• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

Not my highest grade for the date and MM. By judging the pictures, I felt this had nicely mirrored fields and very clean devices for a MS63, so I bought it. I have the coin in hand, and am pleased with the purchase.

153793.jpg.7869c1765c7c803a2face71b3e1a6eb9.jpg

153794.jpg.331c479e5a3c2c53695ddb048244301e.jpg

Did that 1878-S come from Heritage? I think I remember that one. Looks like a 64PL from the pictures.

Yes it did. I thought the same about it being a 64. I'm going to keep it as is.

Hello Everybody,

I just joined the NGC Society today, I have been collecting coins for only 6 years (only the last 2 somewhat seriously), after some coins were given to me by my grandfather before he passed away. I have a question for everybody, one of those coins given to me is a 1892-S Morgan Silver Dollar, it is in a clear little plastic "flippy" case. It appears to be in very good condition. However, there seems to be an oil my grandfather put on it and the other coins in their individual cases, to keep it pretty from the humidity I suppose. I know you should NOT clean the coins, however it appears there is some black gunk in the oil. So should I pull the coin out and dab it with a soft cotton cloth? Any ideas anybody on what it may be worth?

Respectfully,

-Doc

Welcome Doc.

You might want to post this in the Numismatic General section as you are likely to get better advice.

Yes you are correct. Do not clean it.

When you post your new thread in Numismatic General section try to include a photo so we can tell if it is toning (tarnish/patina) or possibly PVC damage.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes. Perhaps a stupid question, I have a photo of the coin on my computer, but I can't find the attach photo button. I press "enter an image" and it asks for a website... Any advice on how to get the image put up?

-Doc

You can only attache very small images (200k or below) to the thread. Nearly all images on this forum are hosted on sites like PhotoBucket, Google, etc...

When creating a thread use the "Switch To Full Reply Screen" button on the bottom right side. Then you will see a icon to embed your link address for your photo (that you shared), click that, add the address, and hopefully everything works. If not there is a thread around here that is aimed at using PhotoBucket which gives step by step instructions.

Welcome, Doc.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandfather. As with you, my Grandfather

left me with his collection as well.

My first suggestion : remove all your coins from those flips. They are made of PVC.

One of the reasons you find your coins slippery is actually caused by the film PVC

leaves on coins. You must remove the film of PVC ASAP before it etches your coins.

A quick dip in acetone and a through rinse in cold water should do the trick. Use a

cotton ball to blot the excess water off the coin...do not let the coin air dry as spots

could be left behind. ( Blot ... Do NOT wipe )

The 1892-S Morgan looks as if the Reverse was cleaned - I see lots of hairlines.

( Hairlines caused by wiping the coin with an abrasive ). The surfaces are very

fragile and show any mishandling you unintentionally give it. So, be careful.

Have fun with your new hobby, it's what it's all about, having fun.

Love that 1856-O.

(thumbs u

An addition to my birth year proof set which kicks me up to #7 all time I believe:

1957_Jefferson_Nickel_PR67_StarB.jpg

Is that trick photography? How could that have not at least received Cameo?

Very nice Jefferson Lee.

Thank you.

That's a good guess Bill.

Purchased from rick tomaska coins on eBay. Looks like diffused lighting with a little something, something added.

Regardless, its a nice addition to my 1957 birth year proof set.

:)

Is that trick photography? How could that have not at least received Cameo?

Very nice Jefferson Lee.

Great Jefferson Lee :applause: (thumbs u

Just picked this one up from the post office this morning, my first in an old PCGS rattler, still a pretty coin (my phone photos are not working) from the Eastern Collection.

153906.jpg.5e718b7dae128e092ad9922b11d75181.jpg

153907.jpg.5f0aeaf1db01cf0e88016e382a885da7.jpg