• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

1872 5c proof minor doubled die obverse. I finally decided to bring an example of this variety into my collection. It's an easy variety to find; in fact, a high percentage of 1872 proofs were struck with this doubled die (S2-1015, F-06, 3-O-III). You will sometimes see 1872 proof DDOs erroneously listed as FS-007.

This example appeals to me because it's original, very clean, and a pleasing (to me, at least) golden tone with subtle shades of green. So, after passing over many opportunities, I finally pulled the trigger on this one. The fields are not deeply mirrored -- which is typical for Shield proofs -- but there is a bit of cameo contrast.

1193092-1872S2-1015obv%26rev.jpg

1193094-1872S2-1015cross%26annulet.jpg

This may not be the most expensive coin but I really liked the fact that it appears to retain it's original skin (if I'm not mistaken).
BTW - That is a great looking coin IGWT. Really nice.

bust1.jpgbust2.jpgbust3.jpg

Shane,

Those two toners are awesome!

I am surprised at the grade on the Morgan. The star is a no-brainer, but a MS64? The obverse looks like a 64, but the reverse is so clean – 66 maybe? I’ll admit I’m spreading some fairly new grading wings, but in my humble opinion with that clean a reverse it’s a solid 65.

Hays

all superb eye appeal coins and this is the key with federal coinage

hail.gifeye appeal hail.gif

more and more the eye appeal facotr is becoming a more important part of the grading equasion

1880-S Morgan: I like collecting Morgans and the minor VAMs. All too often, these errors remain unattributed and overlooked. This one was purchased from one of the board members. It's a common date, but it has nice luster and doubling on the date as well. I can't find it in the VAM Book, but I don't have all of the updates.

1193677-IMG_0397.JPG

Doubled "1"

1193677-IMG_0395.JPG

Doubled "1"

1885 Morgan: Here is another one that I won on eBay from another seller at about the same time.

1193677-IMG_0366.JPG

1193677-IMG_0367.JPG

Note the die clash to the right of the bonnet from the wreath on the reverse.

1193677-IMG_0365.JPG

This "spike" from the eagle's wing on the reverse is quite common but overlooked.

Chris

1193677-IMG_0365.JPG.618ad632ad5991f5f0186bbc43371e36.JPG

Edited by cpm9ball

Shane,

Those two toners are awesome!

I am surprised at the grade on the Morgan. The star is a no-brainer, but a MS64? The obverse looks like a 64, but the reverse is so clean – 66 maybe? I’ll admit I’m spreading some fairly new grading wings, but in my humble opinion with that clean a reverse it’s a solid 65.

Hays

Thanks Hays

Actually the Obverse is a borderline 64...maybe even a 63 due to one medium size hit under Libertys eye otherwise it's a 65 coin. Now the reverse is a 68 if there ever were one.......I kid you not there isn't a mark on it....it's phenominal hail.gif

Now the reverse is a 68 if there ever were one.......I kid you not there isn't a mark on it....it's phenominal hail.gif

Are you out of your mind????? It's got that RGBY gunk all over it!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Nice Morgan, Shane!

Chris

This is the seller’s photo. I bid low on this Pilgrim for an album coin because I thought it looked dipped out. Turns out the image must have been in Gray Scale, coin in hand is lustrous.

1920pilgram1rq.jpg

Quote:

**********************************************************************************************

Thanks Hays

Actually the Obverse is a borderline 64...maybe even a 63 due to one medium size hit under Libertys eye otherwise it's a 65 coin. Now the reverse is a 68 if there ever were one.......I kid you not there isn't a mark on it....it's phenominal

**********************************************************************************************

(don't know how to do that quote thing)

HA, ha - told you I was new at grading AND why I try to stay away from raw coins, for now. Man, it’s a beautiful coin. Of course, now there are even MORE beauties!

I’ve been trying for about an hour now to take a photo of my coin, but alas all I seem to get is a reflection. I guess everyone’s second hobby is photography!

Hays

Here’s one I picked up about a month ago. Both the obverse and reverse rims of the coin have a touch of bright rainbow toning. Although most prominent at 6 o’clock on the obverse, the color becomes more apparent in other areas around the rims as the coin in rotated under a light. In fact, most of the areas that appear dark in the photos actually show as color when light hits them at the correct angle. The centers are a very nice original silver color.

1194156-1934texasobv.jpg1194157-1934texasrev.jpg

John

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post. These kinds of threads are a great prompt to do a little research on each coin posted; they present an opportunity to take me outside my areas of collecting.

I really enjoyed this thread! All posts have contributed some outstanding coins! Unfortunately, I haven't added any NEWP's lately. frown.gif

I really enjoyed this thread too! All, very nice coins. I hate to single any out because they are all outstanding but being partial to busts, that 1814 bust half is quite an eye catcher. I love it. And the 1810 penny is another of my favorites.

I recently acquired an 1822 bust half from JJ Teaparty. A little overpriced, I think, but the coin is quite lovely. I usually am turned off some by mottled toning, though, not always. This coin though has it all, from my point of view, for an AU. The strike I think is great for the year, the center dot on the neck is quite pronounced, which I find kind of fascinating. It has very nice cartwheel luster, and though my photos don't show the color all that well, it has a steely grey color, maybe a hint on the greenish side, that, to me, is absolutely appealing. They had it labeled as an Overton 110, but it is not. I think it is an O-111, mostly because of the die rust under the right wing, but I'm not good at all with measuring dates etc so I cannot comment on the obverse at all. Should anyone agree or disagree with this attribution, please let me know, and why. It would be helpful. (I looked at the heritage pictures of the reverses of this Overton number, and they all have the die rust and lines from the crossbars going into the R wing (lines 2 and 3 to be exact, though Overton only says 'several' crossbars go into the R wing) and lines from the stripes going into the crossbars, all of which this coin has. Its enough to drive you crazy.

1194489-1822obv.jpg

1194490-1822rev.jpg

Boiler's '56 Flyer:

1194789-%21856FlyerTVcopy.jpg

Plate coins are sweet. Cover plates are sweeter still. smile.gif Congratulations!

Lou, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to serve or cover food on it.

B56 .........Nice FE!

Lou, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to serve or cover food on it.

Whitman Publishing just released Rick Snow's book on Flying Eagle & Indian Cents. I believe that Boiler's '56 Flyer is the plate coin for the cover.

1194963-flyingeagleguidebook.jpg