• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Need To Know: Original & Altered Surfaces Both Raw & Slabbed

48 posts in this topic

If we put up a wiki for you guys, do you think we'd generate enough first rate content like this to develop a real knowledge base?

Great idea!

Glad I thought of it. crazy.gif

re: 1872 Seated Liberty Half Dime

It is indeed rare for a 100+ yr old coin to still be white. Here is an example of an original Shield nickel that is still blast white with a thick, original skin.

1880 Shield Nickel PR66 CAM

Granted, it is a different alloy and is less prone to toning than silver but it still serves as an example of old, white originality.

p.s. Dipped, AT or not, I still love that Capped Bust Quarter!

I had asked the moderators to change the web address for each of my images since I have reconfigured my web hosting service and this required one of them to edit my initial post. Please note that none of the images or text have been modified, simply the code behind them.

Thanks!

Hello !

I hope this is the right place .....

I am new , try to post a question :

NGC just returned a 1798 $ from IGC with a white lable . The label was marked CLEANING. NOT Improperly cleaned or whizzed .. just Cleaning . What does this mean ?

AND how can I get this coin graded (Crossover ).

Thanks for any help Gunter

Without pictures, it is hard to say. I have had one coin come back "cleaned" for a small spot on the obverse which had been removed before I bought the coin and I missed it because it was very small.

TomB

In regards to the 1939 WQ the color seems to be a blue green image. Is this a true representation of this coin or is it just a color corrected image? I see what you mean regarding the surface toward the rim being different than toward the center.

As for the [skin] of a coin is this a metallurgic term refering the orginal surface characteristic flow lines produced under pressure? Or perhaps its the build up of oxidation products such as toning due to the formation of silver/copper sulfide would be considered as patina layer? Not sure coinage metals have 'skin' that can peeled or removed as that of an orange or an animals hide in a continuous layer.

A coins top exposed surface can exhibit different textures but as skin? For example, a newly minted coin can exhibit a cartwheel, prooflike, or deep mirror prooflike reflective surface and is due to the reflection or refraction of light off of the coins surface.

As for the toned coin light is absorbed giving it that dull brown or black color.

I hope your not offended that ask these questions regarding descriptive terms but I am trying to understand what you mean regarding altered surfaces

gho

It means that the grading service does not handle dirty coins and before they will grade it you must have it cleaned!

This is the same for 'no cause altered surface'. In order for them to BB it 'Altered Surface' they want you to alter the surface and tell them how you did it. Then, they will process it and accept two submission payments from you instead of one. :jokealert: