• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World and Ancient Library Recommendations

52 posts in this topic

I used to collect paper money from the Netherlands and actually put together a pretty complete collection of over 120 banknotes ranging from 1916 thru 1955 with a few real rarities. (I'll post photos of some of the notes here if anyone is interested.)

I sold the collection between 2003-2004 on eBay and most of the notes happily went back to the Netherlands.

I became friends with a Dutch collector who suggested the Jaap Bolten book "Dutch Banknote Design: A Compendium". He helped me order a copy and it is one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen, filled with amazing photos and in depth history.

I believe I paid about $200 for my copy, but checking Amazon the price seems to have gone up.

http://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Banknote-Design-Jaap-Bolten/dp/9024737524

$585 now, with a used copy going for over $900! (?)

If you have the means and are interested in Dutch banknotes (tiny works of art) you will love this book.

For those of you who would rather not buy the tomes regarding medals and medallists by Hawkins/Grueber and Forrer, here are some download sites.

Forrer's "Biographical Dictionary of Medallists"

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=genpub&cc=genpub&type=simple&rgn=title&q1=Biographical+Dictionary+of+Medallists&cite1=forrer&cite1restrict=author&cite2=&cite2restrict=author&firstpubl1=1705&firstpubl2=2005&Submit=Search

"Medallic Illustrations of the History of Great Britain..." by E. Hawkins and H. Grueber

http://books.google.com/books?id=A-oWAAAAYAAJ&dq=medallic+illustrations+%22hawkins%22&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=1NWjLph6Lt&sig=ElAOd1CBcEmYzk3jHkIdMNHYrmo&hl=en&ei=-dxHS8-lOY7gNbrJiJAJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

For collectors of Canadian coins and tokens, you might enjoy as I did Haxby's "Striking Impressions" regarding The Royal Canadian Mint and Canadian Coinage.

My Updated List - January 2010

This is my current numismatic library; I also have over 200 auction catalogs for world coins from US and Europe dating back to 2005. (USA - Stack, ANR, Heritage, Ira & Larry Goldberg, CNG, The Numismatic Store, Ponterio and Europe -Kuenker, Jean Elsen, USB, Dix Noonan, Dr. Busso Peus Nache, Gorny & Mosch, Hess - Devo, WAG,Cayon)

World General Reference:

Standard Catalog of World Coins (18th Century 1701-1800) – 3rd Edition,Krause and Mishler 2002

Standard Catalog of World Coins (18th Century 1801-1900) – 4th Edition,Krause and Mishler 2004

Netherlands:

Le Benelux D’Or (Gold), A. Delmonte 1964

Le Benelux D’Argent (Silver), A.Delmonte 1967

France:

Les Monnaies - Royales Francaises (987-1793), Arnaud Clairand - Michel Prieu 2008

The Anglo-Gallic Coins, E.R. Duncan Elias 1984

England:

Coins Of England and The United Kingdom – Volume I -16th Edition, Peter Seaby 1978

Gold:

Gold Coins of the World (Ancient Times – 2002) – 7th Edition, Arthur and Ira Friedberg

Gold Coins of the World (Ancient Times – 2008) – 8th Edition, Arthur and Ira Friedberg

Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins (1500s - 2004) – 5th Edition, Krause and Mishler

Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins (1500s - 2008) – 6th Edition, Krause and Mishler

Ancient Gold Coins - Deutsche Bundesbank Collection, Maria R.-Alfoldi 1983

Gold Coins Of The Middle Ages - Deutsche Bundesbank Collection, Joachim Weschke and Ursula Hagen-Jahnke 1983

Early Modern Gold Coins - Deutsche Bundesbank Collection, Ursula Hagen-Jahnke and Reinhold Walburg 1985

Gold Coins of The Americas, Robert P. Harris 1971

Historic Gold Coins of The World, Burton Hobson 1971

Contemporary World Gold Coins, Sanford J. Durst

The Dutch Gold Ducat (1586-1986), Albert A.J. Scheffers 1986

Catalogue Des Monnaies D'or Flamandes De La Collection Vernier, P. Bastien & J. Duplessy 1975

A Manual of Anglo-Gallic Gold Coins, R.D.Beresford-Jones 1964

Maria Theresa:

Corpus Nummorum Regni Mariae Theresiae, Tassilo Eypeltauer 1973

A Silver Legend, The Story of the Maria Theresa Thaler, Clara Semple 2005

Europe:

European Crowns and Talers Since 1800, John S. Davenport 1964

European Crowns 1700-1800, John S. Davenport 1964

United States:

The Official Red Book Guide Book Of United States Coins 60th Edition,

R.S. Yeoman 2007

The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars, Q. David Bowers 2004

Miscellaneous:

Confessions Of A Numismatic Fanatic: How To Get the Most Out Of Coin Collecting, Frank S. Robinson 1992

Money Of The World, Ira and Larry Goldberg 2007

Coins In History, John Porteous 1969

The Expert’s Guide To Collecting And Investing In Rare Coins, Q. David Bowers 2006

Numismatic Photography, Mark Goodman 2008

I have need of a definitive guide for Eastern Asian Coins, as well as Russian, and Australian Coins. Date range 1800-2010.

The Standard Catalog of World Coins is woefully inadequate for Chinese Coins from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Fuzzy pictures, images that don't match the year, and price guides that are miles from market value make this guide a little suspect.

Any suggestions? I'm particularly interested in China, Russia, Australia, India.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I'm a newbie, but I'm reading and searching coins 3 hours every night. I don't know much, but I do know this...I don't know much.

i would enjoy to discuss belgium books. i have been building a library, and am happy to share what i have now, and, especially would like to see what i should endeavor to acquire...

further, i would like to see a catalogue of recommended references from ngc. i know ngc has a nice library, maybe they can also share?

Beyond what has been mentioned here already, I recommend:

--The Gold Sovereign, Michael A. Marsh, Golden Jubilee edition (Cambridge Publications, 2002)

--The Gold Half Sovereign, Michael A. Marsh, Cambridge Coins, 1982

These cover the modern sovereign/half sov series back through the first ones in 1820, including all of the branch mint issues (Bombay, Perth, Sydney, etc) as well as of course London. Some of Mr. Marsh's rarity ratings are at odds with those in the Quartermaster auction catalog (Monetarium [Australia] Pty. Ltd., 2009), an enormous and complete collection of Australian ingots, patterns, proofs, sovereigns and half sovereigns, which I also consult in conjunction with these underresearched areas of numismatics.

Regarding Australian coinage, I have been told by some Australian coinage experts that the volume "Australian Coins, Notes, and Medals" by Bill Myatt and Tom Hanley (1980) is among the first references any collector should buy. I have not ordered it but it is on my want list!

I hope this helps! George

For the Mexican Republic collectors, there are two indispensible books:

One: "Resplandores" by Dunigan and Parker. Still available from Mike Dunigan Coins. There is nothing even close if you collect Republic 8 reales.

Two: "Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic" by Richard A. Long. Still available from Mr. Long or Mexican Coin Co. While a bit dated and the format is a little different, the information contained is invaluable.

For 8 escudos collectors, there are two books by the same author:

1) La Onza Main by Calico (1986) and

2) La Onza by Calico (2004)

The second is an updated, more complete (and substantially thicker) version of the first. Both are becoming quite difficult to obtain. The first book, "The Onza Main", is more affordable (and has English as well as Spanish text) and much handier in size. Unless the collector is very advanced, it should be adequate for most collectors.

It still might be possible to get a copy of the second through a book seller I used in Barcelona, Spain. If he can find anymore and if they are the same price they will be about $150 delivered in US. I recently bought 3 copies from him for gifts and my personal use. The only other copy I am aware of that is for sale is priced at $275. If anyone wants to order a copy of La Onza, I'll be glad to supply the seller's contact info. Be aware that "La Onza" is written entirely in Spanish.

David Hartill, the leading modern expert on Chinese cash coins, has now ventured across the Sea of Japan. Early Japanese Coins, published last year, contains a wealth of invaluable information, including much history, and drawings of Japanese coinage from the 7th Century through the early Meiji years before the currency overhaul of the late 19th Century in which the "yen" was created and milling replaced casting as the method of manufacture..

Check out the available (and very inexpensive) e-book format at this site.

Edited by satootoko

Coins of Lithuania 1386-2009. A Catalogue by Eugenijus Ivanauskas

500 copies printed first 100 on high quality paper.

I found this book very interesting with quality pics of most all coins as well as diameter, weight , rarity and some values.

reference book needed for The Early Peruvian Republic

I'm looking for a good reference on The Coins of Early Peru. Preferably in English or I guess Spanish. This is the period from 1822 to about WW-I or so.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Gallienus

I would like some Canada Competitive set help!

I ordered a NGC 1974 & 1975 sp67 dimes.

For some unknown reasons Canada SP dimes start at 1976!

Canada Nickel SP's start at 1953!

Please do the same for dimes!

Thanks!

Hi Everyone 

I would like to find a book or internet site/ paper....That may have details about the minting practices of the Denmark Mint for the coins for Iceland , Faroe Islands and of course Denmark it self in the first half of the 20th century.

I would greatly appreciate any help......:bigsmile:

Gudni 

For ancients, my resources are:

Aorta by Rasiel Suarez. For Roman coinage, the indispensable tool that enables me to take what I can read and use it to figure out what I can't. Incredible work. If I had to get rid of all but one book, this is the most concentrated value, so it would stay.

This is where I got my BORTE identification rubric: bust, obverse legend, reverse legend, type (reverse), exergue/fields. Once I satisfy myself that this coin is an AE4 (for example) of Cornholius with obverse legend 24) and reverse legend 97), with ASIRM in exergue, I know that my coin is under Cornholius's AE4s and I can ignore anything that doesn't have all three of those markers. That may narrow me down to about five coins, and I can then match up the other variables. Pretty soon I know exactly what I have. Suarez isn't exhaustive (no one is, that I know of), but he is as near exhaustive as my budget can obtain. His only fault, from my standpoint, is that later Eastern emperors are considered Byzantine and thus beyond the scope (thus, no Arcadius). I'll pardon him that for the sake of the many, many other Roman coins where he's enabled me to reach into the middle of all that information and say exactly what I've got. I take a little pad, write vertically B O R T E, fill in what I know or think, then start looking--if need be, using Bruck or Van Meter or even Sear to help me along.

Late Roman Bronze Coinage by Guido Bruck. Helps me to make sense of what I'm seeing, and narrow down where in Aorta to look.

The Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins by David Van Meter. Like Bruck, rarely the destination but often lights the pathway.

All the David R. Sear books, including Byzantine and Greek Imperial. I wanted these, and spent the shocking sums for them, so that I would be able to give a positive recognized ID to most Mediterranean ancients.

Classical Deception by Wayne G. Sayles. A great description of how ancient coins were minted, and how they were and are faked.

Wildwinds. Not a book, but an excellent site with many examples, photos, and descriptions. Unlike all the rest, it's legend-searchable and exergue-searchable.

Does anyone know the best way to access the complete D&H reference for Conder tokens, i.e., is there a printed book available and/or is the complete book available online? Also, are there any good references on Conder tokens besides D&H? Thanks!

1 hour ago, coinman1794 said:

Does anyone know the best way to access the complete D&H reference for Conder tokens, i.e., is there a printed book available and/or is the complete book available online? Also, are there any good references on Conder tokens besides D&H? Thanks!

Try this site for several sections of D&H.   https://issuu.com/landsum/docs/sti

SOHO produced quite a few tokens in proof and these are often mentioned in Doty's "The SOHO Mint and the Industrialization of Money". For fans of Genuine Trade Tokens within the Conders, Jon Lusk has produced the text "British and Irish Tradesmen and their Copper Tokens". R.C. Bell also produced a series of 5 or so books on various groups within the Conder series that show up on Ebay now and then . I'm not aware of internet versions of these books however. If you are not a member of the Conder Token Collectors Club, join for a modest fee and get access to the club's journal extending back over many years.

Both the PCGS and NGC pop reports break out tokens in proof if you want to get an idea what's out there.

Good luck! 

Edited by Yarm

That does appear to be the complete book except the discoveries since the book was published in 1910.  It is only usable online though.

Yarm do you have the current contact information for the CTCC?  My membership lapsed awhile back and I don't have current contact info to renew.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, Yarm said:

Try this site for several sections of D&H.   https://issuu.com/landsum/docs/sti

SOHO produced quite a few tokens in proof and these are often mentioned in Doty's "The SOHO Mint and the Industrialization of Money". For fans of Genuine Trade Tokens within the Conders, Jon Lusk has produced the text "British and Irish Tradesmen and their Copper Tokens". R.C. Bell also produced a series of 5 or so books on various groups within the Conder series that show up on Ebay now and then . I'm not aware of internet versions of these books however. If you are not a member of the Conder Token Collectors Club, join for a modest fee and get access to the club's journal extending back over many years.

Both the PCGS and NGC pop reports break out tokens in proof if you want to get an idea what's out there.

Good luck! 

Thanks for the information, Yarm! I will have to look over some of these books for information on Proof Conders; i.e., how they can be differentiated from business strikes, whether anyone referenced them in the early days (1790s-early 1800s), and whether they are really Proofs, at all. If you remember any specific books or sections I could zero in on, let me know! It sounds like Doty's "The SOHO Mint and the Industrialization of Money" is the place to start.