• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 Lincoln Penny

6 posts in this topic

I need some help identifying the differences in the 1982 Lincoln penny. Could someone break down the differences in the 4 1982 pennies and the 3 1982D pennies for me? Best I can tell there is a copper/zinc difference and a large date/small date difference. How can I tell which is which out of this lot so I can fill those blanks in my folder. Thanks.

Thx for the link. I used some of the info to come up with a test that seemed to work pretty well. I will pass it on here in case anyone else wants to take advantage of it. I took a popsicle stick and placed a small strip of tape on one end and stuck a pre 1982 penny on that end. I then placed a post 1982 penny on the other end and with that end I slid it towards the edge of a table so that almost half of the stick was hanging off the table. Once I figured out where the balancing point was I marked a line on my stick that was even with the edge of the table. From that point forward I had a pretty good test for 1982 and 82 d's. Once I placed my unknown penny on the empty end of my stick I would slide it forward off the table to about halfway on the stick. If the stick fell off the table before I reached my mark on the stick, then I had a Copper penny. If the stick would balance or fall off after reaching the line on the stick then I had a Zinc penny. The zincs weigh 2.5 grams and the coppers are 3.11 grams. So finding the heavier one was all I needed to do.

Also there is a font difference which happens from time to time in penny collections if I understand correctly. There were a couple pennies made in copper with small and large type as was the zinc. Once I compared several pennies to one another it was easy enough to spot the differences.

At any rate, thanks for the lead on that sight.

The simple test for copper or zinc is the ring test. Balance the cent on the tip of your finger and lightly tap it on the rim with another coin. If you hear a clear ringing sound the coin is copper. If you hear more of a thud, the coin is zinc. Try it with both pre and post '82 coins to be sure you can hear the difference.

This is not the best test for coins that you don't want fingerprinted, but it you are willing to let them fall off of the table then I guess you won't mind balancing them on your finger tip.