• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,883 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2020 at 7:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

One more reason why I love old coins.  Look at the strength and definition of those fonts!  The computer-generated devices on today's coins look weak and malnourished in comparison.  Nice catch, Alex!

Just for you Quintus:  Here's one I bought today at a cost I will not say.  I do so love that Rebel Gold.

PCGS_AU55_D.jpg

PCGS_AU55.jpg

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Just for you Quintus:  Here's one I bought today at a cost I will not say.  I do so love that Rebel Gold.

PCGS_AU55_D.jpg

PCGS_AU55.jpg

With Lincoln on the campaign trail and rumors of a Civil War running rife, government men were busy pounding out these gorgeous, well-struck gems. Nice catch, Alex!

Being born and raised in Alabama, I thought it fitting that one of my nicer coin purchases be an Alabama commemorative. Happy to bring one of the better examples to it’s state of reference. 

704D9F90-481B-4190-BA96-854B3676ECF1.jpeg

E7324BAA-B96E-4864-BFCE-E8E41C5B3E3A.jpeg

9F3D9A5B-C00E-4FFE-9D3D-AE0DD606E09C.jpeg

Edited by Woods020

I just got my order from the Mint, 400th Mayflower Anniversary gold coins and it’s tearing me up that I can’t look at them because they have to be unopened for NGC to grade them with their certificate numbers.  Have to get the order form filled out and get them in the mail tomorrow and hope for a speedy return. No pics 

8 hours ago, Jacob S said:

Picked up this 1853-P Arrows Seated Liberty Dime. Any guesses on grade?

H21890-L234598264.jpg

H21890-L234598272.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!  At first blush, I would assign this a grade of MS-67 though the reverse seems superior to the obverse. The strict constructionists among us, however, would insist that a Mint State coin must exhibit "no traces of wear."  So where does that leave us?  On the obverse, there appears to be a suggestion of wear on the face extending downward to the mid-section. The flag, or pennant, and bottom part of the shield, exhibit more of the same. Not sure how the oblique line extending under the left arrow would affect the grade.  The reverse appears to have been strongly struck. There is, however, a suggestion of wear on the middle right leaf, a mysterious triangular patch of mottled ground NW of the top left bow and the swan dive-like line emanating from the E in ONE.  Any member inclined to volunteer a grade would have to take all of these phenomena into consideration. I love the coin, which is in remarkable condition for its age, but am ill-equipped to volunteer a grade objectively. Let's wait and see what the experts with a purported 150 aggregate years of professional numismatic experience have to say about your lovely gem...

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Welcome to the Forum! At first blush, I would assign this a grade of MS-67 though the reverse seems superior to the obverse. The strict constructionists among us, however, would insist that a Mint State coin must exhibit "no traces of wear." So where does that leave us? On the obverse, there appears to be a suggestion of wear on the face extending downward to the mid-section. The flag, or pennant, and bottom part of the shield, exhibit more of the same. Not sure how the oblique line extending under the left arrow would affect the grade. The reverse appears to have been strongly struck. There is, however, a suggestion of wear on the middle right leaf, a mysterious triangular patch of mottled ground NW of the top left bow and the swan dive-like line emanating from the E in ONE. Any member inclined to volunteer a grade would have to take all of these phenomena into consideration. I love the coin, which is in remarkable condition for its age, but am ill-equipped to volunteer a grade objectively. Let's wait and see what the experts with a purported 150 aggregate years of professional numismatic experience have to say about your lovely gem...

Thank you for the info and the time to take a look! This forum has already really helped me in better evaluating coins and getting an appreciation for all the aspects in it.