• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,890 posts in this topic

I acquired this coin (1894 Morgan) about a year ago when I was focused on Morgan Dollars but never posted it. I don't think I was even a member of this site yet but it goes along with my "Key Dates" collecting theme.

I'm still trying to figure out how to narrow my focus since key dates isn't really a category. I could attempt to obtain a type set (I think) with one key date for each major US Coin but I still like the idea of completing a set of all dates and mint marks for at least one US Coin... Right now it would be Barber Half Dollars. 

Any ideas are welcome but I have a habit of jumping around in different areas for Key Dates (Peace, Morgan, Ikes, Barber, Walking Liberty, Franklin, Kennedy and Washington Quarters). 

IMG_20200505_140404~2.jpg

IMG_20200505_140349~2.jpg

On 12/28/2020 at 11:43 AM, 80s Kid said:

I posted this in in a different forum a few months ago but don't think I ever posted it here. According to the population reports, this is the only 1897-S Barber with a "PL" designation between NGC and the other TPG company. 

I'll admit that I fell in love with this coin, however, if anyone is able to provide feedback on this, please do. This absolutely includes criticism (constructive) because I'm constantly trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

Screenshot_20200824-223247~2.png

Screenshot_20200824-223146.png

Very nice coin, top pop and finest known. Definitely a keeper. Good eye!

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

15 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

good looking coin right there...

Thank you! I was really tempted to get an 1896-O graded Fine (Raw) but it wasn't that nice of a coin for the grade (the 1896-O is very high on my want list).

I'm really liking the challenge of this series... almost every date/mint is scarce @ Fine or better but the only real "Stopper" is the 1892-O "Micro O" variety.

I've got a long way to go but I've only been collecting for approx 2 years with less than a year devoted to Barber Half Dollars. 

shoot I graded a '64 quarter...aint no shame in grading a coin....it's your coin no one elses' lot of folk here tell ya different with cost an all......me , I'd tell ya to grade it,I don't care about the cost just the grade......course I lose hundreds at the track on a given weekend so what do I know.....

10 hours ago, rocket23 said:

shoot I graded a '64 quarter...aint no shame in grading a coin....it's your coin no one elses' lot of folk here tell ya different with cost an all......me , I'd tell ya to grade it,I don't care about the cost just the grade......course I lose hundreds at the track on a given weekend so what do I know.....

Most of the raw coins I have come from a local coin shop that's been in business for a long time so the owner grades all of the raw coins himself. I understand the concept of you having the final say but I rarely ever disagree with the grades at this place.

My only concern is the NGC Registry and being able to submit coins requires them to be slabbed. The creation of a "raw coin registry" would be interesting but would probably have to be informal with no points or some kind of voting system. 

1 hour ago, 80s Kid said:

Most of the raw coins I have come from a local coin shop that's been in business for a long time so the owner grades all of the raw coins himself. I understand the concept of you having the final say but I rarely ever disagree with the grades at this place.

My only concern is the NGC Registry and being able to submit coins requires them to be slabbed. The creation of a "raw coin registry" would be interesting but would probably have to be informal with no points or some kind of voting system. 

If you want to setup a type raw registry you can do so at Gerry Fortin's website, his registry accepts raw and slabbed.  The only catch is that there are very few categories and of course there are no awards, just a way to show off your collection.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, Coinbuf said:

If you want to setup a type raw registry you can do so at Gerry Fortin's website, his registry accepts raw and slabbed.  The only catch is that there are very few categories and of course there are no awards, just a way to show off your collection.

Thanks for the info about Gerry Fortin's website. I started uploading my Barber Half Dollars there. I'm just not able to upload photos. It's possible my browser is not showing the page properly or I just need to spend more time learning about the site. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

46 minutes ago, 80s Kid said:

Thanks for the info about Gerry Fortin's website. I started uploading my Barber Half Dollars there. I'm just not able to upload photos. It's possible my browser is not showing the page properly or I just need to spend more time learning about the site. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

His site cannot host the photos like this site does, you have to put the photos on another site like photobucket or something similar and then link the photos.  Not my favorite way of doing it and I have not done so yet myself. 

^^^^ Nice!!!

Me?, I went thru 40 pennies ;most wheaties,..... that deserved grading but I doubt even one will be sent out; 20 some odd unc in great shape the the others all proof pennies......all in 2x2's waiting for a coin show.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:37 AM, leeg said:

This one is pretty well struck for the year. Particularly the Reverse.

GC 1957-D NGC Lincoln Cent Obv Lg Combo.png

leeg, When I see nice Lincoln cent photos, I have to compare it to mine...……..Yep! yours is very well struck.  Mine is mushy in the hair details.