerned with skewed numbers by resubmisssions although I suppose MS62

may be skewed too.

Edited by slingshot

I like the posts offered on WYNTK. What are the trains of thoughts on buying at auction or through BIN from HA.com? I see these coins at auction

with the take 4 months to buy so one knows it is a Heritage owned coin. Does HA.com buy most of these coins from dealers or individuals who wish to sell to them? It struck me when an auction house not HA.com offered to buy my coins from me when they came back cleaned I thought it odd. Your train of thoughts. Is this conflict of interest or just normal business as usual without any big deal to it.?

Edited by slingshot

Heritage Auctions sells coins for third parties and they charge a 17.5% buyers premium (BP) for their service. Pretty standard fee for the auction houses. They do give coins upcoming for auction good visibility, especially rare ones so they are known to as many buyers as possible. It is in the sellers and Heritage's best interest to do this but I would in no way say this is a conflict of interest. I don't know if they sell anything from their own inventory as that would put them in the dealer category. Their site is a great source of information but with one nice coin and several strong buyers it can get expensive to source coins from them. If I see one I like I add the BP to the bid price as that will be your net cost to purchase it. Make sure you add the BP to your bid price as it is NOT included in the amount you offer. I just determine what I would pay for the coin and place the bid with the BP factored into my bid. Only got one coin but it was a nice one. If you contact the better wholesalers and are a repeat customer I feel you will be better off in the long run as these guys live off repeat clients to move inventory and stay in business and generally offer better deals. Finding a reputable one is critical.

I will say Heritage does get some very high end material but it is usually expensive. A good source for someone in a remote area that picks up nicer pieces that are tough to find. Hope this helps.

I am actually reading... and learning. hm

Thanks for all of the WYNTK threads.

I am actually reading... and learning. hm

Thanks for all of the WYNTK threads.

What are you doing here?

One can verify a cert # for an NGC slab simply by entering the # in the cert

verification block on the NGC home webpage site without being a member. A

brief description of the coin denomination and the grade appears. However, no

picture appears. I assume a picture often appears if one is a Collector's society

member. It has been so long since I was a member I can't recall if a picture

appeared. Secondly, one can't access the census unless one is a member.

However, I don't possess any population in high value numbers so I am not too

concerned with skewed numbers by resubmisssions although I suppose MS62

may be skewed too.

NGC started scanning coins that were submitted several years ago and once the

verification number is typed in, the coin and slab will show up. The scans are on

the dark side and it's difficult to gauge the eye appeal from the images. Coins

submitted prior to their scanning feature will not show an image but the same

info will show up.

The images are copyrighted!