• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

That's a swell 1916 SLQ! I got this one in the mail today, for once I didn't have this die marriage already, it's an O-115, R3 graded VF-35 by PCGS. Still has some nice luster remaining in the protected areas and some really neat die cracks on the reverse, including one through "MERICA" that leaves a lump protruding from the R.

167794.jpg.4437bd1ecd044da44f738d7076556109.jpg

167795.jpg.3f7bf62324a7e15afe2d894f3ada19d4.jpg

Hi,

So I'm more of a comic collector and an active CGC member, but I received a cool coin from my father-in-law and wanted to share.  It's not often I get to wander over here, so here goes nothing:

Heads_zpsodohvdhj.jpg

Tails_zpseva2g2r6.jpg

Question though ~ My father-in-law has probably owned this for 20+ years, so has a lot changed in that time.  I assume a MS64 should be the same regardless of when it was graded, but is there anything I need to think about in more recent times?  Not sure my photos do it justice, but it seems like a nice strike to me (though I admit that I don't quite know what to look for :) ).  I could try some other picture angles/lighting if it would help.

Also, any idea what the stickers mean on the back?

Anyway, thanks for letting me join in the fun over here.  Glad I finally have a reason to venture over!

That's great looking Buff in a old NGC fatty.  The stickers on the back were probably put on by the person who sold the coin to father-in-law.  Personal preference I would remove them and get the old glue off of it.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:29 PM, jtryka said:

Well here's one that will impress you, I think it's an 1818, but I can't be positive, but for a sawbuck I can't complain! Found it at the local coin club meeting tonight.

167383.jpg.3f8c5df120303aba081bf239e535d4db.jpg

167384.jpg.396468f954e24ba56c059c304f9f7c30.jpg

Definitely 18..  I zoomed in as far as I could, but could not see anything.   Very interesting.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:58 PM, Silverman999 said:

Definitely 18..  I zoomed in as far as I could, but could not see anything.   Very interesting.

Well, having looked at it in hand, I can see 181, so it's either 1815, 1818 or 1819, so to be safe I just assume it's the most common which is an 1818.  Not sure if there are any Bust quarter folks that might offer any clues based on the reverse which has a bit more detail than the obverse.