• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

Fun Newps everyone! :applause:

... but for a sawbuck I can't complain! ...

After doing charades last night with my daughters and their boyfriends (all 4 of them are twenty-somethings) I was surprised to learn that no one knew the song, "Swannee River".

I think your sawbuck term might also fall in that category these days. FWIW here's part of the "Urban Dictionary" definition of sawbucks...

"Since 1985 or so, the term has referred to a 10-dollar "bag" (actual bag or any kind of package) of any street drug (heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, etc.)."

So, were you trading one addiction to fill another? ;)

Well, although I was in high school in 1985, I never heard the term sawbuck for that, I did hear another term for it, but to my knowledge it's always been a $10 bill (though still an addition no doubt!)

Well, although I was in high school in 1985, I never heard the term sawbuck for that, I did hear another term for it, but to my knowledge it's always been a $10 bill (though still an addition no doubt!)

I was 18 in 1985 and the $10 bill reference is the only one that I am familiar with, too.. :)

In construction terminology it means a sawhorse.

1878 CC Morgan Dollar I just purchased for my Carson City set. These are not my pictures. I'll have to get better ones. Got a good deal on it. Just that one damned tiny carbon spot. Anyone want to guess the grade?

167636.jpg.5ae1a8ec2909e98b07c5f27395be1edc.jpg

167637.jpg.0f2dadba952bd6f2b061e6a9e411a0d8.jpg

Wow, that's a nice CC Morgan. I can't tell from the images if it's MS or not but the cheeks are as clean as a 65. It has the luster of a 63 or a 64. That speck in front of her nose doesn't really bother me. I'll say 64.

I would tend to agree, but believe it or not, NGC graded it AU55. If it goes up just one grade that doubles its value. Might resubmit it, but I'm not sure. I'm new to the slabbing concept.

I would tend to agree, but believe it or not, NGC graded it AU55. If it goes up just one grade that doubles its value. Might resubmit it, but I'm not sure. I'm new to the slabbing concept.

The only thing that gives way to it's grade are the gray, lackluster surfaces. But from the images; I can't see any wear, even in the hair above the ear. The eagle's breast is not well defined but I assumed that was from the strike. This just goes to show why you must see a coin in hand or at least from good, larger images. That is a really nice Morgan, in any event, and is at least a AU 58 all day long. (thumbs u

A NewP, from David Kahn:

fhZU8TW.jpg

A little thing I just taught myself how to do. The lighting technique needs some work & over-emphasizes chatter in the fields, but I think it's pretty cool for showing luster:

GhZayvS.gif

Edited by orifdoc

A NewP, from David Kahn:

fhZU8TW.jpg

A little thing I just taught myself how to do. The lighting technique needs some work & over-emphasizes chatter in the fields, but I think it's pretty cool for showing luster:

GhZayvS.gif

The coin is very nice. I also like your animated GIF. How many still shots did you take and at what angle was the coin titled? What about the positioning of the lights? I have seen many do this and the result usually doesn't have as smooth of a transition as your image does.

There's plenty of ways to do this and I played around with a few. The first few tries weren't very smooth at all. I used PhotoShop Elements to do this.

The coin and camera are set in place and don't move. I took something like 10 or 11 photos while moving a single hand-held halogen light around the lens a few degrees at a time. Focus is manually set, the exposure and shutter are manually set, the mirror is locked open, and I trigger the shutter remotely with Canon's tethered image capture software. Each frame gets cropped and I resized everything to 300x300, which still results in a 1.2 MB image. I duplicated most of the frames to loop it like this:

Each frame plays for 0.1 sec IIRC.

There's plenty of ways to do this and I played around with a few. The first few tries weren't very smooth at all. I used PhotoShop Elements to do this.

The coin and camera are set in place and don't move. I took something like 10 or 11 photos while moving a single hand-held halogen light around the lens a few degrees at a time. Focus is manually set, the exposure and shutter are manually set, the mirror is locked open, and I trigger the shutter remotely with Canon's tethered image capture software. Each frame gets cropped and I resized everything to 300x300, which still results in a 1.2 MB image. I duplicated most of the frames to loop it like this:

Each frame plays for 0.1 sec IIRC.

Thank you!

I was going to guess it was a 58 based on the photos, they just make the coin look just a bit circulated.

A NewP, from David Kahn:

fhZU8TW.jpg

GhZayvS.gif

^^

Nice type coin!

A NewP, from David Kahn:

fhZU8TW.jpg

GhZayvS.gif

^^

Nice type coin!

+1 (thumbs u

Well, I found my 1890 CC. Graded by NGC, and a nice original tone. I think its nice, feel free to disagree. I bet someone might find it fugly, but I like it. Care to guess the grade? I'll revel shortly.

167702.jpg.663c2e8ad37212c85dc6bd71da5a3b20.jpg

167703.jpg.529124340d06dde72399e1c59c347416.jpg

Nice 1957- I'm working on this series myself. Just won this NGC MS66 1935 last night! Old holder, looks good from pics.

Nice. It looks like doubling on the 5 in the date?

Hard to tell Lee, there may be something going on with the "5." I'll have to take a closer look when I see coin in hand. Thanks for pointing out. There's 5 different DDO varieties for this date, and 2 DDR. I'll let you know if there's something more.

Nice 1957- I'm working on this series myself. Just won this NGC MS66 1935 last night! Old holder, looks good from pics.

No doubling. Just lit from the bottom, so it's the light playing tricks with your eyes.

No doubling. Just lit from the bottom, so it's the light playing tricks with your eyes.

Good point.