• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much time do you spend on coins per week, as a hobby?

52 posts in this topic

If coins are your hobby, how many total hours in a week, on the average, do you spend on the following:

looking for new coins

admiring your coins

buying coins

selling coins

reading about coins

posting messages about coins

discussing coins

cataloging your collection(s)

35+ hours a week

if currency can go under this then 40+ I figure I put in between ebay hunting, currency chatting ( with sending pics of my cool notes) , look at work and going to the banks thats about 100+ hrs taking time for bathrooms and sleeping. even when i buy food i look at the change and look for errors on the notes while i eat so i cant even say eating time i take breaks ( just try not to get anything on the notes incase they are good.

When I saw this question and stopped to think about it, I was almost scared to really assess the answer because it is a frightening amount. It is to the point where, free time aside, I have the good fortune (or is it?) to have a job that allows me to sit at my desk all day and shop for coins in the down time whether it be from ebay or an online coin dealer, as well as read forums such as this one. So if you want you can tack on 40 hours a week right there. Then there is my spare time of which a good deal of is spent doing the same, at my uncles coin shop or just admiring my coins. Lucky for me some of my family share the hobby and my girl at least pretends to be interested in the stuff...she especially likes the toners!

So hmm my final answer is TOO much time. lol

Retired, and bored some of the time...

I spend most of my "coin time" here on the BB's. Probably about 8-10 hours a week.

Read Coin World, look at my collections, OCCASIONALLY buy a new coin, read coin books about series that I am interested in, really enjoy trying to attribute varieties ibn my meager collection and those posted here,

All in all, I'd say maybe 15-20 hours a week.

RI Al

Only 5-7 here, but I'm a student who literally has to work 50+ hours a week because of my course load.

I'm not a student but regularly put in 55-60 hours a week at work. Depending on the season, 5-7 hours a week is normal.

Only 5-7 here, but I'm a student who literally has to work 50+ hours a week because of my course load.

I'm not a student but regularly put in 55-60 hours a week at work. Depending on the season, 5-7 hours a week is normal.

I put as many as 70 hours a week in at work. Gotta love that overtime lol I spend about 20 to 30 hours a week on coins.

I always have one eye on the market and online sellers. I would have to say out of a 18 hour work day, I look for coins 3 hours out of that 18.

Told the wife to call A&E.. try to get an intervention for when I return home. Im a coin junkie.

so wrong mister,i am a top rated seller on ebay and when i mail my 20 or so packages a day most of the time,over half are to women. i know i am a damn ugly dude and my picture is on my me page so that can't be it.women are collecting in volumes don't tell my wife that cause she'll call you a liar.thanks danny fricker

Michael,

Everything you said is exactly the same for me, I spend too much time on coins a week, and my wife says I care about coins more than her.

My name is Ben and I'm a coinaholic

Michael,

Everything you said is exactly the same for me, I spend too much time on coins a week, and my wife says I care about coins more than her.

My name is Ben and I'm a coinaholic

For real!! I'm getting worse and worse. My back literally hurts from sitting in from of the computer so much. I spend TOO MUCH of my time looking at and discussing coins. :) I love it, though, and it is a worthwhile hobby. IMHO.