• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Twins?  Alright then, I double-dare VKurtB  to say something about these tastefully toned examples!

Who is VKurtB?  A critic?  

36 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

c'mon, ya been a member since 2010........yer kidding right?!

I’ve been gone for a few years.  
Nope not kidding.  I have very thick skin so plow away😊

31 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

and cleaning of any kind...to coins anyway.

Many collectors feel that white is right. That’s okay.  I, on the other hand, collect beautifully naturally toned coins and that’s what my collection primarily consists of.  I collect beauty and I find some naturally toned coins extremely attractive .  Different strokes for different folks.  We all like what we like.  If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.  I also have brilliant white coins too, but just a few.  I’ve heard every argument there is the hear on the subject.  If a coin has very attractive toning it will tend to bring more money on the auction block.  That is from many years of experience and happens to be fact.  I see naturally toned coins as art. 
  Here’s a question for you.  Can a coin’s technical grade increase after it’s left it’s die? I have the answer for anyone that might be interested.  
😊

Happy hunting CHD

10 hours ago, Buffalo Head said:

Many collectors feel that white is right. That’s okay.  I, on the other hand, collect beautifully naturally toned coins and that’s what my collection primarily consists of.  I collect beauty and I find some naturally toned coins extremely attractive .  Different strokes for different folks.  We all like what we like.  If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.  I also have brilliant white coins too, but just a few.  I’ve heard every argument there is the hear on the subject.  If a coin has very attractive toning it will tend to bring more money on the auction block.  That is from many years of experience and happens to be fact.  I see naturally toned coins as art. 
  Here’s a question for you.  Can a coin’s technical grade increase after it’s left it’s die? I have the answer for anyone that might be interested.  
😊

Happy hunting CHD

I would like to hear the answer, My limited knowledge tells me no. I also assume the answer is yes because I say the question would not have been asked if the answer was not contrary to what we expect. My opinion would be that a coin is technically at it's best grade immediately following leavening the die, first strike out.  

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Lol Joe is playing tricks on you.  (thumbsu  The answer is no a coin cannot improve its technical grade as metal degrades over time, the second it leaves the press it starts that process, albeit very slowly.    However with todays market grading hooey coins are very often graded higher then the technical merits because the graders are assigning prices to coins not grades.   So if the coin has what the graders like the look or feel the tarnish is pretty then the grade is often (very often) bumped up a grade or two over the what the strike and surface preservation truly deserves.   I see this far more often with the grading ATS than here, grade inflation has run amuck and is out of control.   That of course is just my opinion as someone that thinks grading should be done on the technical merits and leave the pricing to the market.

Your answer is correct.  A coins technical grade can improve after it leaves its die.  If the graders find the toning attractive then, Presto a higher grade is assigned.  Many will argue this but it happens to be the truth.  
Happy hunting, Joe

Honest answer:  I don't know.  The fact of the matter is grades, as one member noted elsewhere on the Forum, "are all over the place."  I was reminded of that when I compared one gold MS-67 I was offered with five others I own none of which have toning or distractions of any kind, and found the one offered to be clearly lacking.  In fact, a grade of MS-66 would have been overly generous.

What numismatics needs, going well beyond CAC, is an accredited appeals board with the power to order TPGS to raise or lower their grades on questionioned grades -- or justify their actions based on previously graded examples. All else are selling points.