• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, rrantique said:

Lee the older holder suggest it may have been graded before the FB designation was applied to grade?

This is plausibility in its raw state worthy of further investigation. 🔎 

On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, rrantique said:

Lee the older holder suggest it may have been graded before the FB designation was applied to grade?

Good info and observation there.  I'm not a Dime guy but I just researched your theory, out of curiously, as to when TPG's implemented the FB and FT designation.  Both NGC and PCGS started this designation in April of 2003.  I also read that NGC takes into account the vertical lines on the torch body as well as the bands themselves.  Maybe that's were it was very slightly lacking, on the vertical lines?  But then again, I am also not akin to the coin holders and which ones were used for a certain time frame or year period.  I've been meaning to educate myself on this topic regarding the holders as there seems to be a lot of discussion and feedback here on the forum regarding the topic of holders.  Thanks!  

Edited by GBrad

On 8/31/2021 at 1:27 AM, VKurtB said:

I’ve dated a few Catholic girls in my past. Ya pick up terms. “I do have a particular set of skills…”

And Doc Holliday said:  "Why Ike; what ever do you mean?"

:whatthe:

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:29 PM, Lem E said:

DSC_7945 (2)-tile.JPG

Very respectable grade!  (I wonder if they ever caught the guy that opened that bottle of Pepsi as this quarter was ejected from the die.)  😉 

@rocket23  Hey, rocket guy!  EF examples go for that much!  The very first coin I bought was from Stack's, in the 1960's.  (I know you heard this story before, but...) It was a 1909-S-VDB, BU, shiny brand-new, $200 + tax.  Wishing you all the best!

On 9/11/2021 at 1:40 PM, GBrad said:

I'm SO glad you were the last post before mine @Quintus Arrius, how fitting! I just received my 2020- (S) Silver Eagle-Emergency Issue ((( "BIG PARENTHESIS" Quintus!!! :))) I have now redeemed myself...... lol.  Couldn't be happier and I felt the price was very good as well.  

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

I like yours. This one's mine...milk spots on mine though...

994786-1.jpg

On 9/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, GBrad said:

shame about those spots,

@denali12...While most coins do not come from the mint with milk spots, it is believed that the root cause of milk spots is present at the mint, and time allows them to develop into a visible phenomena. Many collectors have revisited their ASE's after being stored for a period of time, only to find them with the dreaded milk spots.

Many collectors of modern coins have visited the subject of spots.

Can Someone explain an MS-70 coin with blemishes and milk spots? — Collectors Universe

Edited by Alex in PA.

Milk spots?  Already? :whatthe:

I predict before the year is out a sharp-eyed collector's son or daughter, with a bit more time on his or her hands, will discover an anomaly:  "Hey pop, I think there's a distinct difference between the '2021-(P)' and the '2021-(S)' [Emergency Issue] ASE's."

Just a feeling I've gotten.  It remains to be seen what that may be.  🐓 

On 9/16/2021 at 6:36 PM, Alex in PA. said:

@denali12...While most coins do not come from the mint with milk spots, it is believed that the root cause of milk spots is present at the mint, and time allows them to develop into a visible phenomena. Many collectors have revisited their ASE's after being stored for a period of time, only to find them with the dreaded milk spots.

Many collectors of modern coins have visited the subject of spots.

Can Someone explain an MS-70 coin with blemishes and milk spots? — Collectors Universe

That's a good link and a lot of info there Alex on all the posts from that forum's members.  Pretty long post but I skimmed over it and got the gist that there has yet to be found a 'cure' for milk spots.  Now that I have a few slabbed solid silver Dollar Coins, I too am wondering if or when they may develop these spots, hopefully never!  I keep mine in a safe with a tub of a product called "Damp Rid".  The stuff works great and saps every bit of moisture out of the air that you could imagine.  Hopefully this will keep my coins from developing any spots over time.  Seems like by now, with the technology we have at our fingertips....., that someone would have concocted a solution to this dreaded issue.  Thanks for sharing that link.  

I fail to understand why so-called "milk spots" persist in being an issue on the Forum since the first [primarily silver coin] rolled over the press at Philadelphia two hundred years ago.

Where do the all the  coin restorers and conservation experts stand on this with their cutting-edge technogy? When's the last time anyone even had the privilege of hearing or reading what the numismatists with experience on this have had the say on the subject since 1937.

We know what the composition of milk is and surely no self-respecting silver collector -- or mad scientist whose experiments on suitable examples on these, over time, should I lie able to provide a cure for this rather unremarkable, uncomplicated matter.

Why not copper, nickel, gold or those manganese dollars?  Why haven't I heard this phenomenon manifest itselfy on foreign coins, or have they?  Why haven't chemists been consulted?  I am going to stick my neck on on this one and ask a simple question: Is this, more often that not, seen on raw, composite or encapsulated coins? Maybe this is a verboten subject?  Knowing this may be a verboten subject and could very well return mutate into a litigious, class action lawsuit.  I will quit while I am ahead.  I believe there is more to this than meets the eye.  And, should I mysteriously disappear one day, don't be afraid to assume these four letter words -- milk & spot -- may have had something to do with it!  😉  

On 9/18/2021 at 12:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Maybe this is a verboten subject?  Knowing this may be a verboten subject..............

For those of you who have limitations on your vernacular such as I, here's this:

ver·bo·ten

adjective

adjective: verboten

1. forbidden, especially by an authority."bank fishing is verboten on Strathbeg"
  2. :makepoint:
  3. :baiting:
  4. :bigsmile:
Edited by GBrad

On 9/18/2021 at 11:11 AM, Woods020 said:

I have complained before that more higher end coins never seem to be for sale on the marketplace between collectors. Well @Coinbuf was gracious enough to notify me of a nice 2 cent proof on the PCGS forum marketplace. I ended up getting if for what I think is a very reasonable price compared to auction results. 

PF65+ / CAC (green bean). 

F6F4F02E-7799-4678-B80E-36F336EAA6B5.jpeg es

Gorgeous piece, one's young children can be fascinated with since, try as they might, they can't find any in change.  Plus, that's a very respectable grade!

On 9/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, Woods020 said:

I have complained before that more higher end coins never seem to be for sale on the marketplace between collectors. Well @Coinbuf was gracious enough to notify me of a nice 2 cent proof on the PCGS forum marketplace. I ended up getting if for what I think is a very reasonable price compared to auction results. 

PF65+ CAM / CAC (green bean). 

Awesome that it worked out for you, your type set just gets better and better!

On 9/17/2021 at 12:30 PM, GBrad said:

I too am wondering if or when they may develop these spots

I have a mint tube of ASE's I bought several years ago and haven't looked at in a long time.  Bet I got some with spots even though I store everything with Desiccant packets.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:34 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I have a mint tube of ASE's I bought several years ago and haven't looked at in a long time.  Bet I got some with spots even though I store everything with Desiccant packets.

Oh yeah.....ASE's spot up like nobody's business with pretty much no provocation whatsoever.  It's like zinc rot on Zincolns.......it's pretty much an inevitability. 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, GBrad said:

Well, my little girl strikes again and touched my heart where it counts.  I think at 11 years old, she may be the next numismatist in my household, I'm loving it.  I was scrolling through some coin and precious metal dealer's websites yesterday and she was right there with me looking at all the cool bullion and silver rounds that are out there now. Of course..... being a HORSE LOVING FANATIC of a little girl (she will always be my little girl!!!!) this one silver round just happened to show up while her gaze was fixed on all the cool and different designs that are available these days.  So....... she say's, "Daddy..... I would love to have 'that 'one.....".  What does a loving father do???? I think you all know the answer on that one..... Should be here in a week or so. 

Image 9-18-21 at 2.00 PM.jpg

Image 9-18-21 at 2.00 PM (1).jpg

You better hope it’s the horse and not the rider she wants. 

I have bought one of almost every Silver Eagle the mint has offered from the start of the program. None of them have gained milk spots. The possible reason for that is that I never remove them from the capsule they come in. I store them away from all the other mint packaging. More and more, I believe that changing holders just creates problems. 

Blanket statement sure to rile up the Alex in PA which resides in us all...

The primary cause of what numismatists commonly refer to as "milk spots," has been known to man since the dawn of civilization millennia ago.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, ldhair said:

I have bought one of almost every Silver Eagle the mint has offered from the start of the program. None of them have gained milk spots. The possible reason for that is that I never remove them from the capsule they come in. I store them away from all the other mint packaging. More and more, I believe that changing holders just creates problems. 

I don't think this has been a widespread issue on the numismatic versions (i.e. proofs, burnished, etc.) but primarily on the bullion versions which are commonly stored in tubes etc.  I know I have bought rolls in the past and on occasion milk spots have developed, while I've never seen them on any of the proofs or other collector versions purchased from the mint.

On 10/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I needed a T1 for my Type Set.  This one is PCGS MS65.  I just loved the original skin and color on this coin.

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

"....original skin and color of this coin?"  As opposed to what?  What is the "original skin and color of this coin" supposed to be?