• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

1904-S Reverse 2, "thin ribbon" reverse of 1900. The proportion of 1904-S with reverse 2, roughly 25%, means they are relatively easy to find. However, the low 800,000 mintage also means a relatively expensive coin, and I was unwilling to spend $500 on an AU example (being the cheapskate collector that I am). I think I did OK for the price ($81 all in), mostly looking for a lot of meat left on the reverse and not obnoxiously cleaned. If you've been following my quest for the less common transition varieties, I still need a 1901-P reverse 2, and I've realized that I don't have a nice slabbed example of reverse 3 (reverse of 1901-1916 "thick ribbon"), so I'll probably pick up a 1901-P for that as well. Then take them on tour! :)

1904-S_Type2.jpg

Just arrived today.  Once I saw in person, I'm surprised it didn't get a *star designation.  Obv is at least as nice as PL and other *stars I have.  Maybe there is something I'm ignorant about?

8 hours ago, Truly Clean said:

I'm not much of a fan of toning, but that one is SWEET jgrinz !!

I like original looking coins … It was with a bunch of other morgans I bought for resale

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

1901-P Reverse 3 "thick ribbon", the most common of the 1901 reverse design transition varieties. My research indicates the "thick ribbon" was introduced around April 1, 1901, based on the monthly coinage records and how well the proportions of the varieties across the 3 mints plus proofs line up with before and after April. Reverse 3 was then used exclusively through 1916, except for SF which sporadically used Reverse 2 through 1905.

This coin reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, where his girlfriend only looks beautiful in the light of a specific booth in the cafe, and in other places, he looks at her and goes "Aaah! Yikes!". I haven't decided if I like it or not. Difficult for me to photograph with the coin so deep in the holder.

Are you trying to corner the market on these, or are you just acquiring enough coins to take your show on the road? ;)

:jokealert:

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Are you trying to corner the market on these, or are you just acquiring enough coins to take your show on the road? ;)

:jokealert:

Hahaha, yes. First step, corner it. Second step, create a market. The latter apparently involves handing a bag of cash to a TPG or publisher.

Found another coin, this time in the bottom of a box,  3/4 way wedged underneath cardboard flip at the very bottom. Box didn't have  coins in it, just other handmedown stuff, so this was pretty exciting! Turned out to be a common 1880 S, up close looks like it's been in motorcycle wreck, no toning etc.,  so not worth grading, but hey, made my day!15870822894464734714461479663638.thumb.jpg.70886b3668b4eb6d752ea9aa90479d0f.jpg15870824018686818138751828802052.thumb.jpg.cdffb2ea3c06fee4de22361b9240ab7e.jpg

Truly Clean, when I showed my 1880 S  the photo of your 1880 S, and she saw the beautiful MS67 that she could have been, she just hung her AU50 head. She knows she never should've gotten on the back of that motorcycle.