• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Novel Idea

5 posts in this topic

David Lange in another thread: "Per request, the two-cent series now has three Registry options:

Currency strikes only

Proofs only

Currency and proof strikes combined "

I have to say I like this idea - the opportunity to return to the way our forefathers collected. Did Eliasberg or Norweb care if a coin was a proof or a circulation strike - heck no, they just wanted the nicest coin they could find from Philadelphia in 1877, for example.

Perhaps NGC should extend this option to all sets?????

The Complete Type Set already has a mixed eligibility for the coins, however, I don't think it is also broken down into "pure" sets. It seems like it wouldn't be too dificult to program in, I just wonder what the overall interest level is.

I have to say I like this idea - the opportunity to return to the way our forefathers collected.

You make it sound like some law has been repealed and we can finally collect the way we want to. God Bless America!! smile.gif

I honestly get the feeling that the registry affects the way you collect more than you would like to admit. Nothing wrong with that if you are happy, but...

Did Eliasberg or Norweb care if a coin was a proof or a circulation strike - heck no, they just wanted the nicest coin they could find from Philadelphia in 1877, for example.

They would have had they wanted to participate in the registry. smirk.gif They probably should have cared that one coin was a proof and one was a business strike. They are so different that maybe you shouldn't be able to substitute one for the other.

Perhaps NGC should extend this option to all sets?????

Isn't it kind of a "poorman's set"? Use whatever is easier/cheaper.

I truly find proof and business strike coins so different, that this seems like an odd premise to me: "the opportunity to return to the way our forefathers collected". Collecting is an evolving art. Besides, we still can collect that way, if we want. If someone cares to mix their proof and business strike coins, so be it! Should the registries all be structured that way? I'd say, "Why not have mixed sets?" Should it be a priority? I think that the sets should cover the series in total first.

Hoot

I have to say I like this idea - the opportunity to return to the way our forefathers collected. Did Eliasberg or Norweb care if a coin was a proof or a circulation strike - heck no, they just wanted the nicest coin they could find from Philadelphia in 1877, for example.

Ah, the deep dark secret of numismatics. Eliasberg didn't really own one of everything. laugh.gif