• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,887 posts in this topic

Use a magnifier, and look at the lettering and date.  They look machined.  The toning is all wrong.  Also, compare your coin with a known genuine coin of the same date (check the redbook), and you will notice that there are a lot of little differences.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Bought this for one of my year sets from @Six Mile Rick through the BST here, not the greatest pics but will do for now.  Moved my set form #9 to #7, maybe a set I can finish in 2020.

1958dt-Comp.jpg

I told you she was a BEAUTY!!  :)

20 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

I told you she was a BEAUTY!!  :)

It really is, I struggle with pics of luster bomb coins like this so I will probably send this one with some others off to Mark for some proper pics.  She has a nice comfy new home for some time to come.  :smile: 

Again nothing special, but a scarce transition variety - Obverse I (1892-1900) on a 1901-O dime - and an as-yet undocumented RPD. I've only seen one other decent example for sale in the past year, and the other was $3000. :) More junk from me, but hey, it's a "most recent acquisition", and everybody loves pictures.

1901-O_Obv1_RPD.jpg

1901-O_Obv1_RPD_zoom.jpg

11 hours ago, Zaid Al Meleihi said:

recently purchased these !

60acb973-b45d-4270-af07-5f2256817e01.jpg

b109fb10-85df-4d79-9cbb-9c65f7c3506f.jpg

Sorry, I'm a bit suspicious of the gold, particularly the $20. Perhaps it's just the images, but 1895 looks off - the 5 is way too close to the 9, the tip of the 5 should be pointed and curve upwards and yours looks squared off, the ovals inside 8 and 9 should be very elongated and yours look round, the stars should be pointed and chiseled/beveled, etc. Maybe you should post a separate topic and get better opinions than mine.

5 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Sorry, I'm a bit suspicious of the gold, particularly the $20. Perhaps it's just the images, but 1895 looks off - the 5 is way too close to the 9, the tip of the 5 should be pointed and curve upwards and yours looks squared off, the ovals inside 8 and 9 should be very elongated and yours look round, the stars should be pointed and chiseled/beveled, etc. Maybe you should post a separate topic and get better opinions than mine.

Thank you for your opinion I have just started collecting coins and I want to get insights from people who are perhaps more experienced in this field than I am. What topic do you recommend I post in? Regards.

I found this while searching through a box. Not valuable or sought after, but an interesting piece for the collection, nonetheless!

Penny(1).thumb.jpeg.fb8e3749cb15770b6a21e70fb17a28bc.jpegpeny(1).jpeg.4d52dca857b3c89aedf1fe70ab69f426.jpeg
The stamp seems to be of the Confederate battle flag. Also noticed that 1961 is the centennial of the Confederate States, not sure whether that's coincidence or not.
Edited by Wheelndeal
Pictures turned to links, replaced with pictures

Great coins everybody! I love seeing/hearing about other people's finds. I found this on eBay. 1871 Bold N. Based on the images from the listing, I'd guess it to be FR-2 because it seems to have been damaged much more so than worn.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I wouldn't post this normally, but it's the 55th date in my Flying Eagle/Indian Head collection! Just three more, 1877, 1908-S, and 1909-S. (Not including 1856, that's out of my price range) All of the coins in this collection are between PO and VG, condition shmondition!:ohnoez:Definitely going to get 1908-S next, as it is the cheapest of the three. Currently have my eye on one on eBay (where probably half of my entire collection comes from! :nyah:) that's only $43. I hope to finish this collection before 2021! Shouldn't be too hard, but $600+ for two coins is a lot for me.

Edited by Wheelndeal

The 1901-S and 1903-S Barber dimes with Reverse 3 (the "thick ribbon") are tough to find in any grade, and finding decent examples that wouldn't break my bank was a long process. Then I landed on both from the same seller! Two coins left to complete my set of the scarcer design transition varieties.

1901-S_Type3_resize.jpg

1903-S_Type3_resize.jpg

19 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

When you complete this set, are you planning to do a display at a coin show?

Like, go on a promotional tour? :roflmao:I might put them all in one post on here at some point and that would probably be the extent of it. It's a numismatic story filled with mystery and intrigue <sarcasm>. 

Bought this on eBay. (where else? lol) 1908 S Indian Head Cent. It seems worn out of shape, which probably explains the low price. Seems to be a reliable seller, I doubt that it's counterfeit- nobody would counterfeit a coin in such a bad condition, right? Just two more to go until the collection's complete!

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg