• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago from a member on the PCGS forum, just the quick slab shots that he sent me as I have not had time to attempt to get any new photos yet myself.

15-D.jpg

15-D2.jpg

hows it going coinbuf.  i dont do lincoln cents but this is absolutely beautiful.  i really like the depth of the color.  as stated, im no abe lincoln but what is keeping this from being a 64 or 65??  if we were doing the guess the grade my answer would have been 65 (wrong again)  everyone please advise or is this just undergraded bigtime??

59 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

No just a nick that the light caught perfectly which really makes it standout.   It does indeed have some blue tone to it, these dark brown coins that have some colors are very tricky.   You really need a good light source to bring out the colors, this is the fifth dark brown Lincoln that I have that has some of those electric colors under the light.

I've seen some people who don't like that dark brown. Personally myself I love that natural dark color those old cents turn. Gives them a beautiful look and that coin is a perfect example. Very nice. :golfclap:

13 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

hows it going coinbuf.  i dont do lincoln cents but this is absolutely beautiful.  i really like the depth of the color.  as stated, im no abe lincoln but what is keeping this from being a 64 or 65??  if we were doing the guess the grade my answer would have been 65 (wrong again)  everyone please advise or is this just undergraded bigtime??

Its really a little of both, this was style of holder was used by ANACS back in the time frame of 1996 to 1999.   Grading was a bit different back then and sometimes these dark brown to almost black looking Lincolns the luster can be muted by the heavy tone.  I think that if I cracked this coin and sent it in today it has a very good chance of receiving a  64 with a slim shot at 65.  But there is the risk of the coin getting bagged for AT as this blue color has some connection to the use of MS70 on copper coins, I think the coin is fine and would straight grade again but the risk is there with toned coins.

Hope you and everyone else is enjoying the Memorial weekend.

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

A recent add to the Nickel collection. This one resides in a Gen 8 holder with both the star and T (toned) designations. This is my 2nd coin with both designations. The holder is a bit scratched up, but if I had it reholdered it would lose the T designation.

08F49DC6-9ED2-488F-A80C-6351F5C3AA5D.jpeg

A56AE755-B575-4EB3-AE6C-63E999F5196F.jpeg

4E9E7F7F-1FC0-45AB-B14B-C1F8D142089A.jpeg

A usual Lem nickel. Top quality and eye candy. 

On 5/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, Lem E said:

Just picked this one up today. My first Bust half. Now the fun begins in trying to figure out which die marriage this one is. I picked a heck of a one to start with. 49 or so different die pairs for this year from what I have read. I have a lot of research to do. Should be fun. 

52B5D832-B9AA-4BA1-803F-4CEFC27B258F.jpeg

95B095A7-B497-4D47-B516-CEDD77F5F759.jpeg

5E85F132-0538-4FDA-9AC8-548D9B999F9E.jpeg

This is always a date I'm happy to pay the $15 variety plus fee!  I believe this is reverse U (right side of T and left side of I in line, center line of stripe 5 extending through 4 crossbars along with several other lines extending to crossbars 2 and 3).  So with reverse U that narrows it to O-126 or O-127.  I can't tell from the images whether or not the requisite die cracks are there below the lower curl and across the base of 182.  I am leaning toward this being obverse 4, which would make this an O-127, an R-5.  Of course this is just an opinion based on images and my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

1 hour ago, jtryka said:

This is always a date I'm happy to pay the $15 variety plus fee!  I believe this is reverse U (right side of T and left side of I in line, center line of stripe 5 extending through 4 crossbars along with several other lines extending to crossbars 2 and 3).  So with reverse U that narrows it to O-126 or O-127.  I can't tell from the images whether or not the requisite die cracks are there below the lower curl and across the base of 182.  I am leaning toward this being obverse 4, which would make this an O-127, an R-5.  Of course this is just an opinion based on images and my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

I believe I have figured this one out. I posted another thread on this coin in the newbie forum. It is O-126 R2 Obverse 19 Reverse U. The chip in the lower curl is there as well as the crack in 182 along with the other markers you mentioned. Thank you.

Some nice coin additions @Sharann, I would caution you not to love the look of that 1917 too much or to buy coins with that look.   That staining would not be considered as attractive by very many and it has active corrosion/verdigris.    The 1920 woody and 1931-S are both attractive coins, find more of those.  :golfclap:

Edited by Coinbuf

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Some nice coin additions @Sharann, I would caution you not to love the look of that 1917 too much or to buy coins with that look.   That staining would not be considered as attractive by very many and it has active corrosion/verdigris.    The 1920 woody and 1931-S are both attractive coins, find more of those.  :golfclap:

Thank you and thanks for the heads up 😊. Luckily, I didn't pay up for the 17.😉

On 6/7/2021 at 6:16 PM, Lem E said:

Blast white blazer MS67+5FS

C838EFAB-CE0B-4353-BD93-3C8A0A7951B8.jpeg

32347CF2-54BC-4F73-A144-8FE8AA7248B2.jpeg

Very nice LemE. You have some of the nicest nickles I ever looked at. That is a dandy to put with them. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Alex in PA. said:

0000071900045026314087_obv.jpg

That's a sweet addition. Thats a hard date to get. Love those CCs.  I'm looking forward to adding more to my collection. 

Edited by Hoghead515

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

This one brought me down to 148 in the registry. Slowly getting closer to completing the set I'm working on. I got the 63d in ms66+ a few days ago. Polish_20210609_094435437.thumb.jpg.6ff48dab5a3865373e6889bde9f9fc5d.jpgPolish_20210609_094520893.thumb.jpg.ed797e1093c4a1cd73b20e04eb664a29.jpg

Very nice brother. Keep hammering.

8 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Very nice brother. Keep hammering.

Thank you my friend. It's gonna take me a while. I been trying to get one a week if I can. It may be a few weeks before I can get any more. I hit a deer in our van and tore it up pretty bad. I had to buy another one like it. Gonna take 2 and make one. Only had liability insurance on it. This suburban we been driving is a gas guzzler so trying to get another work rig lined out. 

16 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you my friend. It's gonna take me a while. I been trying to get one a week if I can. It may be a few weeks before I can get any more. I hit a deer in our van and tore it up pretty bad. I had to buy another one like it. Gonna take 2 and make one. Only had liability insurance on it. This suburban we been driving is a gas guzzler so trying to get another work rig lined out. 

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a sweet flame job.