• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

. It is very interesting reading about all the work they had to do to mint coins back in those days. Those old boys put in some hard days.

I read on Wikipedia they worked over 70 hours a week with one short meal/break, one day off.. Sunday.

Work then I'd imagine had a whole different meaning.....

2 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I read on Wikipedia they worked over 70 hours a week with one short meal/break, one day off.. Sunday.

Work then I'd imagine had a whole different meaning.....

@RWB has a very cool book that goes into alot of details of the work conditions they went through. It is a very awesome and interesting book. I loved reading it. It's called, " From Mine to Mint." They worked under dangerous conditions also. I highly recommend that book if you like reading about that kind of history. It made me appreciate coins more and look at them a different way than I used to. Those engineers and other workers were very intelligent and came up with amazing machines to help with the minting process. The workers sure earned they're money in those times. His book also inspired me to buy the Morgan dollar I posted above. 

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

His book also inspired me to buy the Morgan dollar I posted above. 

That's how I felt after reading the one Roger wrote with the Reverse of the walking liberty half dollar on it, about Proof coins and more. I screen shot your Morgan reverse and was looking at it close up...

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I didn't own any Barber quarters so I went ahead and bidded on this one. It's pretty worn and only graded F12  but I got a super good deal on it. I like these Barber designs and one of these days I'd love to add one or two mint state coins to my collection but this will have to do for now. I got a few dimes and a couple half dollars that are not graded, also not in good enough condition for having authenticated, but this is my first quarter.Polish_20210620_142437549.jpg.befc3b4e0e72b6be607cb39387c22144.jpgPolish_20210620_142520327.jpg.20a7be71f95280379e0ee079b8634acb.jpg

You can see the words and it almost has a kinda circulated cameo to it...solid mintmark !!

1 minute ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Screenshot_20210619-092036.png

Very nice. I'd love to add one of those to the collection one of these days. They have a pretty hefty price tag on them. I had several I collected over the years. Looked through them and no wounded eagles. 

14 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice. I'd love to add one of those to the collection one of these days. They have a pretty hefty price tag on them. I had several I collected over the years. Looked through them and no wounded eagles. 

Here's the story...when I found out they existed I wanted one and it's a weird thing I got like a ms62 that was nasty looking and I upgraded twice to this and I'm satisfied with it very much it's a ms66..

1 hour ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Screenshot_20210623-190458.png

Screenshot_20210623-190552.png

Very lovely; it's too bad the 🕷 specimen dated a year earlier as showcased by a long-time threadmaster elsewhere turned out to be certified counterfeit.

37 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

That is an attractive seated dollar @Walkerfan were you looking for one or did you just find each other. ;)

I've wanted a Seated Dollar for years.  A friend of mine picked up an early-date AU example, which kind of lit a fire within me again. 

Shortly thereafter; I started looking at them and I found my first---an 1873.  That kind of got the ball rolling, as I have always appreciated the history, design, scarcity and large size of these earlier dollars. 

To answer your question---YES, had been looking for an 1860-O for a while after picking up the 1873.  I like that it's pre-Civil War and from New Orleans.  The only other coins minted in NOLA for this series are the 1846-O, 1850-O and 1859-O, so there's not a whole lot of them.  

If I see any more nice Seated Dollars; I'll probably keep buying them BUT, I am PICKY, so I take my time and search for the 'RIGHT' examples.   

I do that with EVERYTHING, though.  ;)  It's just tougher with Seated dollars, because the pops are relatively low compared with other series that I collect, so there's not as much opportunity (Early Walkers are, of course, the exception, as they are quite SCARCE).  

Edited by Walkerfan

Nice, I am a big fan of the seated design of all denominations.  I only have some type pieces as most are rather pricey in the AU and BU grades, and it is indeed difficult to find nice unmessed with coins.

9 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

I've wanted a Seated Dollar for years.  A friend of mine picked up an early-date AU example, which kind of lit a fire within me again. 

Shortly thereafter; I started looking at them and I found my first---an 1873.  That kind of got the ball rolling, as I have always appreciated the history, design, scarcity and large size of these earlier dollars. 

To answer your question---YES, had been looking for an 1860-O for a while after picking up the 1873.  I like that it's pre-Civil War and from New Orleans.  The only other coins minted in NOLA for this series are the 1846-O, 1850-O and 1859-O, so there's not a whole lot of them.  

If I see any more nice Seated Dollars; I'll probably keep buying them BUT, I am PICKY, so I take my time and search for the 'RIGHT' examples.   

I do that with EVERYTHING, though.  ;)  It's just tougher with Seated dollars, because the pops are relatively low compared with other series that I collect, so there's not as much opportunity (Early Walkers are, of course, the exception, as they are quite SCARCE).  

Very nice. I currently don't own any nice seated coins. I got a couple dimes in Very rough shape. I've really been wanting to add one to my collection. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to add one as lovely as that one. Very nice my good friend. 

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice. I currently don't own any nice seated coins. I got a couple dimes in Very rough shape. I've really been wanting to add one to my collection. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to add one as lovely as that one. Very nice my good friend. 

Don't worry.  You'll get there.  That's the same way that I started out.  ;)  Thank You, my friend,  :) 

4 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

Don't worry.  You'll get there.  That's the same way that I started out.  ;)  Thank You, my friend,  :) 

That's awesome. Glad you got you a dandy. That's one to be proud of. Thanks for the encouraging words. One of these days when I do get one I'll remember back on this post. 

I have been looking at Seated L’s, but there is junk mostly out there. You were very lucky to find this beautiful 65 out there, do you mind telling us, in general what it cost you? Like $$, $$$, $$$$ 

thanks

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Mispelling

12 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Nice going Hoghead! I think 65 is excellent for this guy!  My 1887/6 only got a vf35 but did get Vam-2 Top 100

AA90C910-B86E-4A8B-824E-0BBAFE1CB2AA.jpeg

That's awsome. I been looking at those. Would love to get one one of these days. Nice one.