• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

Very nice color. Any info on the aurora orban collection?

Sorry no. I don't think it has much panache. I just liked the coin.

Heritage was selling many, many toned coins from this particular collection.

Nice one! I didn't know Kirk was selling until it was too late....I'm kind of bummed out by that.

Also, I haven't seen Kirk in a long while...I've been wondering what happened to him. He used to live in my area but a few of the collectors that knew him better aren't around any more either. hm

jom

Here's my most recent 1921 High Relief Peace Dollar purchase that I'm pleased to share with my fellow forum members. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your comments and observations about strike, variety and luster.

1921 High Relief Peace Dollar

1921%20Peace%20Dollar%20-%20Montage_zps8hx4lyi9.jpg

1921%20Peace%20Dollar%20-%20Obverse_zpsr83nqwlb.jpg1921%20Peace%20Dollar%20-%20Reverse_zpslr1ujzx1.jpg

Can't wait to see the coin associated with this image:

WCE3A.jpg

Never been photographed before.

PKLEM: That's a beautifully toned Peace Dollar!!

Kenneth: Nice score on that Battlecreek. I haven't seen many from that hoard above 64, let alone 66*. Very nice!

Clarkbar04: I love the look of that WLH!! From the coins I've seen you post on this site, you must have a beautiful collection.

PKLEM: That's a beautifully toned Peace Dollar!!

Kenneth: Nice score on that Battlecreek. I haven't seen many from that hoard above 64, let alone 66*. Very nice!

Clarkbar04: I love the look of that WLH!! From the coins I've seen you post on this site, you must have a beautiful collection.

+1 (thumbs u

Couple of nice dimes. I love the no-stars. Nice look & cool die breaks.

Here's a couple NewPs I'm excited about:

1927d-1-MS65-wht_zps1kfe4r4w.jpg

1934d-1-MS66-wht_zpsxwiwd0rn.jpg

Edited by orifdoc

Love that 37 dime...I've always liked the plain look without the stars. Nice die break too.

The Peace Dollars are just amazing too...not my favorite series but those are terrific.

jom

1921 Peace Dollar - Glossy Luster, Strong Strike & Light Cameo Contrast

Judging by the Glossy Mint Luster, Strong Strike and Light Cameo Contrast this coin was more than likely one of the Early Die State coins struck on Dec 28, 1921 (1st mintage day) using the higher (150 tons per sq in) pressure. (Reference the following excerpt from Roger Burdette's - A Guide Book of Peace Dollars).

"Manufacturing standard silver dollars was hard on equipment and dies. The steel of the time could not tolerate much more than 150 tons per square inch of pressure and even that was far above the practical limit of about 120 tons.

At available pressure, the relief of central obverse and central reverse were too great to allow full metal flow into the design. The centers of the portrait and eagle are the most common places of defective detail, but problems extended to lettering, rays and other details.

When the first 1921 Peace Dollars were put into production, the engraver had pressure set well above normal in hopes of getting more detail. The designer was present on that day. But, as soon as striking began, so did the problems. The pressure was so high that steel dies failed catastrophically - they "exploded" rather than just cracking or collapsing. At the end of the day the engraver halted production, and after some tests the next day, resumed with reduced striking pressure - hence the poorly detailed coins common for 1921.

Only the first day's production were minimally acceptable to the designer or engraver. The coins with very good central detail AND fully formed letters and rays are the best that were made. Some of the pieces described as "proofs" don't have any more detail than good circulation coins and were probably not made on a medal press. - as are all proof coins of that era."

1921%20Peace%20-%20Montage_zpslu9ti7ul.jpg

1921%20Peace%20-%20Obv_zpsvmjdybzb.jpg1921%20Peace%20-%20Rev_zps1iqlzduh.jpg

Some Great looking Newps everyone! :applause:

I already have a bunch of 1952 Washingtons, but I like the no brainer Mint Set colors of this coin. Images by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1952_rWA4o5t_zpsrubqbcbo.jpgbc1952_rWAr4t_zpsf0qra6v5.jpg