• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 8TF - Unsure of Next Step - Help Needed

2 posts in this topic

I submitted a Morgan silver dollar 1878 8TF to NGC for grading and variety attribution. On line status indicates it is a VAM 17. Final status check indicates the coin is being returned ungraded because of "obverse spot removed".

My question - Is this something I can submit to NCS for help with and then resubmit to NGC for grading or not? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

I started submitting coins for grading this year and have not encountered this problem until now. I don't know what this means for my coin.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, more than likely professional conservation will not make your coin gradeable by NGC. "Obverse spot removed" is usualy referring to a mechanical means where metal of the coin was forceably removed. We would not be able to restore those surfaces. Most likely the best we would be able to do for your coin is to conserve any residues and/or undesirable toning to make the coin stable for long-term storage and place it into an NCS Details Grade holder.

Chris, NCS