• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

It could also be an SMS (Special Mint Strike) Set...

SMS sets were only made from 1965-67, and only 1965 was packaged in cellophane.  The proof sets had a foil paper insert from the mint, while the late 50s-early 60s mint sets had a plastic token to note which mint the coins were from (philly or denver).

7 minutes ago, jtryka said:

SMS sets were only made from 1965-67, and only 1965 was packaged in cellophane.  The proof sets had a foil paper insert from the mint, while the late 50s-early 60s mint sets had a plastic token to note which mint the coins were from (philly or denver).

Ah okay... didn't know that, thank you!

15 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

A flying eagle cent to add to the type set. I had to step up but very happy with this example. Huge thanks to @Coinbuffor being a second set of eyes. There are some good people, and numismatists, in this forum!

7D688FDA-E64A-433E-917B-88AEE73E46B1.gif

7AC73E59-515B-4B17-A726-E15B8E9F988A.jpeg

That thing looks like it will be a beauty. You are building one heck of a type set Woods. Everything I have seen going into that set looks top notch. Keep it up my friend.

3 minutes ago, Lem E said:

That thing looks like it will be a beauty. You are building one heck of a type set Woods. Everything I have seen going into that set looks top notch. Keep it up my friend.

I’ve got a long way to go. And type set collecting is an interesting challenge. It’s impossible to go as deep on research for all the coins. But it’s a great learning experience and kind of fun…

4 minutes ago, Lem E said:

You actually got me looking at starting a type set so I did an autobuild from my collection. I don’t have much in there but it is a good way to start looking at other coins. I did step away from the nickels for a moment and picked this up last night. Have been looking for a nice woodie Lincoln for a while and found this. Can’t wait to see it in hand. Most likely will take the spot in my type set.

E480E296-C716-4524-B9DF-A02AADC3D5CD.jpeg

0AF524D7-6AA7-402B-B41F-916368773EC8.jpeg

479A550D-0E87-4BC9-A5D8-EC89C65E7ED9.jpeg

It’s beautiful. I love the woodys but I don’t have one. But that is a keeper for sure!

I’m far from a copper expert but that looks awfully clean for a 64. Some weakness here or there but to me I am a little surprised it isn’t higher. Great find!

Edited by Woods020

5 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

It’s beautiful. I love the woodys but I don’t have one. But that is a keeper for sure!

I’m far from a copper expert but that looks awfully clean for a 64. Some weakness here or there but to me I am a little surprised it isn’t higher. Great find!

I did some research on this coin before I picked it up. I don’t know copper much at all, but I didn’t want your run of the mill woodie. Ill have to check it better once I get it but I think I see at least one marker saying its an LDS and have seen 2 different mintages for it. If it was a higher grade, I probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it . xD

2 hours ago, Woods020 said:

[I know what you mean. My brother had a '40 Ford Woody and a '50 Olds.  :)Great classic cars. I never heard the term applied to a coin and Lem E's '12, a proof no less, is the first one I've ever seen. The striations remind me of old-time running boards. Those were the days.] 

12 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Hard to imagine being able to improve on either of those, you are on a tear this week @Woods020.

This will suit me just fine haha. No upgrades in my future. I’m trying to buy the keeper and not do as much upgrading. Theoretically it will save me money in the long run. But who knows. These are two of my favorite coins I own. As long as the pictures do them justice I am a happy camper 

4 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I finally got to a price I could live with on these two beauties. I have had very positive experiences recently with Northeast Numismatics, which I saw as a suggestion by another forum member.

The Buffalo is a brilliant proof NGC Proof 68.  

934BEEC6-7E65-458E-8E1A-BA64D7668894.jpeg

I really really REALLY like the SLQ, the toning on it makes it a exceptional coin. :golfclap:

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Both are breathtakingly beautiful!  (I wonder what the census data are on these.)

[I just checked the census on the Buffalo Head.  Even with all the additional gradients (+)(*) you stand squarely within a very select group of people, with nothing graded finer.  Congratulations!  The '17 SLQ, with measurable date elevation, is truly fine.]

21 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I finally got to a price I could live with on these two beauties. I have had very positive experiences recently with Northeast Numismatics, which I saw as a suggestion by another forum member.

The Buffalo is a brilliant proof NGC Proof 68.  

934BEEC6-7E65-458E-8E1A-BA64D7668894.jpeg

ECD7B2A9-2E80-4728-89FD-6C26FDC087E7.jpeg

B8078D72-CD8A-4C02-916B-435FA5CEFAFA.jpeg

212D1F88-6DDB-4294-8421-588C8473FB07.jpeg

Those are absolutely gorgeous. 

16 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Another shield nickel for the type set. It’s a beauty. Ready to have it in hand. Now if whoever owns it now would release it from their registry I would be a happy camper. 

3F75FFD6-0184-4889-880F-4AD9FF0DD159.jpeg

3AF132DF-5CEF-44F4-BCCB-4160D4802569.jpeg

Fine looking piece. Sharp.