• Announcements

• dena

Try the new NGC Journals!   03/22/2017

NGC has launched a new and improved NGC Journals! Available on NGCcoin.com, the new NGC Journals improves upon the popular platform to write blogs and discuss them with other members. The new NGC Journals has an improved design that makes it significantly easier to post and read journals from any device, including smartphones and tablets. Adding images has been made much simpler, and the NGC Journals now give users the ability to create polls and "like" other entries. A popular feature of the old NGC Journals was the ability to open an entry to comments from other users. This feature has been retained and enhanced — users can now comment on the same page as the original Journal entry, creating a seamless experience. Best of all, the same login can be used to post Journals, make comments and access the other features of the NGC website. Old NGC Journals entries will be migrated to the new NGC Journals soon. In the meantime, users can make posts to the new NGC Journals. To get started, create a Journal and make an entry. Unlike the old NGC Journals, you create a single Journal and then add new entries to it. Your Journal can be customized with a cover photo, and you can choose to make it available to all users or only to the users that you select. You can also choose to receive notifications whenever people comment on one of your entries. Scroll below for helpful tips on using the new NGC Journals or go to the new NGC Journals now >   Instructions / Tips To get started, you must first create your Journal and then you can add entries to that Journal. Choose Journals from the Browse menu if you are not already on the Journals page

Click Create a Journal

Name your journal, add a description, add a photo, and choose if you want all users to see your journal or if you would like it available to a specific audience only. Click Continue to move on to the next step where you can add you first entry!

Click Add Journal Entry to add a post to your journal

Commenting on another user's Journal is easy. After selecting a journal to read, scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find the field where you may enter your comments and see the comments others have posted.

What You Need to Know posts (WYNK posts)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

We've got a new board up that really deserves a look by ANYONE who hasn't seen it yet. It's an archive spot for the extremely valuable member-generated "What You Need To Know" posts.

Sharing of numismatic knowledge at its best.

WYNK Forum

Edited by Architecht

A-HA!

I think you're onto something here!

This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for - a single place where reference-type threads can be placed to be easily found. And I like the point you made about it being alphabetically sortable.

Are you going to move all the WYNK (What You Need to Know) threads there also?

I think it's fantastic!

James

A-HA!

I think you're onto something here!

This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for - a single place where reference-type threads can be placed to be easily found. And I like the point you made about it being alphabetically sortable.

Are you going to move all the WYNK (What You Need to Know) threads there also?

I think it's fantastic!

James

I think so, yeah. We'll see how it works out. The idea that people seemed to like was to let WYNTK posts have their full run in the main forum here, but after they've fallen way off of the radar, archive them centrally. The glossary forum seems an ok place for that, although it might need a minor re-name.

So I changed the name of the glossary board to put more emphasis on the WYNTK archive. How do you pronounce that anyway? Win Tee Kay?

Thoughts?

Oh maybe we leave the TO out?

WYNK... "wink" posts? wink.gif

Thanks, Arch.

Oh maybe we leave the TO out?

WYNK... "wink" posts? wink.gif

Face it Arch,no one gets your humor. wink.gif

My two cents - I'd prefer to have two forums - one for the glossary, one for WYNTK posts. Otherwise, the glossary entries would be split from A-W, then WYNTK, then W-Z. Besides, why make us sort through a (hopefully) ever-increasing amount of terms to get to the more meaty WYNTK posts?

Great idea. cool.gif

Thanks, Arch!

Edited by CarolinaCollector

I've gotten some feedback that combining the WYNK posts and the glossary detracts from the WYNK posts. I'm just looking for consensus on the best way to treat these gems. Anyone else feel this way?

I agree that the glossary takes away from the ease of use of a WYNTK archive and also the density of information that such an archive would contain.

Arch, if you're trying to condense the "Index", why can't you combine Ask NGC, Ask NCS & Ask PMG ? Anyone posting a question to this group could check a box to indicate the appropriate one.

By the way, I too, think WYNTK should be a separate category.

Chris

Edited by cpm9ball

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes.

Broken out to its own board.

Let the celebrations commence.

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Glad to see my suggestion met with approval.

Yay for Architecht! Celebration...initiated...

893applaud-thumb.gifyay.giftongue.gifflowerred.gifhi.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifhi.gifflowerred.gifangel.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifhail.gif

yay.gifheadbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893blahblah.gifhail.gifpopcorn.gifhi.gifyay.giflaugh.gifangel.gifgrin.gif

I was recently thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea to pin the new WYNTK posts at the top of their forum while they're being read/replied to prior to being moved to the WYNTK forum?

who could help me how to start new topics, as I can't find the link which forward

to start topics. thanks a lot

Hi & welcome, David. hi.gif Just open the forum in which you want to start a new thread and click the "post" button.

thank you very much for your prompt reply, I got it. now pls kindly teach me how to attach image to my topic, as the pictures which I want to display are located in my computer, but don't have their URL, what should I do. thank you in advance.

Great addition. I've been asking PCGS to do this for years but it fell on deaf ears. Their moderators are too busy sorting out the malcontents wink.gif

Hi all,

I am new to the boards, sort of new to collecting. I collected pennies as a kid, and now am in that position of having more disposable income to get back in to collecting.

I am reading everything I can find, and these forums are great sources of knowledge. However, I have *never* seen a hobby / industry with more acronyms. I worked for a defense contractor as an engineer for a while, so that's saying something. smile.gif

Has someone made a WYNK (heh) post listing definitions for all the acronyms? Not just big ones like TPG, but also slang terms like BB, etc.

Thanks,

Todd

Welcome to the boards Todd. You've come to the right place to learn about this great hobby. This place is filled with uber smart members. Any questions, they can answer in spades. laugh.gif

So who's currently working on a WYNTK post? We have a lot of new blood on the forums these days - someone's got to have a specialty they want to write about!

We've got a new board up that really deserves a look by ANYONE who hasn't seen it yet. It's an archive spot for the extremely valuable member-generated "What You Need To Know" posts.

Sharing of numismatic knowledge at its best.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=wyntk&page=0

Just started collecting & have found the info really helpful.! Keep up the good work..

Cherry Picker

Separate them for sure. Great idea Arch, as is usual. ;)

Arch, if you're trying to condense the "Index", why can't you combine Ask NGC, Ask NCS & Ask PMG ? Anyone posting a question to this group could check a box to indicate the appropriate one.

Chris

I just read this thread, and I think this is a great idea. I would also add the "Ask Numismedia" forum to the list, which I think was created after your post, Chris. Those forums are all so infrequently visited that for each of them to have a separate section is kind of ridiculous.