What You Need to Know posts (WYNK posts)
2 2

60 posts in this topic

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts

We've got a new board up that really deserves a look by ANYONE who hasn't seen it yet. It's an archive spot for the extremely valuable member-generated "What You Need To Know" posts.

Sharing of numismatic knowledge at its best.

WYNK Forum

Edited by Architecht

James_OldeTowne   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 15,660 posts

A-HA!

I think you're onto something here!

This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for - a single place where reference-type threads can be placed to be easily found. And I like the point you made about it being alphabetically sortable.

Are you going to move all the WYNK (What You Need to Know) threads there also?

I think it's fantastic!

James

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts
A-HA!

I think you're onto something here!

This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for - a single place where reference-type threads can be placed to be easily found. And I like the point you made about it being alphabetically sortable.

Are you going to move all the WYNK (What You Need to Know) threads there also?

I think it's fantastic!

James

I think so, yeah. We'll see how it works out. The idea that people seemed to like was to let WYNTK posts have their full run in the main forum here, but after they've fallen way off of the radar, archive them centrally. The glossary forum seems an ok place for that, although it might need a minor re-name.

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts

So I changed the name of the glossary board to put more emphasis on the WYNTK archive. How do you pronounce that anyway? Win Tee Kay?

Thoughts?

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts

Oh maybe we leave the TO out?

WYNK... "wink" posts? wink.gif

IGWT   
  • 2,969 posts

Thanks, Arch.

HaydenTubbs   
  • 3,978 posts
Oh maybe we leave the TO out?

WYNK... "wink" posts? wink.gif

Face it Arch,no one gets your humor. wink.gif

pendragon1998   
  • 3,423 posts

My two cents - I'd prefer to have two forums - one for the glossary, one for WYNTK posts. Otherwise, the glossary entries would be split from A-W, then WYNTK, then W-Z. Besides, why make us sort through a (hopefully) ever-increasing amount of terms to get to the more meaty WYNTK posts?

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts

I've gotten some feedback that combining the WYNK posts and the glossary detracts from the WYNK posts. I'm just looking for consensus on the best way to treat these gems. Anyone else feel this way?

TomB   
  • 11,425 posts

I agree that the glossary takes away from the ease of use of a WYNTK archive and also the density of information that such an archive would contain.

cpm9ball   
  • 14,311 posts

Arch, if you're trying to condense the "Index", why can't you combine Ask NGC, Ask NCS & Ask PMG ? Anyone posting a question to this group could check a box to indicate the appropriate one.

By the way, I too, think WYNTK should be a separate category.

Chris

Edited by cpm9ball

IGWT   
  • 2,969 posts
Anyone else feel this way?

Yes.

Architecht   
  • Administrator
  • 5,822 posts

Broken out to its own board.

Let the celebrations commence.

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

pendragon1998   
  • 3,423 posts

Glad to see my suggestion met with approval.

Yay for Architecht! Celebration...initiated...

893applaud-thumb.gifyay.giftongue.gifflowerred.gifhi.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifhi.gifflowerred.gifangel.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifhail.gif

yay.gifheadbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893blahblah.gifhail.gifpopcorn.gifhi.gifyay.giflaugh.gifangel.gifgrin.gif

pendragon1998   
  • 3,423 posts

I was recently thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea to pin the new WYNTK posts at the top of their forum while they're being read/replied to prior to being moved to the WYNTK forum?

IGWT   
  • 2,969 posts

Hi & welcome, David. hi.gif Just open the forum in which you want to start a new thread and click the "post" button.

davidtao   
  • 6 posts

thank you very much for your prompt reply, I got it. now pls kindly teach me how to attach image to my topic, as the pictures which I want to display are located in my computer, but don't have their URL, what should I do. thank you in advance.

shylock   
  • 131 posts

Great addition. I've been asking PCGS to do this for years but it fell on deaf ears. Their moderators are too busy sorting out the malcontents wink.gif

Todd L.-migration   
  • 5 posts

Hi all,

I am new to the boards, sort of new to collecting. I collected pennies as a kid, and now am in that position of having more disposable income to get back in to collecting.

I am reading everything I can find, and these forums are great sources of knowledge. However, I have *never* seen a hobby / industry with more acronyms. I worked for a defense contractor as an engineer for a while, so that's saying something. smile.gif

Has someone made a WYNK (heh) post listing definitions for all the acronyms? Not just big ones like TPG, but also slang terms like BB, etc.

Thanks,

Todd

robec1347   
  • 4,672 posts

Welcome to the boards Todd. You've come to the right place to learn about this great hobby. This place is filled with uber smart members. Any questions, they can answer in spades. laugh.gif

pendragon1998   
  • 3,423 posts

So who's currently working on a WYNTK post? We have a lot of new blood on the forums these days - someone's got to have a specialty they want to write about!

Cherry Picker-migration   
  • 14 posts
We've got a new board up that really deserves a look by ANYONE who hasn't seen it yet. It's an archive spot for the extremely valuable member-generated "What You Need To Know" posts.

Sharing of numismatic knowledge at its best.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=wyntk&page=0

Just started collecting & have found the info really helpful.! Keep up the good work..

Cherry Picker

jesbroken   
  • 3,467 posts

Separate them for sure. Great idea Arch, as is usual. ;)

physics-fan3.14   
  • 14,464 posts
Arch, if you're trying to condense the "Index", why can't you combine Ask NGC, Ask NCS & Ask PMG ? Anyone posting a question to this group could check a box to indicate the appropriate one.

Chris

I just read this thread, and I think this is a great idea. I would also add the "Ask Numismedia" forum to the list, which I think was created after your post, Chris. Those forums are all so infrequently visited that for each of them to have a separate section is kind of ridiculous.