• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, Woods020 said:

Today’s haul. I ran across an older collector that has truly boggled my mind. He is more of a coin hoarder than anything. Anyway he showed me some of his stuff today, and I was able to talk him into selling me a few. I got these mercs, a few raw early Jefferson’s with full steps he let me cherry pick, a 16 and 17 raw mercs with full bands, and a couple buffalos in great condition but common years. I paid up today and probably paid him more than he was expecting, but I wanted to be fair to him and show good faith to see the rest of it. When I left he said give him a week to round things up and get some stuff out of the safety deposit box and I could come back. He also has boxes and boxes of BU rolls from the 30s-60s I am dying to get a better look at. As coinbuf told me, you run into some interesting people in this hobby (good interesting). And it scares me when I see stuff like his because it makes you wonder what’s out there. What is stuck in these old timer collectors boxes? What is rare may one day not be rare. Someone somewhere may have rolls of them stuffed away. 

4CCEC8DF-D06A-4386-9636-3C59AD15CE11.jpeg

Congratulations!! I'd love to run into someone like that. Maybe one day! 

@leeg  Firstly, thanks for shelving that intimidating avatar.  Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the same way they recently changed Verrazzano's name by correcting the spelling, regardless the cost, the city of Cleveland can best honor Moses Cleaveland by correcting the spelling of his name.  Nice coin!

P.S.  I have some thoughts on mispronunciations, but that's another issue for another time and place.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@leeg  Firstly, thanks for shelving that intimidating avatar.  Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the same way they recently changed Verrazzano's name by correcting the spelling, regardless the cost, the city of Cleveland can best honor Moses Cleaveland by correcting the spelling of his name.  Nice coin!

P.S.  I have some thoughts on mispronunciations, but that's another issue for another time and place.

Thanks on the kind words on my NEWP. It's an NGC MS-63, huh? Very few folks know about the spelling issue. I agree that errors of this type should be fixed.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Woods020 said:

Today’s haul. I ran across an older collector that has truly boggled my mind. He is more of a coin hoarder than anything. Anyway he showed me some of his stuff today, and I was able to talk him into selling me a few. I got these mercs, a few raw early Jefferson’s with full steps he let me cherry pick, a 16 and 17 raw mercs with full bands, and a couple buffalos in great condition but common years. I paid up today and probably paid him more than he was expecting, but I wanted to be fair to him and show good faith to see the rest of it. When I left he said give him a week to round things up and get some stuff out of the safety deposit box and I could come back. He also has boxes and boxes of BU rolls from the 30s-60s I am dying to get a better look at. As coinbuf told me, you run into some interesting people in this hobby (good interesting). And it scares me when I see stuff like his because it makes you wonder what’s out there. What is stuck in these old timer collectors boxes? What is rare may one day not be rare. Someone somewhere may have rolls of them stuffed away. 

4CCEC8DF-D06A-4386-9636-3C59AD15CE11.jpeg

Super group of old holders, love the 38-D gen 2.1 holder.  :golfclap:<3

On 7/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

Super group of old holders, love the 38-D gen 2.1 holder.  :golfclap:<3

This guy has a lot of old holders I had not seen in person before. A ton of SEGS I saw. I talked to him today and he said give him the weekend to round his stuff up. I’m supposed to call him Monday to schedule a much more thorough viewing. I’m like a kid at Christmas. 

Ok guys, if I can get this for $30 would you? A little concerned about two thing.

why is the grade covered up?

ive never seen toning flake off.

who the heck is National numismatic certification?

quickly please I’m about to win. Thanks in advance.

F17B419B-C717-4690-A046-25306FDA1D6D.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Typo

On 7/31/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Ok guys, if I can get this for $30 would you? A little concerned about two thing.

why is the grade covered up?

ive never seen toning flake off.

who the heck is National numismatic certification?

quickly please I’m about to win. Thanks in advance.

F17B419B-C717-4690-A046-25306FDA1D6D.jpeg

I would say it’s AT if that matters to you.

If that NNC 93 Eagle is on EBay, most likely they covered the grade to comply with ebays policy that only you can only say a coin is certified to be a certain grade if it is in NGC or PCGS (maybe ANACS too, I forget). So, if people want to sell generic slabs they aren’t supposed to show the grade. They did this because NNC and other generics were saying everything was a 70 and enough people complained that eBay agreed it was fraud and they took that action. It was a big victory

if this isn’t on eBay, then never mind 🌞

Edited by Mr_Spud

On 7/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, Mr_Spud said:

They did this because NNC and other generics were saying everything was a 70 and enough people complained that eBay agreed it was fraud and they took that action. It was a big victory

Not saying the lower knockoff grading companies were complete garbage some were okay and some weren’t , I believe it was more of market thing between PCGS and NGC and ANACS as well to knock out the lower grading companies from starting up and selling coins on eBay showing the grade it is true they graded a lot of coins over grade again I also see a lot PCGS and NGC modern coins with 70 grades alot more than I used to see .I believe it being awarded too greatly (actually over used now a days ) across all grading companies. Perhaps these coins are truly perfect 70’s but on a “average day” at the grading company PCGS or NGC will say it’s a typical 69! Otherwise it’s pretty easy to find a PCGS and NGC 70 graded ASE thanks to registries that’s only reason that coin got that grade in first place otherwise to a naked eye it’s exactly the same as 69 not single difference at all other than a large price gap ! 

On 8/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, Lem E said:

Been a while since my last purchase. 2 newps for the collection. I must have a thing for 1944 Ds. This is #4.

523D3068-0CEF-488E-8F48-3A31A19841EB.jpeg

D5AFEFC2-7A3A-450B-B48B-7ECB9873C960.jpeg

7132544E-C164-42DF-9A05-BFC5854BD7EC.jpeg

37D0DB0F-A4FE-44D2-89CA-0A94F5AA4DA7.jpeg

Not quite as nice as that other Jefferson you were looking at on eBay, but not too shabby. Very nice coins 

As much as it hurt to let that other one go, I think I’m ok with this one. Apparently I am also starting a toner Washington set. I’ll never complete anything. (thumbsu

On 8/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, Lem E said:

Been a while since my last purchase. 2 newps for the collection. I must have a thing for 1944 Ds. This is #4.

I feel you on the dups, I have 4 1909 Lincolns and 3 1909 VDB Lincolns in varying grades and colors.   Something about that first date in the series that I really like. (shrug)