• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Female Collector Question

19 posts in this topic

For those of the female (true XX chromosomes only) persuasion, I have a question and it is not meant to be sexist (at least I don’t think it is):

When purchasing coins at shops/shows do you think you get treated any different because of that (gender)?

And for the guys; when selling coins to females, do you treat them any different than the males?

I know I seem to be more "generous" to women when selling/buying. Is that right? I dunno, maybe not in this PC world. I know I am also very easy when it comes to kids buying/selling coins.

TG

For those of the female (true XX chromosomes only) persuasion, I have a question and it is not meant to be sexist (at least I don’t think it is):

When purchasing coins at shops/shows do you think you get treated any different because of that (gender)?

I'm obviously not female, but I see them getting treated differently than other customers. Probably because there are so few female collectors that they don't know how to relate to them. Also because looking at the average coin dealer they haven't had any female company in years.

And for the guys; when selling coins to females, do you treat them any different than the males?

Yes. I send them nude photos of myself in the package. It helps with the repeat business.

Honestly, I try to treat them the same. The only people I treat differently are kids. I'll give them a lower price or throw in stuff or give it to them for free.

Good thing I'm not an "average coin dealer"! blush.gif

In my experience, there aren't that many women who walk the bourse floor alone or as the primary numismatist in a relationship. As far as I can tell, I don't treat anyone differently except, of course, for giving more to kids.

I have a question for female collectors...

How many females do you have?

Anyone who tries to collect more than one specimen at a time is a fool.

Unfortunately, the coin business is very male dominated. In my past experience, ladies are not treated with respect, especially at shows. The smaller mom and pop dealers are different, and,.in my opinion, tend to have more understanding for lady buyers and are actually much more courteous. Then there's the old redneck dealer who never moves from behind his showcase, to be avoided at all costs.

TRUTH

Also because looking at the average coin dealer they haven't had any female company in years.

grin.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gif

Made my day Greg!

Back on the topic, I have noticed a lot more of my coin auctions going to females. But I have never seen a female collector in a coin store, ever. However, I have known a few female coin store owners.

I have known a few female coin store owners.

Yep, I know one and she is as sharp as a tack when it comes to coins.

I like her cause she gives true grades and will explain this and that with NO attitude.

TG

Also because looking at the average coin dealer they haven't ad any female company in years.

893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gif893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Don't know what we are going to do now that VIP cloud9.gif is going 893whatthe.gif. Guess we'll have to do the comic book collector deal and start watching that new animated Stan Lee thing called Boobarella(?). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TG

PS I suppose I can always get back out a MS 65 1917 SLQ and fantasize about it!!! grin.gif

Then there's the old redneck dealer who never moves from behind his showcase, to be avoided at all costs.

Of course, 9 times out of 10, that redneck dealer won't talk to anyone, male or female, who dresses decently. Can't count how many times I've waited patiently at a dealer's table, being ignored, looking at a case where a nice coin is resting. Eventually, I leave the table, make a notation, and never do business with the dealer.

Yes. I send them nude photos of myself in the package. It helps with the repeat business.

WHERES MINE??????? You only sent me a Frankie!

WHERES MINE??????? You only sent me a Frankie!

I meant to send them to you. However, I put them in the wrong package and they went to PCGS instead. The next thing I know I am banned over there....

The Hepkitty struts around the store, gives a few winks... and the prices start just start dropping Daddy-o!

lucywink.gif

I have a question for female collectors...

How many females do you have?

Anyone who tries to collect more than one specimen at a time is a fool.

Fur sure.....you know how hard it is just to dig/maintain one hole to keep my "girlfriend" in? stooges.gif

PS yep she does look just like my mom to!!

I have to say that as a woman, I do think there are certain perceptions and assumptions made when I walk the floor or interact with dealers. First off, I'm a kid at 31 who still get's carded for a GreyGoose. No complaints there! When I make a purchase or ask to view a coin I'm not dragging noise making, candy eating, greasy fingerprint making children or husband with me! First stereotype down....I know what I like, and enjoy speaking with all kinds of people, and I am more than capable of buying my own coins. Some dealers still look a bit shocked when they figure out I don't need my husbands permission, or even his input to pull the trigger on a piece I must have.

The real question should be do women intentionally manipulate the male dealer? What if you happen to be a not-so attractive women? Do dealers look the other way? As "rarities" in the field ourselves, do we have an unfair advantage over of our male collecting counterparts?

There is a certain higher end dealer who fashions himself after a reptile. Now that guy, you can tell in a micro-second he's a push for pretty ladies. He does not hide it, he uses it to his advantage, and had made his beliefs well known. He borders on the sex sell coins thing...and you know what, it must work, because anyone who crosses the street knows who I am, referring to. This is not knock on him, he has great coins! Could a PlayBoy bunny get an extra grand off of one of his coins....I'd bet she could! So I would so that yes, some women will have an advantage, even if it is on a subconscious level with the majority of dealers. It happens all the time! wink.gif