• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 7:52 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

Luv the Merc, just enough smattering of toning  to highlight the rest of the obverse. 👍

Me too. The only Merc I believe I still have is also dated 1937 circulated, raw and keeping the only Walker I have, also 1937 circulated, raw from the San Francisco branch mint, company, in a kitchen drawer. Great stuff!  👏 In my mind, I see the latter crossing the Golden Gate, same year of its opening. Coins do that. Forming inextricable links to the past.  Maybe your Merc, fresh off the press, was a witness to that Hindenburg disaster? One never knows. 🤔

On 8/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, Lem E said:

2C159D8D-6845-46D6-A92D-603FA91DD2A6.jpeg

9E43BC07-153B-4D4C-A0B6-5150F5586FAF.jpeg

8DDAA149-2DE5-4002-A203-149A20596565.jpeg

That's a nice one Lem!!  My fiancée likes Barbers quite a bit, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them as a result.  That's a great pickup!! Thanks for sharing it!

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/17/2021 at 10:44 PM, Mohawk said:

That's a nice one Lem!!  My fiancée likes Barbers quite a bit, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them as a result.  That's a great pickup!! Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you sir. My collection has branched out all over the place here lately. I just pick up what appeals to me. There is no rhyme or reason anymore. (shrug)

On 8/18/2021 at 12:31 AM, Lem E said:

Thank you sir. My collection has branched out all over the place here lately. I just pick up what appeals to me. There is no rhyme or reason anymore. (shrug)

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!!! If you're having fun, buying good coins and enjoying your coins, you're doing it right :)

@Woods020 That's the great thing about Mint State stuff: you have a baseline; you know what to look for. I owned a Barber dime once. A rare 1894-O that was very badly worn and to add insult to injury had a series of marks deep across the obverse such as a pizza 🍕cutter would make. The Red Book then (1963?) put the value, otherwise Fair-Good, at $25-30.  Remember it like it was yesterday. It was sold to me for ten cents.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

That is truly a beauty Leme!

Thanks, and nice pick up on the Walker yourself. Good looking piece.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:28 PM, Lem E said:

I like to buy in clumps. This one blew the budget. Might be a minute for the next one.

I can completely understand that. Shame we don’t have unlimited funds for coins and all the time in the world to find them. But what you do buy is quality. I’d take one quality coin over 100 commons any day. And if you ever sell you’ll be glad you bought quality too. You have to be on the leaderboard of some of the Jefferson registries 

@GBrad. This is highly irregular but @VKurtB must have seen something that warranted his no-axe-to grind, third-party intervention. Personally, there is a great argument to be made for Mint-State 63 acquisitions -- of a coin he is not even known to actively collect.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GBrad. This is highly irregular but @VKurtB must have seen something that warranted his no-axe-to grind, third-party intervention. Personally, there is a great argument to be made for Mint-State 63 acquisitions -- of a coin he is not even known to actively collect.

Not sure QA. All I know is VKurt was overly accommodating to me and he is obviously lightyears ahead of me in numismatic knowledge even regarding a denomination he may not specialize in, I don’t know. What I do know is that he helped me out. What I purchased was VERY inexpensive, fit my budget (which is pretty much nil..) and I believe he thought I did pretty good for my first time buying some “middle of the road” Morgan’s. I explained to him “I just wanted some graded Morgans…. Just to have so that I could further my knowledge about grading “with coin in hand” as opposed to looking at pics online” and I am very appreciative of his involvement in my transaction. Maybe he did see something, don’t know. Had a great time searching through one of the hundreds of dealers albums looking at some pretty incredible raw Lincoln’s. Bought several 43’ steelies which, if I’m correct, should punch out in the upper MS grades. And the best thing is they were ridiculously inexpensive. Also acquired an SMS Jefferson set (individually picked) from 1965,66, and 67 which I am pretty excited about as well. They are absolutely beautiful. 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GBrad  No finer endorsement of admirable unsolicited advice has ever appeared on this Forum. Kudos to our @VKurtB for jumping in to advise a fellow collector!

Man, I love this place!  Most encouraging development I've heard of since I joined as a member.  This is coin collecting's finest hour!