• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 South African Mint Set

22 posts in this topic

At the recently concluded GSNA show in NJ I bought something that I have no clue about. Usually, this is not a good strategy, however, in this case there seemed to be little downside. I am now the owner of a 1953 South African Mint Set in the original government box of issue including original (apparently) tissue. The coins are moderately toned and are superb. There are two small gold coins included and these are also somewhat toned. This makes me wonder about the purity of the gold coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Could anyone tell me the weight and purity of the two gold coins in the set? Also, what is a reasonable value for a complete set as this one keeping in mind that the coins are gorgeous. Thanks!

I don't have a reference book with me right now as I'm supposed to be working, but the purity level should be listed in Krause. If no one has beaten me to it, I'll look it up later tonight.

I believe that Michael recently posted about having a monster toned South African proof set with all the gold coins toned.

The 1/2 pound coin is 3.994 grams of .917 gold, or .1177 AGW and the 1 pound coin is 7.9881 grams, .917 gold, .2354 AGW. The 11 coin set (PS26) is listed at $220 in the Krause I have. I don't know what, if any, premium the nice eye appeal would bring, but I sure would like to see them.

Thank you for the information on the coins. This is the complete eleven piece set still intact with the blue holder lined with blue velvet and covered with several pieces of tissue paper. The inside of the top of the case is white satin and it has a monogram of SAM for the South African Mint. Since the gold coins weigh as much as they do and with gold at $356.50 per ounce currently, it appears that I have $138.17 just in gold bullion. That's good since I paid less than the Krause listing price, which I assume is comparable in price to a world coins Red Book. Here is one image of the intact set.

172278-Pdr_0457.jpg.f1cdfb4f548f42d904c35a58de76f187.jpg

I think Shiroh is going to be out of luck on this set as I bought it for myself because of the toning. Here is another image of the set that shows the colors somewhat better. The reverses of the coins are also quite attractive. For some of the coins, the reverses are better than the obverses. There are two coins that are particularly attractive and the gold coins are also neatly toned. That surprised me.

172280-Pdr_0458.jpg.1dc1c107457bc00156d80b0b370100ec.jpg

Very nice set! smile.gif

The Krause prices are average retail prices, but they don't seem to get updated often. I've been able to find a lot of coins at 40-80% of list. Some of the more popular/less available coins tend to go at or higher than what's in the Krause. At least that's what I've seen in my little segment of it. I'd be happy paying what you did for a set like that.

Sounds good, andy007, however, shipping is reallllllllllly expensive on South African Mint Sets. 893whatthe.gif

I was indeed looking for an 11-piece 1953 SA specimen set, but I already got one.

1953SAgoldproofset.JPG

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the toning on the coins very well.

I think Krause may actually be a bit low on some of these sets. Only 3,000 of the 1953 11-piece sets were made, and they're attractive British commonwealth coins. Doesn't $220 seem like a bargain?

I also got a 9-piece 1960 proof set with even better toning for Krause list price of $25. There were only 1,860 of them made, and I think I got a bargain.

I haven't seen you in a long time, Shiroh, where have you been?

I agree, the Krause price seems like a bargain for a complete set with great toning. The other set also sounds very cool. I like it!

I reckon I've been everywhere except here recently. I've taken a real shine to South African 5 shillings coins, too (no, I don't mean that I clean them). Compared with Franklin halves and other US coins of their period, they're beautiful and cheap! shocked.gif

On 12/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, shirohniichan1 said:

Wow-- I searched for images of 1953 South Africa specimen sets, and look what I found!

You found a previous incarnation of yourself :)